topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Trying to create an external enclosure I can slip a bare HDD into.  (Read 4247 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone, I'm attempting to create a special external hard disk enclosure.  What makes it special is it's universal versatility in every sense of the word.  Firstly, I want to be able to take any full size SATA hard drive and slip it in/out of the enclosure.  Bare.  I don't want to screw the drive in, nor do I want to use a tray of any kind.  So, just like this:
mobilerack.gif

Now, that drive caddy pictured above can fit into any 5.25" standard slot.  So I'm assuming I can find an enclosure that is meant for a normal optical drive (cd/dvd/bluray) and instead of sticking in an optical drive, I slip in that thing above which will then allow me to slide in a Sata drive in and out without any extra screwing or trays.  Pretty cool, right?

So then I thought, why not just use one of these universal hard drive adapter cable thingies?  See below:
12-156-102-S09.jpg

And I already have one of those, and they are great.  However, there's something about having a bare hard drive hanging off of a cable that I find uncomfortable.  So that's why i want an enclosure...but a very flexible one.

The problem I am running into is the enclosure itself.  I want one that can not only support that hard drive sliding device, but I also want one that has connectors for USB, firewire, and esata all available.  So finding something with all these requirements is proving rather difficult.

Any thoughts?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Trying to create an external enclosure I can slip a bare HDD into.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 05:02 PM »
what you are asking for is readily available everywhere and we've talked about it in the past plenty of times.

for example: http://www.newegg.co...d=1&name=5.25%22

just make sure it has an open front for optical drives and it will hold those rack systems fine. i've used one for many of years and like it a lot.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:04 PM by mouser »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 05:41 PM »
Or if you're only interested in being able to quickly swap HDDs and you don't care about other things (Optical Drives), you can get a "Toaster."

imgres.jpg
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:45 PM by Deozaan »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 05:55 PM »
what you are asking for is readily available everywhere and we've talked about it in the past plenty of times.

for example: http://www.newegg.co...d=1&name=5.25%22

just make sure it has an open front for optical drives and it will hold those rack systems fine. i've used one for many of years and like it a lot.
Thanks!  Actually, the more helpful part is knowing that you've been using this happily.  I wasn't sure if there was some thing about it I was missing that would make it frustrating to use.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 05:56 PM »
only words of advice i would give is to make sure you get a rack which doesnt use a special inner tray.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 06:56 AM »
On a related note, I recently purchased the Coolmax 3.5" HDD external enclosure, and have been using it in conjunction with Microsoft SyncToy to backup my laptop. 

Inexpensive, and works great.

But I'm getting ready to get a new desktop PC and I'm glad I read this thread.  I think having a hot-swappable bay for hard drives is the way to go.  Will definitely keep this in mind! 

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 08:44 AM »
Or if you're only interested in being able to quickly swap HDDs and you don't care about other things (Optical Drives), you can get a "Toaster."
 (see attachment in previous post)

I have a couple of the ones pictured, one with eSata, and they work REALLY well. So well that I haven't had any problem with the drives over heating due to being plugged in and powered up all the time. Can't say the same for a traditional enclosure (I've had plenty of those drives fail, I think, due to poor air circulation).