topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday June 4, 2024, 11:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Recent Posts

Pages: prev1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14next

This is for the new Version 8

http://www.bitsdujou...om/vendor/outertech/

Living Room / Recommendation for removing eye flash
« Last post by bob99 on February 24, 2011, 01:47 PM »

Knowing there are a number of cat people here, could someone point me in the right direction of how to remove white eye in photo.  Removing red eye I have had success.  But white eye for some reason it just ends up looking like a black blotch,
Here's a reduced size of the photo. Used Renegade's Photo Resizer.

Sam Resize 1.jpg

All I have to work with at the moment is GIMP or Paint.net. Checked their sites for tutorials and haven't located any yet.  Thought maybe someone here may know.
I've been wanting to add his picture along with our other 5 "fur kids" for some time to the "Show us a photo..." thread and haven't gotten to it.  This is the best one I have of him. Unfortunately I'm not able to take a better one because in a couple of hours sadly we will be taking him to the vet for the last time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hadn't seen anything further and just wondered.  Were you able to get it working?
Coding Snacks / Re: IDEA: Plain text checklist manager
« Last post by bob99 on February 23, 2011, 12:56 PM »
OOO:
http://widefido.com/products/todopaper/
That program is perfect for what I was looking for.  Man, i wish it were free  :(.
If I detailed the characteristic features, do you think we could mimic it here?

I see on his blog that last spring and again this past winter (unfortunately expired Feb 1st, 2011) he offered specials and TodoPaper was available for $9.99. Though not free, looks like a good deal to watch for in the future.
You could copy to the clipboard, run PureText on it (which would strip out all the junk) and then paste in back into something like Word.

Once there, it should be relatively easy to create macros or a script to prettify it. I do this with a few things I'm responsible for where it's not worth the effort to pursue a more complex solution.

Not ideal, but it will give you something to use in the interim. Plus, copying to the clipboard gets around the hassles of trying to reverse engineer proprietary file formats so you can get at the underlying data.

I have done similar using Notepad++.  Pasted to it, run a pre-defined macro to clean it up and add delimiters if necessary then copy/paste into a pre-defined Word or Excel document/template.  It took a little front-end work setting up the macros and template but from then on it works smoothly.  And the more times I do it the easier and faster it goes.
General Software Discussion / Re: Let's Fork The Thread! Linux Notetaking Thread!
« Last post by bob99 on February 23, 2011, 09:04 AM »

Thought I would add this one to the list. It is more of a journal than some of the others listed. I did a quick search and did not see that it had been posted about in the forums before.
For Linux, Windows (install or portable), even says Mac.

http://rednotebook.s...forge.net/index.html
RedNotebook is a modern journal

It includes a calendar navigation, customizable templates, export functionality and word clouds. You can also format, tag and search your entries. RedNotebook is Free Software under the GPL.

* Tagging
    * Spell Check
    * Format your text bold, italic or underlined
    * Insert Images, files and links to websites
    * Links and mail addresses are recognized automatically
    * Live-Search
    * Automatic saving
    * Backup to zip archive
    * Word Clouds with most often used words and tags
    * Templates
    * Export the journal to PDF, HTML, Latex or plain text
    * The data is stored in plain text files, no database is needed
    * Translated into more than 20 languages

There are a number of review links at the bottom of the screenshots page.  One person wrote his comparison with Evernote. One thing I like about it is it isn't "cloud" based.  Though he says you could via one of the 3rd party online storage sites.

It's more of a gut feeling that things are just a little complex and confusing, and that this turns people away.

What about something like this:

Programs always run, always latest version, always full features enabled (just like now).
If you haven't put any license key in you will occasionally be reminded to click a link to get a license key (just like now).

However, the change will be to the license key page, similar to what jgpaiva proposed.  The simplified page will say:
  • 1. Click here for a license key that will work for 60 days; come back any time to get another.
  • 2. Or donate any amount to become a lifetime member and receive a permanent license key.

And remove all of the other rigmarole.

Oops, somehow scrolled too fast and over jgpaiva's post or could have just done a +1.
Simple is better.
IMO I would still consider leaving out the word FREE.
I'm running FF 3.6.13 and having no problems bringing up links posted on the site.  In regards to your other thread and you not being able to post with an attachment using FF.  I have not encountered this problem either.  Hopefully someone will have some suggestions to assist you with this.

