topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Bits - Ultra Recall  (Read 26987 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bits - Ultra Recall
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 12:51 PM »
LM7, do you know that those registry fixes have been updated to accommodate Office 2010? They were previously only valid up to Office 2007, IIRC.

In Office 2010 Microsoft added the "Microsoft Office Software Protection Platform Service", mainly to take Office files out of the situations/locations where macro-type worms and the like can be easily planted. One of its changes was to disallow the opening of Office files in Internet Explorer, which is how Ultra Recall accesses them as it uses IE for its internal browser. I know that when Office 2010 was initially released those registry keys did not fix the issue and in some cases caused problems with IE7 (or it might have been IE8?) and Office 2010. Then when IE 9 was released and caused problems for all or most apps that used IE for their internal browsers, users had to uninstall IE9, which automatically dropped users back to IE8 (IF they used the Office Uninstall link in the Start Menu). The registry keys to be added look the same as they were for Office 2007.

I did search around for a fix to allow opening Office files in IE, but all I could find was the opposite - ways to prevent that! If those registry fixes work for Office 2010 I'll make the changes immediately! I prefer doing it manually so I can backup each key I remove before making any changes.

Thanks!

Jim

LM7

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 02:19 AM »
LM7, do you know that those registry fixes have been updated to accommodate Office 2010? They were previously only valid up to Office 2007, IIRC.

I did search around for a fix to allow opening Office files in IE, but all I could find was the opposite - ways to prevent that! If those registry fixes work for Office 2010 I'll make the changes immediately! I prefer doing it manually so I can backup each key I remove before making any changes.

Thanks!

Jim

Hi Jim!

I tried the registry fix on my computer with Office 2010, downloading the relevant file from the UR forum post which I had mentioned previously, and it worked perfectly! (I am using a Win 7 32 bit computer.)

Just for the record, though, I should note that this worked under IE 8, because I encountered problems with IE 9 in UR: I cannot access Gmail in UR's internal browser with  IE 9 installed.

Also, it is by no means impossible that while the aforementioned registry fix worked fine on my computer, it won't on other people's computers. (I tested all of this after taking a Rollback RX snapshot, just to make sure I could recover my previous configuration easily in case something got messed up...)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 04:25 AM »
Thanks LM!

I think I'll check it out a little more first. My computer is a new one and is running Windows 7 64-bit. I had to drop back to IE8 too on the old box but naturally the new one came with a fresh copy of IE9 on it. Thus far UR seems to be running OK other than not being able to view Office docs internally here. And since I know that the 2010 docs can be an issue I'm not yet blaming that on IE9.

Hmm, usually I would just jump in and try out the registry fix anyway, but with the new machine I'm acting like someone with a new car in a mall parking lot! I'll keep trying to check out the fix first!

Thanks again!

Jim

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 12:43 PM »
first study the future...:

1) http://blog.surfulat...whats-neville-up-to/

Are they talking about apps that run in the browser? (:shudder:)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 03:20 AM »
at Bits du Jour again today, 11 July 2012: http://www.bitsdujou...ware/ultra-recall-2/

2012-07-11_101809.gif

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 09:13 PM »
at Bits du Jour again today, 11 July 2012: http://www.bitsdujou...ware/ultra-recall-2/

(see attachment in previous post)

Good deal if you don’t have UR and want it. But this is a so-called "major upgrade" for which existing users are asked to pay $50 while the release has NO new features - unless you consider Windows 8 compatibility a new feature. Blah.

Jim

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 01:18 PM »
2013 October 28'th. Once again the deal is $19 for UR2 Standard or $39 for UR2 Professional.
He has promised that next major version is at least a year away in the future.

http://www.bitsdujou...tware/ultra-recall-2

Each license of UR2 may either be used by a single person who uses the UR2 personally on one or more computers, or installed on a single computer used non-simultaneously by multiple people, but not both. This is not a concurrent use license.

http://kinook.com/Ul...licenseagreement.htm

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 02:43 AM »
-the offer is still on for today, Tuesday 29'th of October 2013

2013 October 28'th. Once again the deal is $19 for UR2 Standard or $39 for UR2 Professional. He has promised that next major version is at least a year away in the future. http://www.bitsdujou...tware/ultra-recall-2