ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (61/253) > >>

tomos:
even though I have a license key for Win 8 Pro, I have never even tried Win 8, mainly because I was told I would have to create a Microsoft Account and log in to it!
-Curt (June 24, 2015, 03:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

there was a workaround for Win.8 - but they certainly made it seem as if you *had* to connect with that MS account. IIRC, it was a case of first accepting and then in the next step there was an opt-out option.

No idea if it's easier with 10.

Stoic Joker:
even though I have a license key for Win 8 Pro, I have never even tried Win 8, mainly because I was told I would have to create a Microsoft Account and log in to it!
-Curt (June 24, 2015, 03:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

there was a workaround for Win.8 - but they certainly made it seem as if you *had* to connect with that MS account. IIRC, it was a case of first accepting and then in the next step there was an opt-out option.

No idea if it's easier with 10.-tomos (June 24, 2015, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

LOL Nope! it's actually much worse.

In Win8.x You only had to click create new MS account, and then (find hidden at the bottom) click the use local account option. With 10 it's buried another level, So for a clean install if you want to use local accounts. You have to select the Company Owned Computer option ... Then it's the same game as Win8.x. If you select the It's My Computer option it's MS Live accounts only (during the OOBE).

Oh yeah... and if you click the wrong one there is no way to backup and choose the other short of dumping the box to force the OOBE wizard to start over.

On a side note: if you do end up going the oops dump route to start over, 10 has an odd habit of trying to login in with a "default" account for which there is no known/available password. The only way out of that little mess is to - quite counter intuitively - select "Cancel Login" which then causes it to fall back to (where you wanted to be) the OOBE Wizard.

^That little tip cost me half an hour of befuddled fiddling.

tomos:
-Stoic Joker (June 24, 2015, 06:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks for sparing us that :D

Curt:
Thank you, guys, for the answers.

However, this answer:

for a clean install if you want to use local accounts, you have to select the Company Owned Computer option. If you select the It's My Computer option, it's MS Live accounts only (during the OOBE).

if you click the wrong one, there is no way to backup

10 has an odd habit of trying to login in with a "default" account for which there is no known/available password. The only way out of that little mess is to - quite counter intuitively - select "Cancel Login".-Stoic Joker (June 24, 2015, 06:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

-made my stomach so uneasy that I totally lost my courage. Win 10 is absolutely not for me  ,  yet.    :o

MilesAhead:
-Stoic Joker (June 24, 2015, 06:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

It was likely done by that guy who words the referendums on the ballot.  Like if you don't want new taxes you have to vote yes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version