topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday June 4, 2024, 7:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Recent Posts

Pages: prev1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 29next
Circle Dock / Re: Requests / Suggestions thread
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 22, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Agreed....

This is why I was considering tracking down a replication software, not something that is OS dependent.

Either way: a solution for "Minimize to dock" should be considered carefully, as it is a common feature to most docks.

Thoughts???
Circle Dock / Re: Instant Crash on Startup
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 22, 2010, 12:33 AM »
Greetings Akul
Welcome to Donationcoder.com and Circle Dock's little corner

I am going to suggest you try running with Administrative Privileges and see if Circle Dock then works  :-\

Let us know
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 21, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Ok.. So I have found a number of solutions that simulate the Superbar in both 32 and 64 bit....
I even found a solution that is specific for Vista  :o

Still looking for an Open Source solution.
 :o I would hate to have to see something like this coded from scratch  :P

So I would venture to say that the request is plausible, but still exploring viability
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 21, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Greetings OLEGxUSSR
Welcome to Donationcoder.com and Circle Dock's little corner  :D

I see the example, and I also see some pros and cons  :huh:

The start of this would be the concept of "Minimize to Dock"
I agree that this is an excellent concept, and I have been holding my tongue, and have not suggested it to this point, as I also would like to have an options setting that would allow us to specify a folder that items can be minimized to, or as default, programs would be minimized to the default Circle Layer, but the ability to assign Minimized programs to a specifically created Folder would be a great option.

Getting related programs to stack is almost unique to Windows 7, and is also an Aero effect as I understand it.
I do not know if something like this can be accomplished.
Ultimately we would be looking at having Circle Dock emulate Windows 7 Superbar features in this respect.
Literally as a program opens, it would be shown in Circle Dock, primary layer, or optional folder, and then as several (say excels are opened) having a stacked representation of the numerous incidents of the program.
There are also issues of auto labeling, that windows handles for each running program, and a bunch of things that I can not even begin to understand the difficulty of.
This would have to tie into your third proposal.
having a visual representation of the stacked folders, such as the Windows 7 super-bar presents to us.

Getting a graphical pop out of current running windows processes from the stacked running programs .
OMG  :o !!!  I could probably list about a dozen issues I can see happening with this, most of which are re-draw problems, and graphical handling.
This is almost uniquely a Windows 7 option, and I am even unsure if there is any third party options that can replicate this (If there is, someone tell me).

Now this is not to say that it is not a do-able thing....The folks at MS figured it out, and some how I think there may be a third party tool, or two, that can simulate these features (if anyone knows of an open source third party application, or even closed source, please advise), but the level of programming these features is all but incomprehensible.

Ultimately  what is being asked for is a Circle Dock Superbar
I could only imagine the programming time and issues encompassed in such a request
I love the idea  :-* , but the viability  :tellme: ????

It would definitely place Circle Dock hand-over-fist above the other rest, and be unique to Circle Dock, as an option and alternative solution.
Circle Dock / Re: Version 1.54 released
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 21, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Wikidot updated  :Thmbsup:
Circle Dock / Germany Translation
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 21, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Received the following e-mail while away:

Helo Sarge.
I mail this to you, because my mail to Mark was rejected(?).

I recently found this cool application and testet it for some time.
It's really great. I'm using "Magic Formation" at this time which is
kind
of similar to Circle Dock (but with much less features).
So I thought: Why not contribute to the project by translating it into
german language.
When I switched to the translation that is currently integrated, I
nearly laughed for a while, because these automatic translations are
really funny for native speakers.

So here we go with a correct translation.

I hope this helps the project to spread a little wider.

Greetings from Offenburg, Germany

Attached Text file
Circle Dock / Re: Deleted folder afther uninstall
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 17, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Greetings Lotheilian
Welcome to DonationCoder.com and Circle Dock's forum

This is a "Serious Problem", you are one of the lucky few that create back ups, and for this issue I apologize for any loss.
I am so grateful that you have taken the time to bring this to our attention.
I was awake when the post first came in, and I have spent several hours attempting to replicate this issue. I have had no success.
This leads me to ask a few questions, so that hopefully I can at  least nail down the issue/cause.
I am a user of PortableApps and portable applications at large, so you have just sent a shiver down my spine  :(

Questions:
Please answer to the best of your remembrance  ;)
How were the links created?
Was The Portable Apps in the same folder as the Circle Dock core software folder?
If the Portable Apps files were in another location; Where?
Did you use the native uninstaller for Circle Dock? If not what did you use?

