topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Gridmove - feature request  (Read 8879 times)

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Gridmove - feature request
« on: April 08, 2007, 02:47 AM »
Hi JGPaiva

Gridmove has inspired this idea/request.

This would mainly be beneficial to twin monitors.
in short, the right monitor show a preview of all applications active, and the left monitor is the work area.

Most of my work is predominantly done on the left monitor, and the right for reference and keeping a eye on different apps.

What I would like -
- to have a grid on the right monitor, and a full screen on the left.
- the grid on the right auto detects apps that are open and grids accordingly (2x2, 3x2, 3, 3x4 custom etc)
- when a new application is started, become full screen on left, and existing full screen is swapped to right and new grid shown.
- when i select a window on the right grid, it automatically expands and swaps to full screen on the left
- when a swap occurs, the app that was full screen (left) is now shown on the right screen in the grid.(swaps position)
- selection of grid windows by mouse or shortcut, ie ctrl-alt-3 would swap left monitor with grid no#3 window
a quick dc irc discussion suggested this could be done by a 'gridmove command' that when activated would automatically swap with the biggest grid location. thus allowing single screen users a similar function.

if this is not entirely clear, just let me know and I will try some mockup screen shots etc.

this might also be a entirely new application, but it fits the 'gridmove' feel and functionality

Brett

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 02:51 AM by brett »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gridmove - feature request
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 04:27 AM »
Hi Bret!

You mean having something like Mac's Exposé on one screen and the normal work on the other one?

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 06:21 AM »
Hmmmm,,,
never used a mac, but i can see why they beat their chest.
That looks nice.

Yes, a preview of all open apps on the right, a working area on the left
previews have a small number hint displayed

Brett

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 06:34 AM »
I can see what you mean, but unfortunatelly, i have no way to do it. I can't reproduce windows or make a preview of them, only move the window itself.
There are a bunch of expose-alikes for windows, though. I've tried Winplosion and it was pretty good! It has changed owners, though, not sure if it's still the same or better.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 08:44 AM »
I can't reproduce windows or make a preview of them, only move the window itself.
jgpaiva,
I think the latter is what he wants. Lets say you have 10 apps. You have a 3x3 grid on monitor 2 and a single 1x1 on monitor 1. As you do WIN + 0 you get Application #10 on the 1x1 and numbers 1-9 on the 3x3. When you do WIN + 5 you get Application #5 on the 1x1 and  1-4 + 6-10 on the 3x3. Etc.

Here is a screen mock up:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 09:08 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D Love our screen mockup, tinjaw!  :Thmbsup:

Yeah, i met bret on the irc channel, and we talked about this, and i got to the conclusion that he's looking for something i thought GridMove could become. (just check the huge GridMove thread, and you'll find a few references to something similar to this).

I love the idea, and would definitelly like to have something like this for myself, as i usually use my own 2 monitors like that.

I have bad news, though. Truth is latelly things have been chaotic at school, and i haven't been having much (or should i say any?) time for making coding snacks. Thus, i prefer not to commit to this project, as i'm almost sure i'd let you guys down.

Thus, in 2-3months, when i'm on vacations, let's see if we can talk about this again :)

In the meanwhile, if anybody feels like they're up for this task, i'd definitelly have some DCredits in store for that person :)