topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: install win7 32 or 64 bit on a 4 gig ram machine - opinions, please.  (Read 26942 times)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, for me it's 4 new sticks 1gb each replacing 2 bad sticks 1gb each.
Ran memtest from memtest86 and W7's memdiag. on the first two to find they were bad.
So I upgraded to this computers max of 4gb.
Came out clean with both mem testers.
But I was still getting blue screens,
sometimes at startup and sometimes after everything was loaded in W7.

BothXP Pro and W7 would only show 3gb usable, while showing I did indeed have 4gb of mem.
Some limitation with 32bit.
ACPI is on in the bios in the setup default as well.

XP is not blue screening while W7 did.
Same Memory-4gb.

If I could do it over I would have bought the W7 64 to read all my memory.
But I don't know if that would blue screen either, cause I haven't tried it....yet.

edit-Don't think I will either
this computer I've had since 2005.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:03 PM by cmpm »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Afaik that still requires you to run in test-signing mode, 4wd.

Going by the instructions, you only need test mode if you want to then run your self-signed driver on another system which, (naturally), doesn't have the system certificate it was signed with.

Making Other Systems Accept the Signed Driver

Clearly this is a solution of limited value, as the only copy of 64-bit Windows that is happy with your app/driver now is the one that you just did the work on.  The signature on the driver only works there because makecert installed the root certificate for your driver signature in your local driver store.

To me that reads as if the resultant signed file will work on the signing system without requiring test mode.

But without actually having something to test it with -

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If I could do it over I would have bought the W7 64 to read all my memory.
But I don't know if that would blue screen either, cause I haven't tried it....yet.

Did you buy OEM or retail? If retail MS will ship you the 64-bit version for a pittance of shipping and handling. If you bought OEM MS won't ship you anything which I think is a bit of a rip. In such a case if I were you I wouldn't have any guilt over obtaining a 64-bit disc by other means.

The 32-bit & 64-bit versions even use the same keys so it's not like you'd be pirating anything because all the software manufacturers drill into our heads it's not the media you are buying it's the license key & if that license key can be used with both versions of Windows 7 I think that's a legal avenue to explore.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BothXP Pro and W7 would only show 3gb usable, while showing I did indeed have 4gb of mem.
Some limitation with 32bit.

Depending on what hardware you have in your machine you are very unlikely to see more than 3.3Gb of RAM in a 32 bit system and if your grapgics card has large onboard memory you are likely to see less than that (which probably accounts for the the 3Gb only). Vista and 7 do recognise that you have 4Gb available but the way it works is that any devices with mapped memory (eg. graphics cards) is removed from your 4Gb so that it can be mapped.

If Windows 7 32-bit is blue screening and the memory is OK I would guess it is a driver issue. I am starting to come across a number of systems (32 and 64 bit) that are having issues with drivers installing out of the box. This includes my own desktop system - I tried to install 7 and Vista, both 32-bit and 64-bit and all 4 versions blue screened. My motherboard is Vista certified and my graphics card is identical to one I use on another machine with windows 7 so I suspect it is another piece of hardware present in my desktop box that is causing the problem At the moment I can't be bothered to fix it but when I get round to it I will need to remove all inessential hardware before the install and then add them back bit by bit and download the relevant drivers from the manufacturer because obviously something doesn't like the drivers supplied by MS during Windows setup.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, yeah I think I'll try.
I got it at a school discount, but that should not matter.

I have to get over my general hatred of the whole mess to speak to them first.
Damned, if they didn't do this on purpose, it was a major screw-up.

I'm back on XP and this is a media center as well, so I don't know....
W7 had trouble with my tv tuner card (ati), working for a bit then loosing the tuner's signal.
Works fine with XP media center installed, glad I had called for that disk long ago.

Seems the W7 disk is an enterprise update disk.
Printed on the disk is "Licensed for use only by Students and Staff"
Sounds plural to me.
I have it on my laptop as well, so I don't feel I've wasted my money....sorta...:)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes Carol, I hear ya.
Investigated all that the best I could.
The thing is it worked fine with only 2gb of memory, but when you go over that, it throws a hissy.
I have 512 nvidia 8600 graphics card.

