topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Collectorz' bold new subscription-based update plans - brilliant? or suicidal?  (Read 23103 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So, wait, I can invest time into a program but unless I pay yearly, I lose access to any data I've stored in the program? No thanks. I should be able to use, without restriction, the version I purchased, even after expiration. Otherwise, I am simply wasting my money.

Likewise, the computer licensing model seems highly restrictive...Thanks, but no thanks.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So, wait, I can invest time into a program but unless I pay yearly, I lose access to any data I've stored in the program? No thanks. I should be able to use, without restriction, the version I purchased, even after expiration. Otherwise, I am simply wasting my money.

Likewise, the computer licensing model seems highly restrictive...Thanks, but no thanks.

@Josh - No. You don't. The subscription is to cover software updates to the program. The program itself does not require a web connection to work a la the Steam model. Once it's validated it works forever. And all your data is stored locally.

As far as licenses go, I've seen worse. But whenever you don't like the license or the product you can always vote with your wallet and go elsewhere. I did. I didn't like the changes that were made to the way it worked. And I wasn't crazy about the new licensing model either.

Funny thing is, each time I figure I'll replace all my my collection paper card files with something on a computer, I always go back to using index cards.

tffgh.jpg

Guess I'm still old fashioned enough to just want to get it done with the least amount of effort on my part.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:45 PM by 40hz »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK, I mis-read that then! Thanks for the clarification. I was going to lose it if there was actually an author bold enough to remove access to data unless you pay :)

:beerchug:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK, I mis-read that then! Thanks for the clarification. I was going to lose it if there was actually an author bold enough to remove access to data unless you pay :)

:beerchug:

Oh...IIRC there have been a few app programmers that have tried that stunt. And anything that exclusively lives in the cloud works that way by default. So if you don't keep (or aren't allowed to make) a local copy - you're SOL. So it's a very real concern you have. Probably more so now than ever.

:beerchug: And next round is on me! ;D

xiaoyuandlg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Doesn't really address the issue - if you have to send a manual request for every missing film and wait 24 hours - it is supposed to be a convnient and quick way to catalogue your collection. With that level of interaction with developers it would probably be more convenient to use Excel.

I gave up using the film software because in the UK there were practically no films actually in the database once they removed IMDB/Amazon and other sources of information as they have different bar codes site to the US versions. I didn't see why I should provide massive amounts of data so they can sell it!

I think that I can't agree more with this!