topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows Vista goes gold  (Read 4706 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows Vista goes gold
« on: November 08, 2006, 01:48 PM »
It's hard to put Windows Vista in perspective. On the one hand, the product has been in development for over five years, which means that Vista had one of the longest development cycles in the 20+ year history of Windows. (See my Road to Gold series for an exhaustive breakdown of that time period.)

Paradoxically, Windows Vista is both revolutionary and evolutionary. While it includes modern OS features, such as a new hardware-based graphical user interface (GUI), Vista will also feel like familiar territory, for the most part, to anyone that's already familiar with Windows XP. And Mac advocates can claim, truthfully, that many of Vista's best features appeared first on Mac OS X, sometimes years ago.
-Winsupersite.com

See more here

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Vista goes gold
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 12:29 AM »
will be interesting to see how it shapes up.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 04:21 AM »
will be interesting to see how it shapes up.
...or falls apart, as I hope.
- carpe noctem

Don Porter

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:05 AM »
 :o
I think I have read every article I've seen about Windows Vista and I've come to one conclusion..  They have made it almost impossible for we of less affluence to buy.  My machine is only 3 years old and I've estimated that it would cost me in excess of $500.00 to bring it up to recommended strength.  I guess I'll just have to wait. On top of that, My Windows HP works fine

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 08:13 AM »
I honestly dont agree. There are several options, one of which is Windows XP Home Premium Upgrade edition, that provide users of "less affluence" more bang for their buck. 95% of users will NEVER need the features offered in Windows Vista Ultimate but will think they do because of the "Ultimate" in the name. I, for one, have found several features I will use on a daily basis that WVU offers and I do intend to buy a copy.

The one thing I cant stand is that microsoft is not putting x64 and x86 on the same disc, requiring a separate purchase. This is per Microsoft's sales team. I emailed them asking this question.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 08:52 PM »
The one thing that annoys me more than anything is that they've stripped out the possibility of joining a domain with all but the business versions of Vista, just like they did with XP. This means that the home editions is out of the picture for many of us that would like to take our home PC's with us to work. You can't really go for the regular business editions either, because many of us would like to have the media centre functions, and those are only found in Home Premium and Ultimate. What alternatives does that leave us with? None really, as Ultimate is the only one that have both functions. Why Microsoft, why do you guys keep doing this to us?! >:(
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.