topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature Request v2 - file explorer/browser mode?  (Read 6981 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Feature Request v2 - file explorer/browser mode?
« on: July 12, 2005, 10:11 PM »
cracksloth has made a good case for this feature in previous thread, and for the implementation of plugins and stuff, but i'm afraid that it may just be too much of trying to add a totally independent application to f&r.  in other words, why would it be better to use f&r to do this compared to using a real (but small windowed) file explorer?  ie if it uses none of the features of f&r, then it probably doesn't belong in f&r.  there is so much to do with f&r that i think we should focus on a search tool rather than a generic "small window popup tool" which can host any plugins.  [we can talk about such a project as a separate tool later, perhaps as a generic docking bar thing]

having said that, there were ideas that cracksloth raised about adding file browsing or file previewing capabilities that i am still tempted by.  for example, it might be useful to be able to search for folders, and then double click to launch them in a (customizable) file browser.  so for example if you typed "mymp3s\"  then it might find all the DIRECTORIES with the string mymp3 in them (maybe scoring those ending in mymp3 highest, since its probably what you were looking for), and then you could double click to launch and browse that directory in your normal file explorer.

or if we really wanted to get fancy we could try implementing one of those kinds of file "preview" panels so that when you clicked on a file or folder an optional panel would show you a preview of the file contents (depending on the file type), or folder contents.  but then i think this might be more work than its worth, and we might be better off letting a standalone preview/explorer tool do the job.

i'm also still struggling with the extent to which f&r should move to be a more effective document (as opposed to program) searcher.  ie allow people to more easily specify dynamic folders to search in for each search; ability to search within files; ability to search things like mp3 tags, etc.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request v2 - file explorer/browser mode?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 05:42 AM »
One idea, probably falls under the "why do it?" catogory (but I'll bring it up anyway!),  what about allowing FindRun to display a folders contents directly?  You search for a folder, FindRun gives you a list of the matches.  If you single click on the folder it would bring up a list of what's in the folder.  Handy if you know the folder but not the filename.  I realize this functionality may already be present with the folder search (ie you can already open the folder in Explorer).  Just thought you could maybe make a faster process.  Just an idea!

Kevin 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 06:35 AM »
yes, this is definitely an idea that i am considering..
it might work like this, an "expandable" (or configurable) 'preview' panel.
so that when you click on an item (whether folder or file), it would show in the preview panel.
in the case of clicking on a folder, it would show the contents of that folder (or locate the folder in a folder tree and show the contents?)
if you clicked on a file, it would preview the contents of the file (or locate the parent folder in a folder tree and select the file and show where it is?)

this is an intriguing possibility for sure.. and we should talk about it more because it's possible that if this request is desired, maybe all shell operations (dragging out of window, right clicking for full context menu), would be more easily handled as operations from this panel rather than from main results panel.

cracksloth

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 03:37 AM »
i'm not personally a big fan of the idea of adding a preview pane.  i would much rather limit f&r to the single simple window.  here is a new idea for integrating file browsing that wouldn't require a plugin system (not that the other one really did either - i was just thinking out loud about possibilities).  just have a general program setting that specified whether the user wants double clicks to open within the results window or to use the default file manager.  that way both users are happy and if the user changed his mind for a particular folder, he could have both options available from the right-click menu.  i do not really think it is necesssary for f&r to have any other "preview" features but like i mentioned before, if f&r were to use explorer to display folder contents, then it would automatically have the ability to display thumbnails for images and videos - in fact i encourage you to use explorer for displaying regular searches as well simply because it already has a great deal of the features requested for file manipulation (context menu, drag/drop, slow double click rename, thumbnails, different view modes, etc.).  also, it would be possible to create commands to display html in f&r.  when a folder is being displayed, it is really just specifying a very specific search criteria.  to reflect this, the search field should read "<folderpath>".  from there, you could stack even more search criteria, like "<folderpath> *.mp3" in order to just display mp3s.  anyway, this is all old news so i digress...  :)