topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sticky notes for Linux?  (Read 7351 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sticky notes for Linux?
« on: June 29, 2011, 09:51 PM »
I would really like a sticky note app for Linux that is comparable to Notezilla on Windows.

Specifically, I'd like one where I can hide notes, arrange them on either multiple boards or in a tree, schedule repeating alarms (with snooze option), and the ability for them be scheduled to open urls.

Does anyone know of such an app?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sticky notes for Linux?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 03:03 AM »
found this, might be useful.

http://www.makeuseof...notes-app-for-linux/

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 05:27 AM »
I'm not aware of anything running on NIX that duplicates Notezilla's complete feature set.

But that doesn't surprise me since the underlying Unix philosophy semi-frowns on 'kitchen sink' feature sets, preferring the "this program does one thing only - but it does it extremely well" approach. I guess that assumes everybody is a shell script maven (and all the data is still stored as plain text files) so it sould be a "simple matter" to just write a script that pipes things back and forth between ten different apps to get whatever features you want.

Yeah, right! :-\

Anyway, as you probably already know, the top notetaking apps for NIX are Tomboy, BasKet Note Pads, KNotes, and Xpad.

FWIW I use BasKet and Xpad. :)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 06:06 AM »
Anyway, as you probably already know, the top notetaking apps for NIX are Tomboy, BasKet Note Pads, KNotes, and Xpad.

I haven't taken a look at BasKet, but as far as I can tell, the other 3 don't have any sort of alarms.

I got Notezilla working under wine, and so far it seems to be running ok...alarms are going off and urls are opening when they should. The only problem I have with it so far is that drag & drop of notes on the desktop is kind of wonky. The bar on the top of the notes detach themselves when dragging, and you have to go short distances and wait for the rest of the note to catch up with the bar, otherwise you have to start all over again. Lucky for me I don't keep that many notes on the desktop and prefer to store most of my 500+ notes in the memoboards.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 06:28 AM »
I got Notezilla working under wine, ...

Sure. Why not?  ;D

I have to admire someone who refuses to take "not available" for an answer. (And wine has gotten pretty useful now that the average PC's hardware can handle what it does.) Done good! :greenclp:

P.S. BasKet is a little weird, so expect a minor learning curve if you decide to try it. It's no big deal. But it can be a little confusing at first. Just my 2¢.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:34 AM by 40hz »