It just seems a bit crazy, all that mapping stuff, to me anyway.
When the card has it's own memory....

I read another thread on it here at DC and a bunch of other sites.

edit-

Since this is a W7 upgrade disk, it will not activate or even install fully unless I have XP up and running.
So I have to install XP first then upgrade to W7 if I want to try.
XP is on right now, and it takes a while, like 2 days to get it fully loaded.
A 2005 disk needs a lot of updates and removing the ton of included extra programs.
The darn thing has norton, mcafee, aol and some other unwanted, not needed, outdated stuff.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:53 AM by cmpm »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If Win 7 installs and with 2Gb there is no reason why it shouldn't do so with 4Gb.

Have you checked BIOS settings (if you tweak them revert them to the safe default settings). In particular make sure your memory settings are conservative.

If that isn't the issue have you checked for a BIOS update for your motherboard - from what you are describing it sounds like either a memory issue or a motherboard issue.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Probably needs a bios update, yes.
I'm not confident to do it though.
The chances of turning it into a door stop.

what does this mean?

In particular make sure your memory settings are conservative.

Something about the memory mhz or overclocking?
Used the same type of memory/mhz it came with.

edit-gotta go to work ttyl

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I have done hundreds of these now and never once turned one into a door stop.  IF you follow the directions they are actually easier to upgrade than most software.

what does this mean?

In particular make sure your memory settings are conservative.
It means go into your current BIOS and reset to factory default before upgrading the BIOS.  This limits the exposure to corruption because of settings in the old BIOS being outside the parameters accepted by the new BIOS (which assumes bad hardware if it is outside the parameters - read doorstop).

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

The important points to BIOS updating are:

1) Be 100% certain that you download the correct BIOS update for your motherboard direct from the manufacturer's website. Model numbers are always printed on the motherboard somewhere (often between the expansion slots - you may need a torch!). However, if it is a factory built computer system from a big box shifting manufacturer don't rely on the printed model number on the motherboard as manufacturer's often buy cheaper modified versions of motherboards and supply limited BIOS options - you then can't 100% guarantee that the BIOS from the motherboard manufacturer is completely compatible  (though I have to say I have used this method to release previously unavailable BIOS options and never had a doorstop at the end - but you should be aware of the issue).

2) If you are happy to upgrade the BIOS follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter

3) If things seem to take longer than expected don't be tempted to do anything silly (such as press the OFF button or reset) go and get a strong drink and come back later.

Having said all that I agree with steeladept - I have performed more BIOS updates than I can remember and have never (touch wood) killed a motherboard yet by doing so.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the replies and help.
I have considered updating the bios.
I've done it once on anther machine successfully.

Here's what I'm looking at from gateway support.
Which doesn't seem updated enough.

This is after input of my computer serial number,
and scanning current configuration, with available downloads.
So these are for this Computer.

current.pnginstall win7 32 or 64 bit on a 4 gig ram machine - opinions, please.

bios downloads.pnginstall win7 32 or 64 bit on a 4 gig ram machine - opinions, please.

motherboard.pnginstall win7 32 or 64 bit on a 4 gig ram machine - opinions, please.

[Edit - just to make the images easily viewable in the post. Carol]

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:22 PM by Carol Haynes »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Your current BIOS seems to have been superseded by 4 versions. Try the top one (5/2/2007) which is designed to add support for Vista (and by implication it is the one most likely to be best with Windows 7).

Windows 7 should install the correct drivers for the motherboard automatically but it cannot hurt to download the latest versions and have them ready. The motherboard driver listed there is ancient - try using something like Speccy or SIW to correctly identify the motherboard and look on the chipmaker's website for the most recent version with Windows Vista/7 support (from the images above it looks like it is an Intel chipset).

