ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Show us the View Outside Your Window

<< < (76/90) > >>

IainB:
... They look very different, don't they?
-Arizona Hot (February 13, 2017, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Um, yeah. At a guess, that's presumably because they are panoramas of the same range of hills, but showing different parts of that range in each shot - right? At first I thought they were back-to-front. It's a huge range. What's it's name?

Arizona Hot:
--- End quote ---
Um, yeah. At a guess, that's presumably because they are panoramas of the same range of hills, but showing different parts of that range in each shot - right? At first I thought they were back-to-front. It's a huge range. What's it's name?

-IainB (February 13, 2017, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, they are different because they were taken in different years, different sun positions, with different cameras. I don't know what it is named.

Deozaan:
--- End quote ---

-IainB (February 13, 2017, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you look closely you can see the peaks in the center of the second image are on the left of the first image.

IainB:
If you look closely you can see the peaks in the center of the second image are on the left of the first image.
-Deozaan (February 13, 2017, 05:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, thanks, that seemed obvious and one probably didn't really have to look too closely to see it, either.
I just wondered why @Arizona Hot wrote:

--- End quote ---
- when they actually didn't (to me), but he has answered that:

No, they are different because they were taken in different years, different sun positions, with different cameras. I don't know what it is named.

--- End quote ---
- which was also obvious (to me, having made a habit of photographing mountains in different seasons in the Swiss Alps and North Wales), and his answer confirmed what I had wondered about - i.e., whether he might have been getting at that - but I was not sure (from what he wrote) whether that was the difference he was referring to. He asked a kinda ambiguous question, but I figured he'd tell me if I asked, and he did.

I think you have a seriously beautiful view out your window there, @Arizona Hot, but I couldn't put up with just looking at that view. I'd feel compelled to go over to that range and start tramping, but I'd not do it solo. Could you name a geographical location (town/district?) near to that range? I presume it's somewhere in Arizona - possibly the Mogollan Rim - that is to your East, but my geographical knowledge of that area is deficient. I'd like to visit it on Google Earth anyway.

IainB:
@Arizona Hot: OK, you had earlier mentioned Mt Graham in this discussion thread, and the district to the West of those hills is Safford. That range of hills East of Safford runs roughly North to SSE and roughly parallel to a smaller range of hills to the West of Safford.

I might have some of this wrong, but the named peaks in the Eastern hills (which range doesn't seem to have a name?) would seem to include, running from North to South along the visible range:

* Graham (QED)
* Bryce Mountain
* Turtle Mountain
* Guthrie Peak
I stress the word visible, because I am guessing that they are the higher mountains and the peaks would be visible even though the base might be a bit over the horizon, as it were, when viewed from the Safford area.
Something like an Ordnance Survey Map would be useful(!) as it would show gradients and heights and magnetic north, and one could then take compass bearings on each peak from some single defined point in the Safford area, and that would pretty much confirm which peak was which in the Eastern range. (Those would be my tramping objectives!)

When one looks at a place like this, it reminds one how stunningly vast and beautiful a country the US is. I once drove across the semi-arid desert from LA to Sequoia National Park, and for me the most memorable things about that included:

* the remoteness and the hugeness of natural physical beauty of the park and the desert that was crossed to get there;
* the redwoods and the smell of the forest;
* the beauty of the sunsets and sunrises;
* the invariably welcoming American hospitality one encountered along the way;
* the delicious aroma and taste of freshly brewed American coffee in the mornings, at the motel I stayed at in the valley.
Could I suggest that you post those beautiful photos you have posted to this thread (via Google Drive), to Google Photos instead (if not already done), together with as much GPS metadata as you can muster?

Your new Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V already has "GPS and Compass record shot location & direction", so the newer pix from that camera will have the metadata anyway and will have better self-validation and save you time in making the saves to Google Photos.

You can then insert/link these pix in/to the relevant locations (where the picture was taken) in Google Earth. Google had been using Panoramio for this, but it seemed a tedious and constipated process to put up some pix, so many/most people didn't seem to use it after a couple of tries (myself included), so Google are now deprecating Panoramio and replacing it with (standardising on) Google Photos. This seems like a forward step.

If you make them public, then anyone browsing that area with Google Earth will be able to see those lovely pix. There seems to be a dearth of pix for that area at present, in Google Earth, which seems a shame - it is so beautiful, as we can see from your photos.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version