topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox with multiple rows of tabs!?  (Read 6737 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox with multiple rows of tabs!?
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:03 PM »
When I poke around/research, I start wherever, then spawn "child pages" into the new tabs. But I have a limited capacity for dealing with the holistic flow after about seven tabs or so, especially because half way through I start with a new "top node page".

I'm not so worried about every last pixel of vertical space - so it would be an amusing addon that you can have multiple rows of tabs so if your have say five main topics going on, each topic gets its own line and then you intuitively know all the spawned tabs belong to that top node. (Maybe a couple misc junk lines you don't care about at the bottom.)

The best I can do so far is use my desktop splitter, then multi browser tabs, x tabs per browser, and the browser windows are color coded because FF main is orange and Palemoon is blue.

But multi tab rows would be neat.

:)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox with multiple rows of tabs!?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 04:12 AM »
Tab mix plus allows multiple rows and lots of control over tabs, but I dont think it'll do the new row for each topic...

Very worth having anyway imo. Doesnt seem to be available for pale moon, I'm using Tab Utilities there which is similar (but less flexible in my experience so far).
Tom

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 07:05 AM »
Doesnt seem to be available for pale moon,

Hmmm...I am using Tab Mix Plus in Pale Moon, without any issues. It's installed primarily for this multi-row tabs feature.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 07:31 AM »
Yes, Tab Mix Plus works perfectly in Pale Moon...and while you can't configure which tabs pop up on which rows, you can group tabs together in order of importance in a rudimentary way.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 09:12 AM »
That's most of the way there! But is there any way to adjust how many tabs / width per tab before it creates a row, maybe a toggleable setting? Right now it seems to be ten.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 09:36 AM »
That's most of the way there! But is there any way to adjust how many tabs / width per tab before it creates a row, maybe a toggleable setting? Right now it seems to be ten.

Screenshot - 2014-05-06 , 16_18_53.pngFirefox with multiple rows of tabs!?

I'd recommend going through all the tab mix plus options to see what's possible

thanks to app & Innuendo for the news it works in Pale Moon (I searched via the add-ons page and it wasn't offered to me, so I just presumed it didnt work...)

Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 03:14 PM »

I did briefly, but nothing jumped out at me. It does a lot of stuff like duplicate tab rename, freeze, reload, etc, but I didn't see what I'd think would have been a numerical setting like tabs/row.

But good enough for now!

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 06:56 PM »

Tab Mix Plus options....Display 'button'...Tab 'tab'...down at the bottom you can set how many pixels wide each tab is.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 07:02 PM »
There we go!

So great work gang!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 04:16 AM »

I did briefly, but nothing jumped out at me. It does a lot of stuff like duplicate tab rename, freeze, reload, etc, but I didn't see what I'd think would have been a numerical setting like tabs/row.

oh, I should have been more specific - the option was shown under the cursor in my screenshot above. On another note I'm now happily using it on Pale Moon as well :up:
Tom