Of course I am using the latest full version, so there may have been something I missed in teh older version (typical), so let me know when you have the chance

I appreciate your time in this matter
Regards
Sarge

Circle Dock / Re: Video Tutorial suggestions being taken
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 16, 2010, 11:35 PM »
Sounds good I think I shall do that  :Thmbsup:
Circle Dock / Re: Minor Glitches
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 16, 2010, 10:40 PM »
You will generally only see this effect when adding a new Dock Item using the context menu's "Add File, Folder or Special Item". The program is, at that point, in a bit of a "chicken and egg" situation. It can't place the dock item without some form of valid image and the dock item isn't added - and the dock redrawn - until that dialog is dismissed. This form of behaviour has been in all versions of the program and is down to the way the Net Framework works.

I have not witnessed the behaviour you mention and no-one else has mentioned it either, so I'm not yet convinced that there's a problem with Circle Dock in that regard. It is conceivable that an image has got "stuck" some how and if that's the case, select the dock and do something that will cause it to reposition its items on screen - such as move it or rotate the items. That should clear the effect.

Mark

I have seen this issue out side of Creating a new icon instance.
Observe closely, you will see that there are 3 or four icons in that corner from several areas.

I have not seen this since v1, but normally toggling will correct.
When it happened to me it was usually during startup or starting CD

So it is not an isolated creation of a shortcut, but something else
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 16, 2010, 10:36 PM »
I got you:

Screenshot - 2_16_2010 , 9_33_36 PM.jpg

I have not seen this happen to me since v1.0
If toggle dock visibility will it go away?????
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 16, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Yep....gonna need more details

I am nor sure what you are pointing out???  :tellme:
General Software Discussion / Re: The best Media manager?
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 16, 2010, 03:27 PM »
I will be watching this thread as well, as I am interested to see what the DC members use and suggest  :Thmbsup:
Circle Dock / Video Tutorial suggestions being taken
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 16, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Hello again Folks

As Mouser suggested, and as it is a current project I am working on:
I would like to know what Video tutorials you would like me to see?

I can not guarantee that I will make it, it will not be tomorrow to be sure, and in English, but if you have a suggestion; I want to here it.

Let me know  :Thmbsup:

Regards
sarge
Agreed.....I am currently in the process of doing some written outlines for this concept.
Need to figure out what is important and in what order, then proceed..

I definitely need to make a Promo Video  ;)
Hello folks

I have been busting rear to create A Graphics Gallery and Tutorial Gallery at The wikidot site

The Graphics gallery is fairly straight forward. I just figured out how to enable page "Anchors" so I will be updating in page navigation soon  ;)
http://circledock.wikidot.com/gallery

The tutorial page hes become something special for me. It is my chance to get the Tutorials out, and do a serious promo for DonationCoder.com
DonationCoder.com has provided the venue for me to make the Tutorials, and through the wiki site I can promote CD and get folks here, as I have directed them here for the Full Tutorial  ;)
Not to mention giving CD Top Billing on the page  :Thmbsup:
I am rather proud of what I have done, but there is always room for improvement.
So if you think there is something I could do better, or give a cleaner presentation with, please let me know
http://circledock.wikidot.com/tutorials

Let me know folks, constructive criticism is always appreciated  :Thmbsup:

Hello again folks.

Time for another quick tip.

I have had several folks ask about what has happened to the native Options window for Standalone Stacks 2, now that Markham has integrated them.

well I will tell you that the native options are still there!  ;)

Simply Hold the "ctrl" button down and then left click on the Stack with your mouse

ie. ctrl+leftclick

This will bring up the original options windows for Standalone Stacks 2

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 10_16_09 PM.jpg

Hope this helps, and answers some questions  :Thmbsup:

Reagrds
Sarge
The following trick is based on the this tutorial at at How to Geek: Create a Shortcut or Hotkey to Turn the Desktop Icons On or Off

Pre-install Notes:
This will work flawlessly in XP and Vista, but there are a number of issues in Windows 7.
Apparently utilizing desktop auto change in Windows 7 , along with other Windows 7 customization, may render this tool useless.
I have been using it in Windows 7 64bit for several months now flawlessly.
Please read the original article at How to Geek for information on known issues
Also: This is temporary solution, when you restart your computer, your desktop Icons will automatically appear, you will need to toggle the Circle Dock button again to get the Desktop Icons to hide again.

Once again I bring you an old program to utilize with Circle Dock.
The ability to "Hide" Desktop icons with a little Context menu navigation has been available since the XP days.
But navigating through the various OS hoops is a pain, and not a simplified solution.
Hence the tool I am about to promote.

Tutorial Writers Notes:
This is part of my ongoing series of Tutorials, and there will be some important steps in this one, as I lead up to some of the more sophisticated Command Line Tools/Programs in my next tutorials. So even if you do not use this tool, you may wish to pay particular attention to the file Structure I am going to create in the Circle Dock core files.
In the future I will assume you know what I am talking about, as I will not start over from scratch in each tutorial, as this is time wasting and pointless!

So let's get on with it.

