topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Getting Started With Borland C++ Builder Q& A ?  (Read 13314 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Getting Started With Borland C++ Builder Q& A ?
« on: May 29, 2007, 06:58 AM »
Here is question set that most of the newbies came up while using builder.Some questions may sound absurd but i m presenting in such way that answers to these will be a complete help file for any newbie.Please do take time to answer,some answers are in the help file but they sound too technical too understand for newbies.Consider text editor example and please take look at some questions:

1.How to read the whole project in terms of which files are meant for what purpose in C++ builder?(e.g form file,main1.cpp etc)

2.How to add standard menus to application(e.g. File | Edit | Help) ?

3.How to add action associated to these menus?

4.How to create Tabbed interface for opening multiple files(Consider text editor in thsi case)

5.How to add another wordspace area apart from Text editing area (Look at skyide that has left pane for project file browsing and another for editing).

6.How to add line numbers & line highlighting in text edit section?

Please add screenshots & code if possible or needed.Edit this post if you want to put it as tutorial or guide.If any thing requires additional componenet installation please explain in abt that component's installation in C++ builder.

Please do take some time to answer the question.Your help is much valuable to programmer newbie like me and many others.Thanking in advance.

Your help is much appreciated.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Getting Started With Borland C++ Builder Q& A ?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 07:23 AM »
1-5 can be done purely visually, using the IDE.
Rather than people giving you a walkthrough with screenshots, the best advice other programmers like me can give you is to get used to using a search engine and figuring it out through experimentation.  All of the things you are asking are things that C++ Builder is *specifically* designed to make easy through point-and-click manipulation from inside the visual editor.  Get yourself a c++ builder book if you're going to use it seriously.

The last item #6 is going to require a 3rd party drop-in replacement editor component.  Adding such components is one of the fun parts about c++ builder, so your job now is to find one to use and learn how to install it into c++ builder.

But again, you don't really want to ask people's help for how to do these things..  Save your requests for help for when you get stuck *after* you've gone and done your searching and tried to figure it out for yourself :)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 07:28 AM »
That's right mouser.I have tried some of the things and i'm stuck on it.I;m surreounded by poeples who dont know abt cpp builder its projects in my college.with trial n err i have come this close.please help me atleast with instructions.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 09:54 AM »
mahesh2k I have to agree with mouser. The questions you have asked require you to read a tutorial. There is too much to discuss and personally (no offense) I don't have enough time to write a tutorial. I mean, SkyIDE doesn't even have a help file.

If you were already experienced we can point you at the right direction but the stuff asked above is too simple requiring detailed explanation. Definitely search Google for C+ Builder tutorials.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 10:46 AM »
Some of those are found in the C++ Builder 6 help file...in the text editor tutorial.

When beginning with C++ Builder, it is a good idea to start with that tutorial and do that project....then hit the rest of the help file...then google.

In case your version of C++ Builder doesn't come with the text editor tutorial, you can get a copy of the v6 help files here (have to register for free):  http://cc.codegear.com/item/24339

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 04:38 PM »
There is also "Examples" directory in C++ Builder with working programs that tells you how stuff is done.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 09:19 AM »
Ok.I agree.But point is whenever i tried to do something with it,get frsustrated & i  even don't have anyone arround to ask for help or share the frustration.So i came up with these question so that a guy like me somewhere on planet can get a help. :Thmbsup:

1. maybe you don't like the  way i work.I don't mind.But sorry to say i tried google,msn and got very few resources for Borland.

2. Help file can answer some of my questions but like 1. :i have found two ways to add menu into the form but i unbale to find out how to add actions to it,I have added the addmenubar from the win32 component list.even reading the help file two three times,i'm not getting the right path for it.

3. I have searched the net for Borlands book but due to unavailablity of credit crad i can't order them.also they are not available locally in town.I 'm asking for ebook from my friend if it is availbale.

I'm looking for Borland C++ builder 6 devlopers guide by herbert schildt.please pm me if you have link to ebook.

Hope my question/reply doesn't hurt anybody personally.

Thanks anyway.

arunpawar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 09:34 AM »
Hmm...
Nice questions.
mahesh you came up with good questions set but i think these guys has very short time to answer such big questions.Actually they thought you are less contributing member,i had the same problem in SAF forum,people help you less if you don't put yourself in community.

But right now you have decent posts & helping others also.you might get help one way or the other.

Actually borland C++ builder is very less documented on the internet.Why don't you blog about it on your programming site when you learn most of such stuff ?

anyway goodluck for questions.