topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Video conversion: What's the best (freeware or shareware)?  (Read 59864 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Video conversion: What's the best (freeware or shareware)?
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 01:23 AM »
I'm pretty happy with my Philips dvp 5990.  For the price I can't complain.  The main things on my wishlist are:

Have you checked for alternative firmwares at DivXpert Firmwares ?

To me flashing firmware requires a major reason to take the risk.  I've experienced "instant paper weight" once. I don't want to go there again.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 07:37 AM »
Check your connection, sniff some packets when using Mediacoder.  His custom Firefox session loaded adverts a while back and he was almost removed from Sourceforge.  I have no idea why he would use a Firefox server setup to encode media.  Look in the Mediacoder directory and open the files with an editor, and monitor outgoing connections when you use it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Spyware issues aside, isn't it a transcoder anyway?  So not what you'd use for quality conversions(or maybe I'm reading something into the description that isn't there?)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 10:06 AM »
To me flashing firmware requires a major reason to take the risk.  I've experienced "instant paper weight" once. I don't want to go there again.

And my experience has shown me that you don't want to flash a Philips DVD player no matter what. In my model's case, later firmware updates removed features that never returned & with Philips DVD players you can almost never downgrade the firmware as the original stock firmware is never uploaded to their site.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 02:41 PM »
Yeah, on my list of "why aren't these features standard?" near the top would be, why can't you perform a firmware save?  Even better, the original should be in ROM or something so you could hold down some controls on power up and it would prompt you to restore the original firmware from ROM.  At least then as long as the thing had working hardware you could get back to square one.

But that might cost like $.03 per unit.  :(

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 04:29 PM »
This is free and works, although I use Pazera a lot.

http://www.oxelon.co...media_converter.html

cmpm, thanks for mentioning this nice one I hadn't heard about. Oxelon Media Converter conveniently works via context menu, and it can use four threads to take advantage of quad-core multi-processor systems. :Thmbsup:

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2009, 01:37 AM »
video conversion/modification always makes me feel lost - sooo many choices of codecs etc!

I have several times wanted to share a video taken with my camera but wanted to remove the sound track - have given up, lots of time wasted trying to find one tool that could remove the sound and would not end up with a file 10 times bigger than the original...

For example with virtualdub i did countless attempts with different settings to a)not lose too much quality and b)remove the sound. Results were... mixed

gave up

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2009, 01:56 AM »
You can easily user Super or MediaCoder and just uncheck the audio track for encoding. Encode to MOV with h.264 codec, commonly available, efficient and high quality. Or an MPEG4 codec variant.

- Oshyan

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2009, 09:36 AM »
I almost never convert video files, which is why I haven't said anything on this thread until now, but I convert several audio files each day. For this, Media Coder is by far the fastest and the best - "best", referring to both sound quality and working stability.

Only the home version is freeware, the Premium version is $300 $299, but they can do the same!! The only differences are:

If you are a cooperative user who needs serious use of the software for your business, we encourge you to purchase MediaCoder Premium. Comparing to the free version, it has following differences and features:

* Un-interrupted large volume batch transcoding
    * No pop-up web pages
    * Higher priority response for bugfix
    * Custom splash screen
    * Technical assistance and support

One reason I am telling this is, that Media Coder also comes in a $300 $299 HD Video edition:

MediaCoder HDV (Hi-Definition Video) Edition

High-definition (HD) video refers to video system of higher resolution than standard-definition (SD) video, most commonly at display resolutions of 1280×720 (720p) or 1920×1080 (1080i or 1080p). High-definition image sources include terrestrial broadcast, direct broadcast satellite, digital cable, high definition disc (BD), internet downloads and the latest generation of video game consoles. MediaCoder HDV Edition is specially customized and configured for encoding hi-hefinition video contents to several industrial standard video formats like H.264, MPEG-2, MPEG-4.

Key Features:

* Transcoding hi-definition video contents in most popular formats to H.264, MPEG-4 or MPEG-2 in TS and MOV container (can support more if customer requests)
    * 5.1-channel AAC and AC-3 audio encoding, supporting mixing 5.1-channel audio by individual waveform/PCM files
    * Batch processing capability (customized process flow according to customer request)
    * Real multi-threading design, optimized for multi-core processors (over 90% CPU utilization on quad-core)
    * Easy-to-use user interface
    * More suitable for enterprise/massive production use (no popup web pages, no Firefox dependency for advanced settings access)

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/
http://www.mediacode...m/solutions/hdv.html
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:48 AM by Curt »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2009, 07:59 PM »
WARNING!!! Virus/Trojan/Adware alert with FormatFactory!     :down: :down: :down:

I just installed FormatFactory v2.20 (install file name FFSetup220.zip).
As the proggy was installing, my MS Security Essentials caught and quarantined a Trojan Notifier:
                   TrojanClicker:Win32/Yabector.B

It was in file:C:\Temp\nsw95.tmp\eBay.exe
Interestingly, this indicates that MSSE had not detected the Trojan in the install file - even though it had inspected it on download - but only after the install file had been expanded into C:\Temp

Then ZoneAlarm reported that askchecker.exe was requesting access to the Internet. I blocked it.
ZoneAlarm then reported other ask-related proggies requesting access, and I blocked them too.