First we need the very small program that will allow us to Toggle the Desktop Icon Visibility.
The original site no longer exists, so we will use the Make use of Mirror or mt personal link
The tool we want is:
HideDesktopIcons Application (How to Geek)
HideDesktopIcons Application (Personal Link)

Additional Software Note:
If you get an error when you try to run this application, you probably need to have the Microsoft C++ runtime installed, which you can get get from the following link:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)
or
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)
I recommend the 2008 version as it is the most up to date, also both of these have SP updates, so after install, make sure you follow the update procedure as outlined by Microsoft for you OS.

So now that you have the "HideDesktopIcons.zip", what do you do with it???

This where we really start paying attention.
We create a new file in the Circle Dock core directory.
In my case I created a new file in "C:\Alternative Program File\Circle Dock\System\Add ons"
You may create any file name you wish, and place it anywhere you wish, but to maintain portability, you will want to Create a new folder in teh Circle Dock File somewhere. By placing the new folder in the Circle Dock System's Folder, if will be easy to find, and will be packaged if you make a zip and distribute your dock.

So lets create the specified File.
So go to where you have installed your Circle Dock.
In my case I have mine installed in a folder specified for portable and self-contained programs.
C:\Alternative Program File\Circle Dock

In this file I have only one other folder: System

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 8_50_51 PM.jpg

Go ahead and open the "System" File.
As we can see, there are a number of files here, and many of which are dedicated to Circle Dock Graphics

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 8_53_51 PM.jpg

Now lets add an easily identifiable folder.
In my case I have labeled my "Add Ons"

To create a new file (I suggest) right click in the body of the Window, Then Go to "New" then "Folder"
This will add the new folder, you may name it anything you wish at this time.

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 8_57_54 PM.jpg

Now that we have our new file, we need to add the Program to it.
Unzip the package and the "HideDesktopIcons.zip" and place the contents in your newly created folder in the Circle Dock Core.

Tutorial writer's Note:
I suggest creating and additional file to place the "HideDesktopIcons.exe" program in, as this will help keep various add ons separated as you add more 3rd party programs to Circle Dock in my case I created a folder to contain it in the the "Add ons" folder.

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 9_06_46 PM.jpg

Now that we have created a new Add ons folder and placed the new 3rd party program (HideDesktopIcons.exe) lets make the shortcut necessary to toggle our Desktop Icons.

Go to your Circle Dock and Right click on a clear area, and click on "Add" and then click on :File, Folder or Special Item"

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 9_10_40 PM.jpg

This will bring up a new/blank Item Settings window

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 9_14_18 PM.jpg

Now Top to Bottom

let us begin with the name:
I will Name mine; "Toggle Desktop Icons"

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 9_16_50 PM.jpg

You may enter something in the "Description (Optional)" space, but I feel the name says it all, so i will leave this blank

Moving on to "Target"
This is where we will make a link the new program (HideDesktopIcons.exe) for Circle Dock

Click on the "File" Option and then track down where you placed the "HideDesktopIcons.exe" program

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 9_21_38 PM.jpg

Once you have track down where you placed "HideDesktopIcons.exe" click it, then click "Open

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 9_23_16 PM.jpg

This should have entered the address to the program "HideDesktopIcons.exe", if you placed the program in the recommended earlier create file, you will see that Circle Dock has shortened the file path.
This is because Markham has made circle Dock a "smart" program and it can recognize that the program is in a sub-folder of the Circle Dock core files.

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 9_27_28 PM.jpg

No "Argument" is required so we will leave this blank.

"Start in Folder" is un-needed in my build here, but if you run Circle dock from a secondary drive or Partition, you may need to specify the C:/ directory and the explorer there, in order to activate the program in Windows, although I have not had any such issues in portable testing

In "Run (in Window Type)" Markham has graciously given us an additional option of "Hidden" in this drop down list.

Let's select the Hidden Option. Do we need to: No, but this is practice for future tutorials.

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 9_38_00 PM.jpg

Now Click "Finish"

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 9_39_42 PM.jpg

And voila we have our link with default Icon. Now we can Hide our Desktop icons as need.
Now you know how I keep my desktop clean.....It is not clean, just hidden.

Additional thought:
If you need quick access to teh Descktop stuff, create a Stack that is targeted at the desktop, so instead of showing teh desktop , you just open a stack to get access to your desktop goodies  :Thmbsup:

Screenshot - 2_15_2010 , 9_41_50 PM.jpg

Now you can drag a nice identifiable icon to this new shortcut, and since "the proof is on the pudding", go ahead and click the icon and see what it will do  :Thmbsup:

I hope you folks are having as much fun and education with these as I am.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask

Regards
Sarge
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 13, 2010, 02:13 PM »
Markham and I have just spent several hours going over the Command Line option of "Toggle Location x, y"
Apparently this will not be a do-able thing as it will Lock Circle Dock's position and render many options unavailable. There appears to be no way to separate..the moment You specify and x'y position, Circle Dock locks in to that position, ans then renders the Appear to Mouse Pointer worthless
Our judgment is not to implement such an option, regardless of the appeal.