Speccy: http://www.piriform.com/speccy/builds (use the portable version)
SIW: http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html (go for the free version without installer)

Once you have found out which chipset you can look for a driver here:

http://downloadcente...efault.aspx?lang=eng
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:36 PM by Carol Haynes »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, maybe I can do it in the near future.
A weekend or more...lol.
Not after work during the week though.
Need time without certain limits to work on it.

Will my current XP operating system stay intact?

I do appreciate the links and help.
Good incentive to update.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bios update worked! Easier then I thought, thanks.
It actually flashed it twice cause it was so old,
and stated that may happen in the instructions,
which I followed.

The other computer I flashed, I had to from the 3.5 disk.
Yeah a long time ago.
It's been while and I couldn't remember if it kept the OS, which it did.
Still reading only 3gb memory, but normal, right?

Not ready to do W7 yet, I think I'll make a full backup first.
So I don't have to start from scratch again for XP if needed.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yep - 3Gb is probably about correct.

Backup is a good idea.

When installing Windows 7 remember to unplug any extra hardware (eg. external drives, printers, multiple monitors etc.) Make your system as simple as possible.

Good luck ;)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
W7 had trouble with my tv tuner card (ati), working for a bit then loosing the tuner's signal.
Works fine with XP media center installed, glad I had called for that disk long ago.

I use an ATI tuner card with Windows 7 & it works great. I record stuff off of cable all the time....when I remember I have a tuner card in my PC! I went so many years without one I often forget it's there.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Having said all that I agree with steeladept - I have performed more BIOS updates than I can remember and have never (touch wood) killed a motherboard yet by doing so.
-Carol Haynes (June 21, 2010, 06:55 AM)

Oh! Oh! :: jumping up and down ::

I've killed one! It was an ancient Compaq & I booted up the PC, inserted the disk with the upgrade on it, and started the flash routine. The flash program checked to make sure the BIOS file was the right one for the PC, it flashed the file, read it back again to verify the integrity of the flash, it said everything was A-OK and to reboot.

Turned off the PC & turned it back on and....a glowing power light with no other activity. Nothing could revive it. Stupid Compaq....

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Progress update-

Looks like the bios update is what was needed.
Got lost in Intel's site, so I'll let W7 figure it out.
No blue Screens, still 3gb usable memory.
Thanks to all and especially Carol.
(btw, what did you use to adjust my uploaded pics for better viewing in that post, Carol)

Dual booting right now with XP and W7, plus a backup of XP.
I haven't checked everything yet as it is still updating.
I just loaded it earlier today and I know there will be some more updates, before I start loading what I want on W7.
I expect I'll go back to full W7 again, not sure, XP doesn't take much room but still needs to be booted into from time to time to keep it updated.

Thanks again,
Clay

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Had to upgrade the sound drivers and software manually.
Originally this gateway 840GM used Intel audio with the missing sonic drivers warning.
Auto update will auto update the codec to 'IDT' on XP, but not a full install of the software and drivers for some reason.

No install at all for W7, but I found the full download for W7 and XP here.

http://download.cnet...0-2110_4-169457.html

For XP it works normally and places a tray icon in the tray.
Upgrading the use of all jacks on the computer.
With our without this upgrade you can here sound but the jack configuratio is not accessible.

For W7 it works normally, but there is a splash screen that stays up when restarted or rebooted with it's control panel. Disable IDT in msconfig so that the program interface doesn't pop up and stay there. No icon in the tray, but it can be accessed via control panel in windows 7 with access to front and rear jack settings and more.
Otherwise, there is no sound at all for W7 for this particular computer without this IDT codec update.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well done - glad you got it working.

To insert image use the drop down on the left (Link Inline Image ...) so the article I edited became this:

Thanks for the replies and help.
I have considered updating the bios.
I've done it once on anther machine successfully.

Here's what I'm looking at from gateway support.
Which doesn't seem updated enough.

This is after input of my computer serial number,
and scanning current configuration, with available downloads.
So these are for this Computer.

[attachthumb=1][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=2][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=3][/attachthumb]

The 1,2,3 refer to the order in which the images were attached to the message.