Process Explorer showed that Ask-related processes were running and had been loaded from C:\temp.

When I checked C:\Temp, I saw all sorts of Ask-related excrement - folders and files, including a file called ASKSUTBLOG (no file extension) size 451.7Kb. The latter was the install log of Ask Toolbar.msi.
The log file shows that ASK had installed and propogated itself all over the place - including C:\Program Files and my Firefox and Chrome browsers (as toolbars).

From the above, it is clear that the Trojan and the Ask Toolbar.msi must have been bundled in the FormatFactory install file.
The Trojan is bad enough, but the ASK.com deliberately forced and silent install really annoys me. The fact that the FormatFactory developers have deliberately buried these parasites in their program's install file - without warning or option for the user - annoys me even more. I now already dislike the FormatFactory product without even having tried it, and could not recommend it without major caveats.
                     :onfire:

I used RevoUninstaller to expunge ASK.com from my laptop. This is the 2nd or third time this year that I have had to remove ASK.com from my and other peoples' PCs. It takes time to do that, and it's a waste of my time. More annoyance.

Question: Does anyone know how it might be possible to block the Trojan and the ASK.com adware before it gets through the gates?    :feedback:
Update:
  • The file FFSetup220.zip file size exceeded the limit for uploading to Virus Total (so it could not be checked).
  • After clearing ASK.com out, I tried Format Factory out once only and can state that it seems to work OK, but it does not appear to have any better/different compression than IWiSoft video converter - which appears to be trouble free, unlike Format Factory.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 09:18 PM by IainB »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 10:26 PM »
@iphigenie it sounds like you need a demuxer.  Maybe something in this list would work:

http://www.videohelp...rby=Name&hits=50

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 10:29 PM by MilesAhead »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2009, 10:41 PM »
My favourite converter for MPEG4 ASP/AVC output is StaxRip.

The latest version has quite a number of preset profiles but it's easy to create and add your own.  The first time your fire it up it has help prompts for each step/action.

gs.jpgVideo conversion: What's the best (freeware or shareware)?

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 12:55 PM »
@IainB:
Did you unintentionally leave the ebay junk/add-on enabled when you installed FormatFactory 2.20? Or are you saying you disabled that checkbox and still got infected with all that bundled junk. AFAIK if you steer clear of the ebay related junk at installation, you will have a clean install without any of the issues you have described. Problem is--they're kinda sneaky about it and put the ebay stuff at the end of the install where lots of people are just click, click, clicking away. It's truly a miracle that I haven't done that myself.

I don't have the latest FormatFactory 2.20, but I do have v2.10 installed. Based on your experience, I re-installed this version in Returnil (older version btw) so as not to infect my "real" system. I intentionally left the ebay stuff enabled when installing to see what holiday gift I would get. ;D What I got was a Chinese toolbar named the Baidu Toolbar embedded in IE, along with files in Program Files\Baidu\Toolbar and registry entries in at least three locations-- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Baidu\BaiduToolbar, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Baidu\BaiduToolbar\NoAD, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Baidu\BaiduToolbar.

The v2.10 setup file was from the official site btw. Not cool, formatoz(FormatFactory)--not cool at all.

EDIT: just saw this link related to details on the Baidu Toobar.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:20 PM by sajman99 »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 07:29 AM »
@sajman99:
I was annoyed by the Trojan and the ASK.com bar. I am also annoyed that I let my guard down long enough to get suckered by this pernicious con.
As far as I am aware, both the Trojan and the ASK.com bar got past me without my positively accepting them, and that is why I wrote:
The Trojan is bad enough, but the ASK.com deliberately forced and silent install really annoys me.

(I guess that's why they call them "Trojan" - it's a deliberate trick to slip an enemy's army past the unsuspecting guards, as per the mythical story of the Trojans' wooden horse.)