The icons is something that I have been working with Markham about.
Observe here:
http://redmine.dcmembers.com/issues/78

Apparently an auto packaging or moving of Icons would render the Drag & Drop Option useless.
Therefore any Icons you wish to have as a portable solution, must be added to a Circle Dock directory (Default or Created).
Any Folders in the Circle Dock core directory will be packaged in the zip.
ie. If you created a folder(s), this will be included in the package as well.
So including Icons is to the advantage of the user that is looking for a portable solution, plus there is the added extra, that if your Icons are part of the Core directory, Circle dock can then find and render the icons faster and easier, saving system resources.

being that it is a choice of either a move icon to Circle dock default folder, or having Icon Replacement Mode
I will keep the Icon Replacement mode, as this has become invaluable and a signature of Circle Dock

I do not know if Relative pathing is NOT available.....I have made several, and they seem to work fine
ie.  .///program Files (x86)/Firefox.exe seems work fine, regardless of Circle Dock running from my Thumb Drive, G:/, or my Program Files (alternative)
Albeit: Put a period (.) in front of the string (ie   .//) See if this helps to correct that issue
Circle Dock / Re: Anyone find more capabilities of Circle dock?
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 11, 2010, 01:00 PM »
Greetings XXL007
Welcome to DonationCoder.com and Circle Dock's forums here.

Rainmeter is a completely different software from Circle Dock, and unfortunately has no way to be "anchored" to Circle Dock or it's activities
getting the clock in the center of Circle Dock, while Circle Dock is locked to it's location is simple. I place the Rainmeter skin to Bottom and Circle Dock to Z-Level of Normal, and then move the two items individually until I have them placed appropriately

As for Application Control:
This is greatly based on the programs capabilities, beyond just being able to create a shortcut.
as in FooBar200 There is a very extensive list of Command Line options, so it is easily controlled.
Winamp has several third party tools that Circle Dock can utilize to control it.

So it is a matter of the program and it's extensional capabilities.

Any programs in particular???

As for how to set them up...I have not covered that Via Tutorial as of yet....I have been working up to it as time presents itself
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 11, 2010, 11:20 AM »
Activate the Kiosk Mode  :Thmbsup:

Just add a password, and this way Circle Dock and active goodies get locked down  8)
Circle Dock / Re: V 1.5.1.1 Problems with Dock Settings and Item settings screen
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 11, 2010, 11:13 AM »
Oops...you are exactly right...My bad  :-[

Way too many conversations at the moment: IM, IRC, 2 Forums, and e-mail....
Ack!!!
Circle Dock / Re: V 1.5.1.1 Problems with Dock Settings and Item settings screen
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 11, 2010, 10:43 AM »
Okie Doke...This is good, but keep in mind that SP3 added additional .NET Framework handlers...your call...I know of many who refuse to update to SP3 for what ever reasons.
Circle Dock / Re: v 1.5 problems - freezes and crashes
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 11, 2010, 10:33 AM »
I did not snap to the Sp2...I must agree with the Install/update of XP SP3....This may eliminate the issue, or at least help narrow down the choices of issue(s)
« Last post by sgtevmckay on February 11, 2010, 08:56 AM »
Ultimately I had this issue as well.

There seems to be, for what ever unknown reason, rare cases that Circle Dock can not be installed and run properly from the Program Files or Program Files (x86)......It works like a charm from the program files (x86) on my desktop, but not on my laptop.

My solution was to do a clean install to a new folder I labeled; Program Files (Alternative)
This has had a lot of benefits, but 2 in particular.
1.) It is outside the UAC, but when Circle Dock is run, it is still monitored by the UAC
2.) This has given me a great place to put my self contained programs (ie. Portable applications or non-install)

I created the above mention folder, then did the Circle Dock install to that directory
I have not had an major issues since.

As I have pointed out this seems to be an intermittent issue with windows 7 64, but I am unaware of it effecting any ealier versions of Windows OS, and again it does not happen all the time. We are actively looking into this, but it is harder when it does not happen to everyone in the same manner across the same OS  :P

Try it, if you are comfortable with doing so, and I'd bet good money it will work  :Thmbsup:
You ar not missing a thing, except that to have a zip package (Standalone preset) and a full installer has become common place.
We do this at Rainmeter:

2 installers 2 zips

I each for 32 bit
one each for 64 bit

It os just a matter of catering abit to the customer needs.
At the same time the customers must also realize that hey get a product as is many times, and it is the programmer that is trying to make things easy...not or for him/her self, but the end user as well.

have it my way: I would release a standalone (set for portable mode) zip as well.
But I have left this to your good judgment Markham  ;)
Pages: prev1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 29next