topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 11:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free version of O&O Defrag  (Read 3525 times)

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free version of O&O Defrag
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:20 AM »
Today O&O Software released a free version of its defragger via Download.com. It is also available from O&O Software.

From the press release:

Functions at a glance
Users of O&O Defrag Free Edition can schedule the time for regular defragmentation. For users working on mobile systems such as Notebooks and Netbooks, the defragmentation is interrupted when the machines are no longer connected to the mains, in order to conserve battery life. The drives are divided into speed zones, which not only reduce program and system start-up times but also prevent fragmentation of program files from the very start.
O&O Defrag Professional Edition.

The commercially available Premium variation for $49.95 (Update $29.95) has a much more advanced range of functions. Users of the full version can choose from a total of eight defragmentation methods, can configure the zone settings individually, as well as various other settings, and can create as many time-schedules for automatic defragmentation as they wish. The optimization of Solid State Drives (SSDs) for any brand of SSD is also only available in the full version.

I realize there are a bunch of defraggers out there; I just wanted to bring this to everybody's attention.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:22 AM by longrun »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free version of O&O Defrag
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 02:49 PM »
I realize there are a bunch of defraggers out there

I hadn't finished reading your post before I started wondering which is currently the "best" one.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free version of O&O Defrag
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Hi,

I just tried it quickly.  I removed it quite instantly :
- Ugly interface : on my system, the squares that represent groups of clusters are surrounded by a "way to wide" black outline, which has an absolute thickness, so when squares are reduced, the black is everywhere.  I guess it depends on your local windows settings though
- After a complete optimization, zone mode was activated, I used my PC to make just a few changes, then restarted a complete optimization, it took almost as much time as the first optim.  So re-defragmentation doesn't take into account it was already optimized. 

For this, I much prefer Puran 7.1 Free or even IOBit SmartDefrag 1.5 (not V2, still beta & buggy).
.merle1.