ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

Video conversion: What's the best (freeware or shareware)?

<< < (10/11) > >>

Bamse:
Well your message will not get through as long as enough users are not aware of this. So solution is to increase awareness. Research, which is more than clicking away at careless download sites. Treat downloads/installation like ads, be sceptical and watch out for surprises.

You are already using software from companies using same tactic  8) Say goodbye to your firewall...

ZoneAlarm - SpyBlocker (Ask Toolbar) (This toolbar is detected as spyware/adware by several vendors)
--- End quote ---

IainB:
@Bamse: Yes, you are quite right, of course. I am always in a hurry to install and try something out, so I am likely to "let my guard down long enough to get suckered" by these pernicious cons.

That's a good point about ZoneAlarm too. Why use ZoneAlarm instead of the Windows Firewall now anyway?
I've recently dumped Avast! in favour of MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and it works just fine.

Bamse:
I was more hinting your cause is hopeless than you should uninstall anything  8) Just more of the same though obviously one of the more sneaky ones. I doubt Zonealarm offer Ask toolbar that way. Might even let you read privacy policy in a clear designed window. They know they will be hunted more forcefully if they really did install 3rd party software behind your back, not even FormatFactory does that. But they can increase chances of you messing up. Also if you try to find out who is making FormatFactory what do you come up with? They say your privacy is important to them but where is a real policy? And of course program comes from China. Almost anything but program itself is dubious. Since I seem to think they are out to screw people should I uninstall? I can do that or be extra careful since I expect the worst from pcfreetime. More annoyance and sign of the time$ than a threat to me I guess.

I did the same ooops with Sumo http://www.kcsoftwares.com/index.php?sumo when they started to bundle Relevant Knownledge. Just passed by me because I had done so many of those installation/updates. They got complaints and now offer RK free download - if you know where to look. Like CCleaner has a slim/lite version with no Yahoo bundle. Does not count for much I think. Majority do not have a clue and they get their stuff from Softpedia, Download.com, Brothersoft or where ever. Typically that means only fat version is available. RK a lot "worse" than a stupid toolbar last I checked. Notice how author try to excuse himself by refering to RK-free version http://kcsoftwares.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=244 You bundle or you don't. Here is more about RK http://www.ghacks.net/2009/05/18/about-relevant-knowledge/ Google for more.

Well Zonealarm notified you of Ask install checker so that is something. If on Vista or better you could try Windows 7 Firewall Control http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/ - about all freeware version does is to pop up when whatever is trying to send out. Is more of a GUI to build-in firewall - which is full featured but can be annoying to use. I read you can use Firewall control to set up rules for all your installed programs - then uninstall it and Windows firewall will take over those rules. Only have this bookmarked about Windows Firewall http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=239750 but search for more at that place if interested in avoiding 3rd party firewall. I am sure there is a guide on how-to, I considered doing it at some point. Possible mentioned in that thread, look for a guy called "Kees1958". Think he could be inventor of this trick. Many paranoid people there are perfectly happy with build-in firewall so not necessarily a step back unless you do some real high-risk computing.

sajman99:
Indeed, the list of freeware that "offers" toolbars and other crapware grows daily. I personally use or have used FormatFactory, Glary Utilities, Defraggler, CPU-Z, AppRemover, CCleaner, Recuva... Enough already, you get the idea--all this quality freeware is now "adware". In a time of global economic uncertainty, I guess it's not too difficult to understand that some developers will take easy money wherever they can get it--apparently even at the expense of their reputation.

btw Bamse, you're apparently correct opt-out has surpassed opt-in as the the default installation mode. When the heck did this happen?--I guess I was sleeping. ;D An opt-out default is clearly an insidious tactic--all I have to do is get distracted for a split second (phone, kids, TV, whatever) and then I have a mess to deal with.

On the main topic of video converters, I had earlier mentioned in this thread the tough choice between FormatFactory and Pazera Video Converters Suite. Well, I have to say the choice seems much clearer now. Also, the iWisoft Free Video Converter mentioned in this thread seems good, but it's a brand new tool without much feedback so far.

EDIT: btw I didn't mean all versions of the freeware mentioned are adware; as noted by Bamse there are sometimes adware-free versions of the software available (usually the portable build from what I've seen).

edbro:
all I have to do is get distracted for a split second (phone, kids, TV, whatever) and then I have a mess to deal with.
-sajman99 (December 22, 2009, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is why I always monitor any installation with Total Uninstall. Ashampoo Uninstaller is also good for this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version