ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

install win7 32 or 64 bit on a 4 gig ram machine - opinions, please.

<< < (9/9)

Innuendo:
W7 had trouble with my tv tuner card (ati), working for a bit then loosing the tuner's signal.
Works fine with XP media center installed, glad I had called for that disk long ago.-cmpm (June 21, 2010, 04:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I use an ATI tuner card with Windows 7 & it works great. I record stuff off of cable all the time....when I remember I have a tuner card in my PC! I went so many years without one I often forget it's there.

Innuendo:
Having said all that I agree with steeladept - I have performed more BIOS updates than I can remember and have never (touch wood) killed a motherboard yet by doing so.-Carol Haynes (June 21, 2010, 06:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh! Oh! :: jumping up and down ::

I've killed one! It was an ancient Compaq & I booted up the PC, inserted the disk with the upgrade on it, and started the flash routine. The flash program checked to make sure the BIOS file was the right one for the PC, it flashed the file, read it back again to verify the integrity of the flash, it said everything was A-OK and to reboot.

Turned off the PC & turned it back on and....a glowing power light with no other activity. Nothing could revive it. Stupid Compaq....

cmpm:
Progress update-

Looks like the bios update is what was needed.
Got lost in Intel's site, so I'll let W7 figure it out.
No blue Screens, still 3gb usable memory.
Thanks to all and especially Carol.
(btw, what did you use to adjust my uploaded pics for better viewing in that post, Carol)

Dual booting right now with XP and W7, plus a backup of XP.
I haven't checked everything yet as it is still updating.
I just loaded it earlier today and I know there will be some more updates, before I start loading what I want on W7.
I expect I'll go back to full W7 again, not sure, XP doesn't take much room but still needs to be booted into from time to time to keep it updated.

Thanks again,
Clay

cmpm:
Had to upgrade the sound drivers and software manually.
Originally this gateway 840GM used Intel audio with the missing sonic drivers warning.
Auto update will auto update the codec to 'IDT' on XP, but not a full install of the software and drivers for some reason.

No install at all for W7, but I found the full download for W7 and XP here.

http://download.cnet.com/IDT-High-Definition-Audio-CODEC/3000-2110_4-169457.html

For XP it works normally and places a tray icon in the tray.
Upgrading the use of all jacks on the computer.
With our without this upgrade you can here sound but the jack configuratio is not accessible.

For W7 it works normally, but there is a splash screen that stays up when restarted or rebooted with it's control panel. Disable IDT in msconfig so that the program interface doesn't pop up and stay there. No icon in the tray, but it can be accessed via control panel in windows 7 with access to front and rear jack settings and more.
Otherwise, there is no sound at all for W7 for this particular computer without this IDT codec update.

Carol Haynes:
Well done - glad you got it working.

To insert image use the drop down on the left (Link Inline Image ...) so the article I edited became this:

--- ---Thanks for the replies and help.
I have considered updating the bios.
I've done it once on anther machine successfully.

Here's what I'm looking at from gateway support.
Which doesn't seem updated enough.

This is after input of my computer serial number,
and scanning current configuration, with available downloads.
So these are for this Computer.

[attachthumb=1][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=2][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=3][/attachthumb]

The 1,2,3 refer to the order in which the images were attached to the message.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version