topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Saturday April 27, 2024, 10:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Synchronization software with tree view, moved files detection and size ignore  (Read 7716 times)

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi forum,

I am looking for a synchronization tool with the above-mentioned features.

I would love to use FreeFileSync due to its unparalleled and simple user interface and incredible speed. Unfortunately, FreeFileSync does not allow to ignore file size when comparing files. GoodSync is also excellent, but does not allow ignoring file size either.

I have also tried Syncovery and Bestsync. With both, however, the user interface is unfortunately off-putting, and many features of FreeFileSync are missing.

So I'd be grateful for tips for synchronization tools that are as similar as possible to FreeFileSync, at the same time having all features mentioned in the subject.

FreeFileSync:

GoodSync:

Please don't take offense that this is a crosspost with Stack Exchange. I will notify each end if anything happens on the other.

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 Ignoring may be because of file compression that does not change the content.
Ans this compression occur at various levels?
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello David, there is this:

filter_ffs.png

https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=exclude-files

If you need more elaborate file exclusion, it can be worked via .ffs_batch file, like:

<Exclude>
<Item>\System Volume Information\</Item>
<Item>\$Recycle.Bin\</Item>
<Item>\RECYCLED\</Item>
</Exclude>

So, a tiny script/utility can be coded to exclude further complex filtering into the ffs batch.

Cheers!
My name's Victor but do feel free to call me Vic! (now known as "paradisusvic")

❤️ Support on Patreon @ www.patreon.com/paradisusis
New Email/Paypal: paradisusvicgmail.com

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok, that sounds awesome. Will try asap.

Edit: otoh, this seems to be a filter, not a comparison criterion, so I believe this would not ignore the file size when checking whether two files are identical.

In other words, I need a comparison mode where files with the same name and date but different size are considered identical, and renames/moves are identified via database, for example.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 07:18 AM by David.P »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I need a comparison mode where files with the same name and date but different size are considered identical
That's rather weird, as those files can't be identical... and probably the reason no comparison tool will accept that condition :huh:

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah it's weird. But this is what happens to each and every Office file that you upload to SharePoint, unfortunately. Its size increases. And then you're out of luck with almost every sync software.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So, does the date stay the same?
I'm pretty sure Syncovery will compare by date and ignore size.  Or maybe even ignore both (can't check ATM, I'm on my phone).

I have also tried Syncovery [...] the user interface is unfortunately off-putting, and many features of FreeFileSync are missing.
Yes, It can be overwhelming with all the options. What features are missing?
Tom

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, I have used Syncovery myself for years, but I am now totally spoiled by the awesome user interface and speed of FreeFileSync. For example, the extremely easy ways to show or hide categories in the preview or to open selected files or to view them in Explorer.

In comparison, Syncovery's user interface is just dreadful. The sync preview has no colors, scrolling is totally jerky, and it shows me thousands of folders where nothing has changed, so that I can't possibly see the ten files that actually have changed.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I believe that Beyond Compare will allow you to ignore file size when comparing and synchronizing folders. It's not striclty speaking a synchronization program, although I use it for that purpose more often than Syncovery because it gives me better feedback for what I might want to look at before I proceed. It does not watch folder for moved files though.

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks very much, and sorry for the late reply. Do you happen to know whether Beyond Compare recognizes files and folders that have been moved or renamed?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks very much, and sorry for the late reply. Do you happen to know whether Beyond Compare recognizes files and folders that have been moved or renamed?
have you found that out anywhere?

Their website isnt very informative, I was considering it myself, cause I often want to compare rather than synchronise folders -- but that aspect seems to be only fully available in the pro version which twice the price ...
https://www.scooters...ware.com/kb/editions
Folder Compare alignment overrides
Overrides how files are aligned in a Folder Compare session.  For example, you could compare your .gif files on one side with .png files of the same name on the other side.
Tom

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have implemented yet:

Synchronizing same folders where one side was renamed

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Window's shortcuts often (always?) find the destination file even if it has been renamed - so long as it's still local (not external or network).

Have never heard of a backup programme that does this.

Syncovery's [...] sync preview [...] shows me thousands of folders where nothing has changed, so that I can't possibly see the ten files that actually have changed.
in case this puts anyone off the idea of Syncovery - the list can be easily filtered, including to just show changed files.
Tom

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
in case this puts anyone off the idea of Syncovery - the list can be easily filtered, including to just show changed files.

Correct. The problem was that all of my folders had different modification dates on both sides. For this reason, Syncovery would show every single one of my 15,000 folders even in the sync preview mode that is supposed to only "show affected" items. After changing one of the about 35,372 option settings of Syncovery (unfortunately, I don't remember which setting that was), I managed to solve this issue.