topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Show us the View Outside Your Window  (Read 550523 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Show us the View Outside Your Window
« Reply #375 on: February 13, 2017, 01:06 PM »
... They look very different, don't they?
Um, yeah. At a guess, that's presumably because they are panoramas of the same range of hills, but showing different parts of that range in each shot - right? At first I thought they were back-to-front. It's a huge range. What's it's name?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #376 on: February 13, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Um, yeah. At a guess, that's presumably because they are panoramas of the same range of hills, but showing different parts of that range in each shot - right? At first I thought they were back-to-front. It's a huge range. What's it's name?

No, they are different because they were taken in different years, different sun positions, with different cameras. I don't know what it is named.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #377 on: February 13, 2017, 05:46 PM »

If you look closely you can see the peaks in the center of the second image are on the left of the first image.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #378 on: February 13, 2017, 07:08 PM »
If you look closely you can see the peaks in the center of the second image are on the left of the first image.

No, they are different because they were taken in different years, different sun positions, with different cameras. I don't know what it is named.
- which was also obvious (to me, having made a habit of photographing mountains in different seasons in the Swiss Alps and North Wales), and his answer confirmed what I had wondered about - i.e., whether he might have been getting at that - but I was not sure (from what he wrote) whether that was the difference he was referring to. He asked a kinda ambiguous question, but I figured he'd tell me if I asked, and he did.

I think you have a seriously beautiful view out your window there, @Arizona Hot, but I couldn't put up with just looking at that view. I'd feel compelled to go over to that range and start tramping, but I'd not do it solo. Could you name a geographical location (town/district?) near to that range? I presume it's somewhere in Arizona - possibly the Mogollan Rim - that is to your East, but my geographical knowledge of that area is deficient. I'd like to visit it on Google Earth anyway.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Show us the View Outside Your Window - Safford and its Eastern hills.
« Reply #379 on: February 14, 2017, 05:14 AM »
@Arizona Hot: OK, you had earlier mentioned Mt Graham in this discussion thread, and the district to the West of those hills is Safford. That range of hills East of Safford runs roughly North to SSE and roughly parallel to a smaller range of hills to the West of Safford.

I might have some of this wrong, but the named peaks in the Eastern hills (which range doesn't seem to have a name?) would seem to include, running from North to South along the visible range:
  • Graham (QED)
  • Bryce Mountain
  • Turtle Mountain
  • Guthrie Peak

I stress the word visible, because I am guessing that they are the higher mountains and the peaks would be visible even though the base might be a bit over the horizon, as it were, when viewed from the Safford area.
Something like an Ordnance Survey Map would be useful(!) as it would show gradients and heights and magnetic north, and one could then take compass bearings on each peak from some single defined point in the Safford area, and that would pretty much confirm which peak was which in the Eastern range. (Those would be my tramping objectives!)

When one looks at a place like this, it reminds one how stunningly vast and beautiful a country the US is. I once drove across the semi-arid desert from LA to Sequoia National Park, and for me the most memorable things about that included:
  • the remoteness and the hugeness of natural physical beauty of the park and the desert that was crossed to get there;
  • the redwoods and the smell of the forest;
  • the beauty of the sunsets and sunrises;
  • the invariably welcoming American hospitality one encountered along the way;
  • the delicious aroma and taste of freshly brewed American coffee in the mornings, at the motel I stayed at in the valley.

Could I suggest that you post those beautiful photos you have posted to this thread (via Google Drive), to Google Photos instead (if not already done), together with as much GPS metadata as you can muster?

Your new Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V already has "GPS and Compass record shot location & direction", so the newer pix from that camera will have the metadata anyway and will have better self-validation and save you time in making the saves to Google Photos.

You can then insert/link these pix in/to the relevant locations (where the picture was taken) in Google Earth. Google had been using Panoramio for this, but it seemed a tedious and constipated process to put up some pix, so many/most people didn't seem to use it after a couple of tries (myself included), so Google are now deprecating Panoramio and replacing it with (standardising on) Google Photos. This seems like a forward step.

If you make them public, then anyone browsing that area with Google Earth will be able to see those lovely pix. There seems to be a dearth of pix for that area at present, in Google Earth, which seems a shame - it is so beautiful, as we can see from your photos.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #380 on: February 14, 2017, 10:41 AM »
@Arizona Hot: After a bit more study, I can see that I may have been confused by the mountain names. The peaks I named on the Eastern hills seem to be correct, but I see that "Graham" is simply that, as there is a Mt Graham (where the observatory is) in the Western hills, which i realise now is probably what you took a picture of.
The peaks in the Western hills (going North --> South) are:
  • Pinal Peak
  • Mt Turnbull
  • Pinnacle Ridge
  • Mt Graham (+Observatory)
From your vantage point perched on the edge of what looks like a raised plateau, you may be able to see more peaks in both Eastern and Western views, I don't know, but your location seems to be very fortunate for its view/outlook - better probably than the airport, which looks as though it is on the same plateau some distance away.