Are there any numbers of disgruntled posters of the current system vs the ones it doesn't seem to be a problem? Prompting the consideration to change?  Or is it a "gut feeling" like they say on NCIS?

I feel that anyone who visits the site frequently enough should realize the benefits of donating whether as a coder or just as a user. Granted, some do need gentle reminders before it comes to them on their own.  The purpose of DonationCoder is well presented elsewhere on the site https://www.donation...icles/One/index.html

Need some help on this one since it has been a while since I installed Screen Captor and Launchbar Commander.  So bear with me if this is off a little. 

At the end of the installation there is a pop-up inviting the user to visit DonationCoder.  What about expanding (in fact physically expanding the window size so a bunch of scrolling isn't needed) in this window a short description of DoCo or a link to the expanded version above.  Then include wording to the effect of "you are able to use 'abc' for a period of ?? days.  If you haven't already, at the end of ?? days you will receive a gentle request (reminder) to join and post your comments on your use and experiences of 'abc'.  (Maybe set up a separate forum area for these) And at that time this will automatically extend the usage for ?? days/months"... and so on."  Not even use the word free in the statement, just the word "use."  Personal opinion, saying something is "free" then turning right around and asking for something in return can be a turn off.

Or (since I just looked), similar to how it is said it the 'About' section of the help menu in SC, LC, etc.

My 2 cents for what they're worth.  I'll continue to donate however it goes and as long as possible.

Living Room / Re: An Optical Illusion
« Last post by bob99 on February 15, 2011, 09:52 AM »
Helps me if I tilt the screen to look perpendicular at it and remove my glasses.  I have the progressive bi-focals and just a slight up or down movement can change the focus.

That took care of it  :Thmbsup: No more "boops"
Ver 2.90.01 that is.
Just copy/save it over the existing copy?

It was already un-checked.  So I enabled it and took a shot.  This time I heard the shutter click and "boop" in the background. Turned off Post Capture Sound again, took a shot and got just the "boop." Everything else seems to be working fine.  It's not a problem for me but wanted to let you know I was hearing something in XP also.

Furthermore it seems to affect Vista only (or primarily), and all the sufferers on this thread are using Vista.  So this is definitely the problem.

I am running XP Pro SP2 and hear a 'boop' whenever I press Prnt Scrn to capture the active window.  You say beep I say boop.  Is this the same thing being discussed here.  I've looked through options to turn it off but never seemed to find anything and also figured it was just a sound to confirm the capture.
I had a similar thing happen a while back with an audio device.  Reloaded software, drivers, reboots and still nothing.
What finally did work was a suggestion I found on a forum somewhere.  Can't remember which it was.
The person said to go into Device Manager and delete the USB port the device was operating through. Sometimes they get bumfuzzled.
After I did that and plugged the device back in it was re-recognized and worked fine.

Not sure if the same thing can apply with the printer but might work.
thanks for the tip -
checking the usb ports properly would be a logical step ... although I know they can work for one device and not for another (there was a thread about that here lately**). I'll try Stoic's suggestions first anyways before messing with ports

** https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=25359.0

I wasn't sure if it would be applicable in this case or not.  Thanks for pointing out the thread.  Some reason I hadn't looked at it before.  I got tired of trying to keep an HP printer working as it should.  Up until the last two I had dealings with they were great.  With the last two, even with help from others on HP's forum, it was one thing or another.  A couple of the suggestions to myself & others were buy a newer generation printer with more current drivers.  HP was not updating drivers on these.  Even though one was only a little over a year old.  That is what I finally did.  I found an inexpensive Canon MFP a few months ago and yet to have the 1st problem.

Good luck with figuring it out.

I had a similar thing happen a while back with an audio device.  Reloaded software, drivers, reboots and still nothing.
What finally did work was a suggestion I found on a forum somewhere.  Can't remember which it was.
The person said to go into Device Manager and delete the USB port the device was operating through. Sometimes they get bumfuzzled.
After I did that and plugged the device back in it was re-recognized and worked fine.

Not sure if the same thing can apply with the printer but might work.
N.A.N.Y. 2011 / Re: NANY 2011 Release: Snap DB
« Last post by bob99 on January 24, 2011, 01:54 PM »
Is there a maximum number of characters limit per field?

