topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Display on-screen frames for various form sizes  (Read 5873 times)

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Display on-screen frames for various form sizes
« on: December 19, 2007, 02:10 PM »
I need a small utility that, once activated, displays a frame I can drag around on the screen to visually compare its size to other objects on-screen.  The idea is that while I'm developing forms for an app, I want to stay within a customer's known max screen resolution, e.g. 800x600, 1024x738, etc.

I have various rulers and other tools, but they only work in one x/y axis at a time and are cumbersome.

My forms are all dynamically resizable (they can be resized to be bigger/smaller) but by default I try to shoot for a form that's no bigger than their available screen real-estate.

So, I imagine a tiny thing that sits in the tray and responds to a double-click.  Once activated it shows a 3-pixel wide black frame with a transparent center preset to 1024x768 pixels.  I can click on the black part of the frame and drag it around, placing it over my forms for testing.  The frame itself is fixed in size and cannot be changed.  Double-clicking the tray icon again dismisses the frame.

Nice to have: Right-clicking the tray icon displays a context menu allowing selection of preset frame sizes... 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x1024.

Playing of MP3 files is not a requirement.

Any takers?  There's a few DonationCredits in it for you if so.

Thanks,
Ralf

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Display on-screen frames for various form sizes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 03:35 PM »
Ralf, have you tried Renegade's Floating Ruler?
Sure looks as if it'll do what you want.

Cheers

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Display on-screen frames for various form sizes
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 03:48 PM »
Bing!  That'll work. 

Thanks!