Whereas there are quite a few pictures taken around the area that have been posted to Google Earth, most of those I have briefly looked at seem to be photos of objects and places nearby to the photographer's position or within sight - e.g., mountain trail shots with some valley in the background, or buildings, or the odd cloud/sky shot.

Your vantage point seems pretty special/unique. It may be closer to Mt Graham than it is to Graham and being raised up with a SE outlook you are able to see and capture beautiful panoramas like that great mist in the valley shot and others of the changing light on the sky and mountain ranges on all sides, that photographers in most other locations - being in the valley - simply would not have the opportunity or be able to see/capture. You probably also get to see more peaks as your horizon will be extended by virtue of being in an elevated position.
"Location, location, location" as the real estate agents say.

There is the old philosophical question, "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?", which experiments by raising questions regarding observation and knowledge/reality. For something to be observed, there needs to be an observer, and the observation becomes knowledge of reality. There is some knowledge that can only be gained by direct experience, bypassing the need for any belief, but which can only be documented or verbally passed on to others as a secondhand offering, which others may choose to believe or not - e.g., the conversion of Paul on the road to Damascus.

Similarly, if a beautiful transient panorama of light unfolds in nature, and no-one is around to witness it, does it actually happen?
Well it looks as though you may be in a position to be one of the few who might regularly be able to observe and record such events in your district. Sure, a photo could probably never really do justice to the direct-in-the-eyeballs experience of the thing, but, like many photographers, you may just occasionally capture something quite stunning that does it, and then it will have been all worthwhile.

You could do worse than (say) build a portfolio and flog it or donate it to your local newspaper or library, so that the local community and a wider audience can appreciate something beautiful which they had previously been unaware of in the nature of their environment. So share it more widely, maybe Flickr, or Facebook, or something.
Don't limit it to just the lucky few DCF members who might bother to peruse this discussion thread!    :Thmbsup:

I still want to go walking in those hills, and it's all your fault that I do. You and your ruddy photos.    :D

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #381 on: February 16, 2017, 02:17 PM »
@IainB I have tried using the GPS location function, but the camera says it is "not available". I call them the eastern mountains because that distinguishes them from the mountains in the other directions from here. I have a limited selection of potential views because I don't have a car, so I just post them here. I don't think I have enough outstanding pictures to post them in other venues. I certainly have not gotten any feedback about the pictures I have posted links to on Google Drive to know if there is enough interest in them to warrant disseminating them more widely. I said they look different because they were taken with different cameras with different capabilities(and probably because of other factors).

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:41 PM by Arizona Hot »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #382 on: February 17, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Just taking each of your points:
  • @AH: I have tried using the GPS location function, but the camera says it is "not available".
    @$IB: I downloaded a copy of the DSC-HX20-HX20V-HX30-HX30V - Cyber-shot User Guide
    If this function is definitely switched on in the camera and is working correctly, then you presumably have no decent GPS satellite signal available in that location - or so the user guide indicates (p129), where it also says that this Position Information function is only provided on the DSC-HX20V/HX30V models.

• @AH:I call them the eastern mountains because that distinguishes them from the mountains in the other directions from here.
    @$IB: Yes, I appreciated that. One needs some kind of a handle on them. On Google Earth, none of those two visible ranges of hills seem to have a collective name.

• @AH: I have a limited selection of potential views because I don't have a car, so I just post them here.
    @$IB: OIC. I wondered whether that might be the case. In any event, your static vantage point looks as though it may be one of the best that one could probably find in that area, for observing the changing nature of those hills. Rather than manually taking pix, you might consider automating things, with a webcam of some sort (with sufficient scope and magnification) focused on the hills all the time.

• @AH: I don't think I have enough outstanding pictures to post them in other venues. I certainly have not gotten any feedback about the pictures I have posted links to on Google Drive to know if there is enough interest in them to warrant disseminating them more widely.
    @$IB: I suspect that a counter "No. of times viewed" could probably be the best guide - e.g., many people will not press a "Like" button or make a comment, or something, because of privacy concerns - it leaves some kind of tracking trail.

• @AH: I said they look different because they were taken with different cameras with different capabilities(and probably because of other factors).
    @$IB: Yes, I appreciated that that was probably the case from the outset - the differences were quite noticeable.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #383 on: February 19, 2017, 06:25 PM »
@AH: I don't think I have enough outstanding pictures to post them in other venues. I certainly have not gotten any feedback about the pictures I have posted links to on Google Drive to know if there is enough interest in them to warrant disseminating them more widely.
@$IB: I suspect that a counter "No. of times viewed" could probably be the best guide - e.g., many people will not press a "Like" button or make a comment, or something, because of privacy concerns - it leaves some kind of tracking trail.

I left out one word in the post. It should have been "any feedback here about"

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #384 on: February 19, 2017, 07:31 PM »
This is the cloud-shadowed mountains I posted in my picture taken 02-19-17 (Post #325).