I still have the install file (name FFSetup220.zip), and yes, it was from the official virus site - erm, sorry, I meant "official software site" - for Format Factory - i.e., http://pcfreetime.com/

I could always be mistaken, of course, but I have no desire to repeat the install just to find out whether I was mistaken and thereby run the risk that I might have to clean up the mess all over again. If you'd like me to send the file to you, then you would be welcome to install it yourself and see. As they say, "Nullius in verbo".

Such a test would be academic in any event. There are two principles in play here - honesty and integrity. Both principles have been broken - if they have ever been upheld - by the Format Factory site webmasters and by ASK.com.
A WHOIS of pcfreetime.com gives the following information:
Registrant:
    junhao
    Road QiuJiang 1488nong No.11  Room1304
    ShangHai, -- 200070
    CN

Domain name: PCFREETIME.COM
    Administrative Contact: junhao, chen

A WHOIS of ask.com gives the following information:
Registrant:
        DNS Manager
        Ask.com
        555 12th Street Suite 500
         Oakland CA 94607
        US
         +1.5109857400 Fax: +1.5109857507

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2009, 12:03 PM »
Actually there is nothing strange going on IainB. Not if you are aware opt-out has defeated opt-in as favoirte installation trick, as if there ever was any doubt. What you clicked past during installation look like this:

2009-12-20_040545.pngVideo conversion: What's the best (freeware or shareware)?

Only 5 tickboxes 8) Ask will still try to send a beep home regardless of choices but computer will not be "infected".

If they are guilty of something it is to make sure chances of you avoiding ask, ebay are best possible. Window pop up at end of installation, where you are in click,click mode already. ClamWin also uses Ask toolbar but at least made an effort in making it clear what was being offered. As preparation for protests. Ask demand toolbar must be pre-selected or there is no deal. FormatFactory could not care less, just stuffed tickboxes in one little window, or are deliberately trying to fool you.

Besides that program is great  :D

As you can see from this list "Installers Hall of Shame" you did not stumble over anything special. Those people don't even accept opt-in as an excuse, Avast is also listed. In other words they are special people on a crusade but list show bundle-mania is common.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:09 PM by Bamse »

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 12:25 PM »
Here is another trick. Links to 3rd party crap inside of programs menu. Anvir Taskmanager Tools menu

2009-12-21_192007.pngVideo conversion: What's the best (freeware or shareware)?

Registry scan, Performance scan, Drivers update send you off to UniBlue website. There is more to Anvir than this but shows you are not necessarily "safe" by trusting ability to handle tickboxes. Matter of definition what is a threat/adware/malware of course.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 12:58 PM »
Bamse, thanks for the info on this installation trickery. Every time I turn around there's more good freeware sinking to this level. I'm not naive and I understand why this stuff is done ($$), but still it bothers me. Increasingly, freeware has its hidden costs.

IainB, I hope you didn't interpret my blabbering as indicating you did something wrong. Clearly, you are the innocent party here and I also would be extremely aggravated if I got any of this crapware on my computer. I agree with you 100% that the relevant issues are integrity and honesty-- so I cannot and will not be recommending FormatFactory any longer. Your posting here will likely save many folks from suffering the same misfortune.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 01:40 PM »
Well you can fight back by warning and avoid recommending but you could also fight the battle of making 3rd party injections better or more in sync with the "average" user. I have seen another way from Fotomix Now Adware/Freeware because crackers won or something 8) They put "Ads by Google" inside of program, like a sidebar. Not too intrusive and I think more honest. Ads are located inside program, not in browser or desktop/startmenu. That alone is a big difference. Uninstall program and all traces are gone. All about $$$ anyway and we all know Google so nothing new majority has not accepted already. As so many Site Admins appears to do they can always say "Sue Google" if you click and get redirected to something dubious.

Fun program for those with no graphics skills btw.

2009-12-21_202411.pngVideo conversion: What's the best (freeware or shareware)?

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 01:50 PM »
I'm still curious how much money authors get from this. Is it really worth it?

- Oshyan

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2009, 01:06 AM »
@Bamse:
Actually there is nothing strange going on IainB.

That depends on your definition of "strange". From my perspective, it is just shonky - classic sharp practice. It's a form of spamming-by-freeware. Where you see this sort of practice, all parties involved are tarred with the same brush. If you accept it, then you condone it by default, which merely encourages the practice. What's needed is to discourage the practice. I do that by voting with my feet and avoiding anything further to do with the software that bundles the eBay Trojan, or the ASK.com bar, or any other crapware - and I recommend that all software users do the same. Eventually the message should get through.