No, but only the first 260 characters are displayed in the listview though the entire field is saved.  There is no limit to the number of rows but, keep in mind, that saving and loading times will increase with larger listviews.  I have a test database of zip codes that is three columns and around 43,000 rows.  It takes around fourteen seconds to fully load on my computer.  Furthermore, there is a maximum of 200 columns allowed.  Does this answer your question?

Sure does.  I was doing some reading on some different sites regarding use of CSV files.  I came across a couple where people were having different problems based on the number of characters they were trying to work with.  All cases were where they were importing CSV files.  Some were working with 255 character text field lengths and others memo type field lengths which were much longer.  It was explained that some programs, while they will accept CSV imports, will limit the number of characters they will accept.  Usually the 1st 255 but some programs even smaller lengths.  Even though the imported CSV field could contain many more characters.

I doubt that I will ever have a field with even 255 characters, but if somehow I did, wondered what would happen.

« Last post by bob99 on January 24, 2011, 01:50 PM »
I appended two columns, renamed each and drug them to the left between two existing columns.  When I exported to a csv and brought them up in Excel, the appended columns were still on the right side.  Not where I moved them to.

Should be fixed in the most recent build.  Please test and let me know.  Thanks.

It works fine now. Forgot to let you know.
« Last post by bob99 on January 24, 2011, 12:00 PM »
skwire,

Is there a maximum number of characters limit per field?
I went through the earlier posts and didn't see where it was mentioned.

Thanks,
General Software Discussion / Re: Simple Photo Resizer - Please Give Feedback
« Last post by bob99 on January 24, 2011, 09:15 AM »

She's actually very smart -- doing her PhD now -- she just doesn't want to bother with software -- she wants to solve problems -- which is something techies tend to forget -- people have pain, and software doesn't solve that pain -- solutions solve pain -- software can implement the solution though. She's not alone. There are a lot of people that just want to "get things done" without any complexity to create additional barriers.

Perfectly said  :Thmbsup:
The KISS method for people who need it or just when they need it. 
« Last post by bob99 on January 21, 2011, 11:46 AM »

SnapDB is great!  It's now much easier for me using it to get some lists into csv format than I was doing before.

Something I've noticed though...

I took the easy (lazy?) way out and now only allow the appending of a new column to the end.  Once appended, the user can drag the new column wherever they want.

I appended two columns, renamed each and drug them to the left between two existing columns.  When I exported to a csv and brought them up in Excel, the appended columns were still on the right side.  Not where I moved them to.
N.A.N.Y. 2011 / Re: NANY 2011 Release: Ethervane Radio
« Last post by bob99 on January 16, 2011, 09:39 AM »

Thanks. My thoughts were it had to be something to do with the station since it hadn't happened before on others.  Didn't think about the station wanting to come in using a different port.

« Last post by bob99 on January 15, 2011, 03:18 PM »

"Playing" with ER.  Using the Find Station I put in a couple of station call letters I knew.  They weren't in the database yet.  Went back to your 1st post and read about the search feature so I tried the city name.  Up pops the stations in the DB for the city. COOL!

Clicked on one of them, sorry don't remember which one, and I got this pop-up:

Firewall Notice EtherVane.png

It's the 1st time it has happened and I've brought up a number of random stations and now some in different city or country searches.
This is on my Win 7 x64 with Windows Security Essentials AV.

If it helps I can go back through the history and see if it happens again.

« Last post by bob99 on January 12, 2011, 08:25 PM »

Installing on my Win 7 tonight.  Meant to ask before.  Should I 1st delete the files in the folder where I placed the earlier version or will they be overwritten after I unzip and copy or move the latest version to the folder? Should I have also deleted the files in the user app data folder before updating?  I noticed on my XP this morning that even after updating it had still remembered some favorites I had chosen during my random selections with the previous version. Ver 0.1.2b didn't attempt to create the database file like the 1st installation did.
« Last post by bob99 on January 12, 2011, 09:22 AM »

Tranglos

It is working on my XP sp2.  Meaning no shutdowns using the random selection.  But the CJFH test still isn't even after the config change to False.  I have to head out but will try again this evening to make sure I did everything correctly and let you know what is happening (or not happening).  Some stations not playing isn't a problem for me, there are still plenty of good ones to listen to.  I know this is still a work in progress.

Thanks again for the great N.A.N.Y. program/entry!
Pages: prev1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14next