Clipboard01.jpgShow us the View Outside Your Window

This is the picture I took today with the new camera.

02-19-17  Shadowed  north mountains 2.jpgShow us the View Outside Your Window

Much more shadowy. I believe they are the same mountains. The silhouette looks the same and these are the same mountains as the Layered mountains panorama. Look at the title of the enlarged picture to know in which direction they are.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:40 PM by Arizona Hot »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #385 on: February 20, 2017, 11:34 AM »
I left out one word in the post. It should have been "any feedback here about"
I thought some of your pictures were stunningly beautiful anyway - but then, I'd always prefer to have a mountainous outlook, having been raised amongst the hills of North Wales - which, I hasten to add, are probably best described as "hills", rather than the proper "mountains" like the ones you have in sight.    :D
When I later spent some time in the Alps, I had some real, often snow-blanketed mountains to look out at. Walked up and over a few of them too.
I've usually lived on or near the hills/mountains that I could see. Living on those huge arid Arizona planes where you are might be a bit of a challenge for me though.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:46 PM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #386 on: February 20, 2017, 11:40 AM »
Much more shadowy. I believe they are the same mountains.
Yes, they look about the same. One is zoom and through haze, whereas the other is in panorama and seems a clearer day.
The vantage point where they were taken from might be a bit different though.(?)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #387 on: February 20, 2017, 12:30 PM »
By the way ... the position co-ordinates data is probably:

@IainB,
[I believe] @ArizonaHot has not offered to share exact location, would it not be fair to ask before posting estimated location?
Tom
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:38 PM by tomos »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #388 on: February 20, 2017, 12:45 PM »
@tomos: Oops. I meant to send that in PM. Was distracted. Too many interruptions at my end and wasn't thinking. Thanks.
(That might be what's called "Doing a Hillary Clinton", ha-ha.)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #389 on: February 20, 2017, 01:27 PM »
 :)
Tom

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #390 on: February 21, 2017, 08:24 PM »
Actually I was leaving the trailer to do something else, when I saw that view, took the pictures, made the panorama and then went to do what I originally intended to do. Distractions...distractions...distractions.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #391 on: February 25, 2017, 09:56 PM »
02-25-17 Black clouds at sunset 3.jpgShow us the View Outside Your Window

The vertical thing at the far right was in the sky and is not a camera artifact.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #392 on: February 26, 2017, 12:42 AM »
Looks like it could be vertically-rising smoke from an industrial chimney, or something. Would have to be wind-less over there to look like that though. How likely is that?     :tellme:

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #393 on: February 27, 2017, 10:05 AM »
Looks like it could be vertically-rising smoke from an industrial chimney, or something. Would have to be wind-less over there to look like that though. How likely is that?     

It's probably a jet vapor trail. The picture below and other sunsets can be found here:

Arizona sunsets.pdf

A collection of sunsets.pdf

Sunset pipes.jpgShow us the View Outside Your Window

Why didn't I attach them to the post? They're 38 and 25 MB in size.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:10 AM by Arizona Hot »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #394 on: February 27, 2017, 10:30 PM »
Did you post them to Google Photos/Google Earth?
If not, then you really should, I reckon - as I think I suggested earlier.
They are pretty impressive pix. Beautiful.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #395 on: March 05, 2017, 08:59 PM »
They are pretty impressive pix. Beautiful.

DSC00215.JPGShow us the View Outside Your Window

I didn't see the enlarged picture IainB will marvel at when I took it. All I saw was a very red sunset. Does this picture compare favorably with my post #372 sunset picture? I think I still need more experience with the camera to get the best out of it. It takes very good pictures, but I need to be better at making the best use of it.

Clipboard01.jpgShow us the View Outside Your Window

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:57 PM by Arizona Hot »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #396 on: March 05, 2017, 10:37 PM »
@Arizona Hot: Your pix are stunning. Music to my eyes.
As a child, I was fascinated by sunrises and sunsets. I would draw sheet after sheet of them, rising/setting behind imaginary hills, and the sun's rays catching the clouds. I was always trying to capture the reality, but could never quite get it, of course, and each is unique anyway. Nowadays, having learned my lesson and if I have the time, I just sit and watch the beauty of the scene evolve in front of me. Don't even touch the camera.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #397 on: March 10, 2017, 03:23 AM »
Something more for IainB and hopefully other people: 2 views of last night's sunset.

DSC00264.JPGShow us the View Outside Your Window    DSC00266.JPGShow us the View Outside Your Window

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #398 on: March 14, 2017, 09:21 PM »
DSC00268.JPGShow us the View Outside Your Window

This is what I was expecting #395 to be.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #399 on: March 15, 2017, 06:38 AM »
Those are nice too. Actually, I suspect that you can't fail to take a nice shot.
My 6 y/o son asked me about my interest in your sunrise/sunset pix, and now he's interested too.
"Come and look at the sunrise!" he said the other morning, so I went to see.
Of course, it was well after sunrise, but what he meant was the colours of the early morning sun.