@sajman99:
...indicating you did something wrong
No, I did not interpret it that way at all. I realised that I had let my guard down long enough to get suckered by this pernicious con.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2009, 04:22 AM »
Well your message will not get through as long as enough users are not aware of this. So solution is to increase awareness. Research, which is more than clicking away at careless download sites. Treat downloads/installation like ads, be sceptical and watch out for surprises.

You are already using software from companies using same tactic  8) Say goodbye to your firewall...

ZoneAlarm - SpyBlocker (Ask Toolbar) (This toolbar is detected as spyware/adware by several vendors)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2009, 07:50 AM »
@Bamse: Yes, you are quite right, of course. I am always in a hurry to install and try something out, so I am likely to "let my guard down long enough to get suckered" by these pernicious cons.

That's a good point about ZoneAlarm too. Why use ZoneAlarm instead of the Windows Firewall now anyway?
I've recently dumped Avast! in favour of MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and it works just fine.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2009, 12:09 PM »
I was more hinting your cause is hopeless than you should uninstall anything  8) Just more of the same though obviously one of the more sneaky ones. I doubt Zonealarm offer Ask toolbar that way. Might even let you read privacy policy in a clear designed window. They know they will be hunted more forcefully if they really did install 3rd party software behind your back, not even FormatFactory does that. But they can increase chances of you messing up. Also if you try to find out who is making FormatFactory what do you come up with? They say your privacy is important to them but where is a real policy? And of course program comes from China. Almost anything but program itself is dubious. Since I seem to think they are out to screw people should I uninstall? I can do that or be extra careful since I expect the worst from pcfreetime. More annoyance and sign of the time$ than a threat to me I guess.

I did the same ooops with Sumo http://www.kcsoftwar...s.com/index.php?sumo when they started to bundle Relevant Knownledge. Just passed by me because I had done so many of those installation/updates. They got complaints and now offer RK free download - if you know where to look. Like CCleaner has a slim/lite version with no Yahoo bundle. Does not count for much I think. Majority do not have a clue and they get their stuff from Softpedia, Download.com, Brothersoft or where ever. Typically that means only fat version is available. RK a lot "worse" than a stupid toolbar last I checked. Notice how author try to excuse himself by refering to RK-free version http://kcsoftwares.c...viewtopic.php?id=244 You bundle or you don't. Here is more about RK http://www.ghacks.ne...-relevant-knowledge/ Google for more.

Well Zonealarm notified you of Ask install checker so that is something. If on Vista or better you could try Windows 7 Firewall Control http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/ - about all freeware version does is to pop up when whatever is trying to send out. Is more of a GUI to build-in firewall - which is full featured but can be annoying to use. I read you can use Firewall control to set up rules for all your installed programs - then uninstall it and Windows firewall will take over those rules. Only have this bookmarked about Windows Firewall http://www.wildersse...wthread.php?t=239750 but search for more at that place if interested in avoiding 3rd party firewall. I am sure there is a guide on how-to, I considered doing it at some point. Possible mentioned in that thread, look for a guy called "Kees1958". Think he could be inventor of this trick. Many paranoid people there are perfectly happy with build-in firewall so not necessarily a step back unless you do some real high-risk computing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 12:13 PM by Bamse »

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Indeed, the list of freeware that "offers" toolbars and other crapware grows daily. I personally use or have used FormatFactory, Glary Utilities, Defraggler, CPU-Z, AppRemover, CCleaner, Recuva... Enough already, you get the idea--all this quality freeware is now "adware". In a time of global economic uncertainty, I guess it's not too difficult to understand that some developers will take easy money wherever they can get it--apparently even at the expense of their reputation.

btw Bamse, you're apparently correct opt-out has surpassed opt-in as the the default installation mode. When the heck did this happen?--I guess I was sleeping. ;D An opt-out default is clearly an insidious tactic--all I have to do is get distracted for a split second (phone, kids, TV, whatever) and then I have a mess to deal with.

On the main topic of video converters, I had earlier mentioned in this thread the tough choice between FormatFactory and Pazera Video Converters Suite. Well, I have to say the choice seems much clearer now. Also, the iWisoft Free Video Converter mentioned in this thread seems good, but it's a brand new tool without much feedback so far.

EDIT: btw I didn't mean all versions of the freeware mentioned are adware; as noted by Bamse there are sometimes adware-free versions of the software available (usually the portable build from what I've seen).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:42 PM by sajman99 »

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2009, 03:53 PM »
all I have to do is get distracted for a split second (phone, kids, TV, whatever) and then I have a mess to deal with.
This is why I always monitor any installation with Total Uninstall. Ashampoo Uninstaller is also good for this.