topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Waze - crowd sourced navigation  (Read 6471 times)

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
Waze - crowd sourced navigation
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Anyone used Waze?

http://world.waze.com

What are waze drivers building?

Waze is a social mobile application providing free turn-by-turn navigation based on the live conditions of the road.
100% powered by users, the more you drive, the better it gets. Join the community of drivers in your area today!

Here's also a video introduction: YouTube - Waze guided tour

It's a free navigator, with free map, traffic and warning info. The cool thing is that the map is dynamic, and one could actually contribute to it simply driving around, tracing new roads, or going to the online map editor and fixing things (only on the travelled routes).

They started in Israel some time ago, and now they claim to have the best map & traffic data for the region. On some countries they start providing a base map obtained trough some parteners, while in others they start with a blank canvas (like in Italy, currently).
I looked at it time some months ago and my zone was basically clear. I retried the other day, and found many streets around here, including some recent features / modifications that haven't showed up yet on the cartography from the usual suspects, Tele Atlas and Navteq.
Some friends from major cities (like Rome, or Milan) say that they are actually already using it for their commute, since the reaction times on changing traffic conditions are very good.

The actual navigation application is available for Android, iPhone, WM and Symbian (not sure for BlackBarry).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:50 PM by Mark0 »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Waze - crowd sourced navigation
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:00 AM »
Looks very cool, similar to an idea I had on the way home from work a few months ago. Not surprising it wasn't a unique idea. I'm glad to see this actually exists and, with time, it could become a major source of one-of-a-kind info, or at the least a great crowd-sourced aggregator of info like Wikipedia. I'll definitely keep my eye on it...

- Oshyan

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 06:20 AM »
Oh goody, another reason for people in traffic to be on the phone...

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:17 PM »
Having had more time to test it, it's pretty rough at present. Search doesn't work well, at least not for the specific addresses I tried, the map view is slow and clunky and doesn't always update, and features are not obvious. There's a lot of promise in this, but I think they could have avoided reinventing the wheel by leveraging an existing mapping service and laying their data on top, e.g. Google Maps API. That would help a lot with the "nothing in my area" feeling which really discourages use IMO, and would also mean their maps are driven by a major technology provider who will continue improving their maps systems and has a greater ability to provide good performance. By comparison Google Maps is very smooth...

P.S. Stoic, text message to this system from a user on the road... "Traffic is really heavy at 4th ave and... scratch that, accident at 4th ave and Lincoln, I just rear-ended someone." :P

- Oshyan

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 02:32 PM »
[...] by leveraging an existing mapping service and laying their data on top, e.g. Google Maps API.

That could have been possible in some places, maybe specifically in the USA, but non everywhere. In the USA, Google have now his own cartography, so they can use it, share, etc. as they see fit in their strategies. Elsewhere, for example in Europe, Google use data licensed from Tele Atlas (and maybe Navteq), with some specific restrictions on the usage: turn by turn direction come to mind, for example, and that explain why Google Maps Navigation isn't available (officially) here.

Waze anyway does have some deal with other cartography providers; in some regions they used such data to draw a basic grid of unnamed roads.
But I think that their general idea is in facts to come up with new, user generated maps.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 02:38 PM »
P.S. Stoic, text message to this system from a user on the road... "Traffic is really heavy at 4th ave and... scratch that, accident at 4th ave and Lincoln, I just rear-ended someone." :P

- Oshyan
:Thmbsup:

While I do realize that eventually all of this gadgetry nonsense will finally gel into something SiFi wonderful ... I can't help but wonder who wants to cart around all this crap & why the hell do they have to fire it up when they're in my lane? (eyes-on-the-road/petal-to-the-metal/get-er-done.)

...I'll go away now - carry-on.

:)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 02:48 PM »
[...] by leveraging an existing mapping service and laying their data on top, e.g. Google Maps API.

That could have been possible in some places, maybe specifically in the USA, but non everywhere. In the USA, Google have now his own cartography, so they can use it, share, etc. as they see fit in their strategies. Elsewhere, for example in Europe, Google use data licensed from Tele Atlas (and maybe Navteq), with some specific restrictions on the usage: turn by turn direction come to mind, for example, and that explain why Google Maps Navigation isn't available (officially) here.

Waze anyway does have some deal with other cartography providers; in some regions they used such data to draw a basic grid of unnamed roads.
But I think that their general idea is in facts to come up with new, user generated maps.

I wasn't even so much referring to the map data as the user interface and speed. Google Maps (and Yahoo Maps and Bing Maps for that matter) performs much better than this thing on 2 test machines so far, and multiple different browsers. It's just slow and clunky. So even if they weren't able to use map data from the provider outside the US, the API and map display technology is still useful IMO.

- Oshyan

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 10:37 PM »
Do not get me wrong but this is  somewhat flawed logic. :)

"Real-time maps and traffic information based on the wisdom of the crowd"

When everyone knows everyone else`s move as soon as everyone else moves, I do not expect much wisdom based on the data gathered from the other`s wisdom. I would rather see a "rush" in the crowds wisdom to expand their gain. Although for now it might work for those on the network compare dto the those not on the network. However when everyone is on the network this idea would rather diminish the gains of everyone who was enjoying it for a while before everyone else has joined the party,

It would be nice to see a video of a past event to see how this crowd wisdom helps.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 10:40 PM by kartal »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:51 PM »
It sounds cool in theory, but it does seem pretty rough. I say that and I haven't even tried it yet. I just downloaded it to my Android phone and during the account creation process it didn't even use a password field for the form. In other words, my password was displayed in plain text on my phone.

Seriously? Password fields have only been around since the beginning of the internet (or before!), but they can't even get that right?

Also, it's showing things in the event list that are happening over 500 miles away. . .

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google to acquire Waze at an estimated price of $1.3 billion
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 01:43 AM »
old thread but this is a good measure of how far the startup has come since then.

http://www.forbes.co...st-map-of-the-world/
http://www.forbes.co...-google-to-buy-waze/