topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 8:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Exploiting Glitches to Win Games Quickly (Speedruns)  (Read 1943 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Exploiting Glitches to Win Games Quickly (Speedruns)
« on: November 16, 2021, 02:07 AM »
There have been a couple of similar posts on this subject already, see the one about beating Castlevania: Symphony of the Night with assembly code here (along with a couple other videos about Super Mario World) or the one about the race to conquer Mario Kart's Choco Mountain in seconds here, but I'm creating a more generic thread here which any future similar video (or article) can be posted to.

To start off the thread, here's a video of how speedrunners beat a trial version of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time which would automatically reset after 5 minutes had elapsed. The methods used in this one is similar to the above linked Castlevania video, where the speedrunner performs certain actions in the game to rewrite parts of system/game memory to get the desired result.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl contains a timed demo of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, with only 5 minutes of playtime. Defeating Ganon and beating the game sounds completely impossible in the demo! However, speedrunners have found a way. Here's how they did it.

How Speedrunners Beat the Brawl Ocarina of Time Demo

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Exploiting Glitches to Win Games Quickly (Speedruns)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 05:00 PM »
Okay, so while this person does exploit glitches for their speedrun, that's not really what this one is about, but I think it's really cool and deserves to be shared anyway.

Over 1 year to create - this video combines 5162 attempts to speedrun Super Mario Bros. I recorded 193 hours of attempts (and practice) on an original 1985 Nintendo Entertainment System - then I wrote a custom computer program to process those videos and combine them via machine learning and conventional image processing techniques.

Watch it here:

And here's the "behind the scenes" on how the video was made:

And finally, the technology built for the above video was used and adapted and built upon to combine all 275 speedruns from speedrun.com/smb1 that got a time of less than 5:00 into a single video.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 05:15 PM by Deozaan »