topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Surfulater at BdJ today ($39.50)  (Read 8882 times)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Surfulater at BdJ today ($39.50)
« on: November 23, 2012, 09:14 AM »
Seems to be a long-time favorite among DU regulars.

Surfulater PC Software with a 50% off Discount Coupon Code
http://www.bitsdujou...software/surfulater/

You may want to read the comments section though. Upcoming release of Surfulater is going into the cloud.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Surfulater at BdJ today ($39.50)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:21 PM »
Yes, including me.

You may want to read the comments section though. Upcoming release of Surfulater is going into the cloud.
Yes, that makes me a little nervous, but Neville (the developer) has said that there would also be a locally installed option whose contents would be on the user's computer, so that it can be used even without being connected to the Internet.  So I'm cautiously optimistic that one of my favorite programs will continue as a favorite.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:51 PM »
I don't think there's anything to worry about.  Neville has heard the feedback that people don't want to be forced to store data on the cloud. From some comments he's made, it seems as though he's planning to provide the best of both worlds - keep your data local if that's what you want, but also provide the *option* of storing your data in the cloud so it's accessible from anywhere you are.

I have faith that he'll do the right thing.  Synchronization is the one thing I *really* miss in Surfulater, and I'm hoping that the cloud-based storage will solve that problem for me.  As long as the cloud storage is secure and I can move the data off the cloud if I decide that's necessary then I'll be happy.

If Neville can make it so the cloud storage is under my control (on my own web server or Amazon S3 or something), I'll be thrilled.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 06:10 PM »
If Neville can make it so the cloud storage is under my control
I haven't done this with Surfulater, but I presume you would be able to put it "in the Cloud" already like most other databases - by using a CloudDrive - e.g., (say) Google Drive, Box.net, SkyDrive, or similar.
I'm not sure, but I presume that if you put into the local (PC-based) Google Drive folder a reparse point (Junction folder) that links to the surfulater database folder on the PC, then presumably up the the pipe its contents would go, and after every change also. Then you could access that folder from the CloudDrive via other PCs.
I shall try it out and see when I have some time later today.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 10:50 PM »
After my comment above, I made a floow-up comment about it, here: Re: Grab Free Desktop Syncing Plus 25GB Storage Space on Box (Lifehacker 2012-08-15)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 07:13 AM »
http://www.bitsdujou.../software/surfulater
Monday 13 May 2013
50% off: $40 instead of $80

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 02:22 AM »

Surfulater PC Software with a 50% off Discount Coupon Code
http://www.bitsdujou...software/surfulater/

and again today, Thursday 21. November 2013

http://www.bitsdujou.../software/surfulater

2013-11-21_092128.gif

What is your upgrade policy?

All updates to the current version number are free, while major upgrades are provided at a 50% discount for existing users. For example, if you bought 3.0, every 3.x update will be free for you. Additionally, 4.0 will be available at 50% off. Finally, anyone who bought a version within 90 calendar days of the release of another major version will receive a free upgrade. For example, if you bought 3.0 on January 20th, and 4.0 is released on February 28th, you will receive 4.0 for free.

---

Do you offer a Money back Guarantee?

Yes, we offer a 30-day unconditional money back guarantee. However we ask you to please evaluate the Free Trial before purchasing, to avoid unnecessary refunds.
-Q&A
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:33 AM by Curt, Reason: Q&A »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 03:20 PM »
Because of "SNG" (Surfulater Next Generation), I am inclined to think the present version (without SNG) is a better choice for some. One some being me! I have a visual memory, I know where my stuff is placed because I can visualize the location. What can confuse me, is what words I should type, if I were to search for my stuff, only by using tags. Next Gen is all about tags; skipping the folders and replacing them with tags. Surfulater Next Gen is  most likely not for me.

Of course Surfulater Next Gen must be expected to be version 4, a major version's upgrade.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 09:27 AM »
I'm somewhat apprehensive about SNG, but I'm also somewhat optimistic.  I see how incredibly well first Powermarks and now Linkman (my old and my present bookmark managers) work for me based on the keywords I use, and I think tags will probably be quite similar. 

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 01:03 PM »
You should read the recent blog post about tagging in SNG:

Tags can be nested, letting you use a neatly structured tags hierarchy or tags tree. And you can use as many levels as you want.

It appears that SNG's tags will give the best of both worlds from hierarchical folder organization to free-form tagging.

Neville is also taking very seriously customers thoughts on SNG's reliance on the cloud, and seems committed to making it something that people can tailor to how *they* want their data stored:

- http://blog.surfulat.../22/to-cloud-or-not/

I think that SNG will likely be an awesome product (I really want the ability to reliably sync SUL databases).  The drawback is that it may take a while to get here. I can't wait.

twinkler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • technophobic technophile
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Neville just announced the alpha release of Surfulater NextGen.