topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is there a Safari for Windows?  (Read 9709 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there a Safari for Windows?
« on: October 15, 2006, 12:39 AM »
My question is just that...
sence Apple is trying to "combine" into XP with BootCamp, is there a version of Safari for Windows? (Asking because my XP shell this month is FlyakiteOSX)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is there a Safari for Windows?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 04:01 AM »
Good question - the only references I can find are to someone porting Safari back in 2004 but no sight of a finished project.

There is however http://weblogtoolsco...-safari-for-windows/

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 08:41 PM »
Strange, you would think with their whole BootCamp thing that their pushing they would at least release Official Mac products, especially for users who want to see what OS X is like...

crono

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 06:11 PM »
Swift released a few month ago - in an early version. It lacks nearly all features right now, but it is really ok for Browser testing (and its lightning fast!)

http://www.getswift.org/ (it looks like the page is down right now - google for "swift_0.1.msi")

bye

PS: German computer magazine "chip" got a download link: http://www.chip.de/d...nloads_21069661.html

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:10 AM »
Ok, cool. Downloading now...
Thanks! :)
-Wreckedcarzz

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 01:20 AM »
Apparently it doesn't want to just install for me, but the whole computer  :o so the install failed and complained to me...guess I'll be waiting for the next release, but at least I got the name!  ;D
-Wreckedcarzz

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 03:04 AM »
yes, there is now - Safari 3 Public Beta.. has anyone actually tried it to confirm the 'speedy gonzales' claim? :)

ws-safari-win-1.png
http://www.apple.com/safari/

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 04:04 AM »
Yeah they don't test CSS performance, which is where I think the majority of the performance gain comes from. It's impossible without a professional setup and some kind of application timer and browser debugger to verify the claims: a typical website can have several css files, a html file, several javascripts and dozens of images. It definately does seem quicker than IE7, similar to firefox, and slower than Opera. Sites like http://news.bbc.co.uk are really fast (must be html heavy), sites like http://zeldman.com (css heavy) are not as fast as the fastest competition), this on our work connection.

Rendering engine is great, mac on pc experience is great, native ui integration is poor, memory usage is 3x typical Opera, and it's a beta. A good first test I would say.

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 04:15 AM »
yes, there is now - Safari 3 Public Beta.. has anyone actually tried it to confirm the 'speedy gonzales' claim? :)

http://www.apple.com/safari/

I got it. Yes it is, noticeably faster than Opera 9, at least going forward (only tried it back-to-back on this forum). It doesn't have Opera's trick of displaying the cached copy of a page you go back to, so that is slower. At first glance, navigation options seem more limited.

Otherwise
Nicer-looking than Firefox, good RSS integration, works better with Google's stuff  than Opera does  :up:

It's still a beta so crashes more ofte. Some people have found problems with fonts.

If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 04:18 AM »
Safari for Windows, 0day exploit in 2 hours
By Thor Larholm

Apple released version 3 of their popular Safari web browser today, with the added twist of offering both an OS X and a Windows version. Given that Apple has had a lousy track record with security on OS X, in addition to a hostile attitude towards security researchers, a lot of people are expecting to see quite a number of vulnerabilities targeted towards this new Windows browser.

I downloaded and installed Safari for Windows 2 hours ago, when I started writing this, and I now have a fully functional command execution vulnerability, triggered without user interaction simply by visiting a web site. I will not sell this one to ZDI or iDefense but instead release it here, as I have done lately with a number of 0day vulnerabilities. This place is where you get my latest research :)

ha-ha
so much for all the nice apple software that's oh-so much more secure ;-)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 04:35 AM »
It seems faster than it is because it waits a while and then builds up the page in one pass, addin in images afterwards as they load. So part of the initial delay unconsciously you contribute to the os responding to your clicks, while safari works in the background. I think Opera builds up the page as it comes? Not sure but that seems to correspond with what I am seeing.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 08:11 AM »
justice: firefox (and probably opera as well) build up the page before showing, although there's a tweakable "initial paint delay". This is done because the browser has to "re-flow" the page layout way too much if it starts rendering as soon as it has data.
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 12:20 PM »
yes, i also have that "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" setting at zero so that firefox builds the page on-the-fly but it is only noticeable on a good connection.. i didn't seriously thought that safari could be twice as fast without some trade-offs.. anyway, for now it's just the curiosity factor. :)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 03:15 PM »
There is another thread about the Windows version over in General Software discussion:
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=8832.0

I had some painful redraw issues with it, as I note the thread mentioned above, so I gave it the boot.

C

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 03:18 AM »
do you think it's because of the beta status? hmm.. is there a way to send feedbacks to apple? :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 04:19 AM »