topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature Request: Be able to exec programs with Limited Rights by default  (Read 4956 times)

Code6226

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Puchisoft
    • Donate to Member
This is clearly an optional feature, since most users haven't been able to make the switch to running as a User with Limited Rights (rather than Admin rights).

I understand that FARR needs Admin rights, to do all the cool stuff that it can.
However, for those of us who are trying to run most programs without Admin rights, it'd be nice to have a feature to not pass those admin rights onto other programs.

I can think of two ways to implement this ability:

Have FARR directly be able to boot programs as Admin or Limited
-Have a setting to change what the default rights are. (Give Admin Rights, or give Limited Rights)
-Then simply add Exception rules, which can be changed by FARR's right click menu
So you can type "Notepad" to find Notepad, right click on that to bring up FARR's menu, and click "Always Run this with Admin rights" or "Always Run this with Limited rights".
Of course, if you have never clicked either of those two, Notepad would always run with the rights that you told FARR to use by default.

Allow people to use a bootloader
-Programs like DropMyRights exist ( http://nonadmin.editme.com/DropMyRights ) that let you open programs with dropped rights via CommandLine.
-Combining that with a user-made batch file of white-listed Admin programs, and the default behavior of dropping rights, just allow people to tell FARR to always use the bootloader whenever FARR launches anything.
-I'm not sure how well this works when Shell Executing things (ex. you launch an .mp3), but I think it's do-able

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
This is really not a bad idea at all.. i could make an option where you could tell FARR to launch programs via another tool like DropMyRights, pretty easily..  perhaps if it's an advanced feature we should have a system where you can for example say "programs that match this pattern should be lauched like this, and programs with this pattern should be launched like that.

Code6226, send me an email ([email protected]) if you are willing to do some testing and configuring of programs like DropMyRights and are willing to test a version of FARR which uses programs like this to launch items.

Code6226

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Puchisoft
    • Donate to Member
Emailed.

For now, this is something I came up with. Since I don't just have this issue (Running a Limited User Account, but running some programs as Admin, and in turn having those Admin programs spawn other programs that shouldn't have Admin rights as Admin) with just FARR, but I also with Xplorer2, I am looking into a solution like so:

Note that this is probably overkill for most right now, and this is not to say that having FARR have this sort of Rights Management build in wouldn't be much nicer.
Also, this only works when you start Programs directly (clicking an EXE, or having FARR or anyone else run the EXE, as opposed to shell opening an MP3 and having WinAmp open that way).

I associated ".EXE" with a batch file. You may not have realized this was possible, but it's just like associating a ".MP3" with Winamp.exe. You can associate ".EXE" with some program, which then becomes responsible for launching what you want to launch.
You might think you'd get into an infinite loop, but Windows knows better. heh

Right then, so now whenever I start a program via ANYTHING, it opens with my little batch file.

Earlier I recommended DropMyRights, but that was designed for if you are running as an Admin by default, and want to downgrade. My scenario is that I am running as a Limited User, I upgraded my access, and now I want to downgrade it again.
I will now recommend CPAU ( http://www.joeware.n...tools/cpau/index.htm ).

So when my batch file is called upon to start a program, it looks at a WHITELIST of programs that need admin rights. If something isn't in the list, it will just be started by the current (limited) user.

The only thing else that I need is a shell context menu that is "Run as Admin". Sure, it's build into WinXP, but I don't feel like typing in my password so much.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I associated ".EXE" with a batch file. You may not have realized this was possible, but it's just like associating a ".MP3" with Winamp.exe. You can associate ".EXE" with some program, which then becomes responsible for launching what you want to launch.
nice idea

just to make sure you know... you can create a special alias which would "associate" exe files with your batch file, using the action keyword trick

from the help :
A new feature with FARR version 2 is the ability to specify alias names in your search string using the + prefix (just like keyword modifiers).

When an alias name is specified in this way, anywhere on the search string, it does not effect search, but it will cause the alias results to be displayed AFTER the result file is selected, with the selected file name as argument $$1 in the alias.

In this way, you can perform a normal file/folder search and then launch a specific alias command with that file/folder as an ARGUMENT.

For example, you could create an alias named +hexedit

whose result contents are:

C:\Program Files\HexEditors\HexEdit.exe "$$1"

Now you can type in your search:

+hexedit mydocsearch...

As you type mydocsearch words, FARR will let you search for files as normal.
After you choose the result, instead of launching the result file, you will be presented with
C:\Program Files\HexEditors\HexEdit.exe "SELECTEDFILE"
Which you can then launch.

NOTE:
You can use the same keyword for both alias names and search/scoring keyword modifiers.

Right then, so now whenever I start a program via ANYTHING, it opens with my little batch file.
of course it does not work with ANYTHING

just my two cents
Cheers, Nitrix