topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IS THERE AN ADJUSTABLE "DARK SCREEN" FOR WINDOWS?  (Read 5626 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IS THERE AN ADJUSTABLE "DARK SCREEN" FOR WINDOWS?
« on: November 27, 2019, 04:55 AM »
Hello,

I do not know if this is the best place to post, but I have to start somewhere. @Mods - please move it to a better home if necessary.

Like the subject says, I am looking for a utility that I can attach on top of or lay on top of Windows 10 "windows."

I normally run a dark themed computer environment both on the screen and in my room due to a strong light sensitivity. I have about 85% of my computer visuals darkened, but the last 15% has been stubborn. As a result I am seeking a filter which will darken those blinding assaults which melt my eyes. LOL

I have some apps which require a natural color environment, so using the native Magnifier to globally reverse screen color values is not an option. I have tried.

Thoughts, ideas, links?

Thanks.   

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IS THERE AN ADJUSTABLE "DARK SCREEN" FOR WINDOWS?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 02:55 PM »
I bought some physical filters sized to cover the screen. A variety of colours are available (seems that there's a lot of individual difference in which colours work best). Certainly not perfect and they impair clarity a little. I don't use them most of the time any more, but do go back from time to time.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 04:04 PM »
there's a program called flux or something like that, free, which can do dimming and things like that on schedule.  Maybe that's an option.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 04:19 PM »
To flesh out superboyac's post:  f.lux® software to make your life better

Ever notice how people texting at night have that eerie blue glow?

Or wake up ready to write down the Next Great Idea, and get blinded by your computer screen?

During the day, computer screens look good—they're designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn't be looking at the sun.
f.lux

f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.

Free on Windows, for personal use

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 04:31 PM »
Windows 10 has this built-in. It's called "night light" mode. I was going to suggest it, but this dissuaded me from mentioning it:

I have some apps which require a natural color environment

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 11:50 PM »
If you haven't done so already, follow all the instructions in this howtogeek article to get a much darker Windows 10 experience.

But if you don't wish to read through this, a very brief summary: in the article the author states that the best results were achieved using a tool called WindowsBlinds. The tool is not free, but also not too expensive. It allows you to create your own dark theme for any/all software packages (Microsoft and 3rd party), but there are also already pre-made dark themes. These cost also money, though.

And as this period of the year is an expensive one already, you might not be waiting for extra expenses like this.

Let me say first that I have no idea about the list of alternatives for WindowBlinds that I will present here, so don't complain if your Windows computer gets botched beyond recognition:

These ones are discontinued and are just added for completion. Don't use these, unless you don't mind losing everything:

These also appear to be old:

For myself, I am using the F.Lux freeware to dim the lights at night. And that is sufficient for my needs, but I understand your needs are more severe and I don't think F.Lux will be of much use to you. Just as Windows own "night light" won't do. Hence my list of suggestions.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Hello,

I apologize for disappearing. I just discovered my new mail service pegged DC alerts as spam. I just now discovered the replies when I was reviewing my spam folder. Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. Since I just now discovered the thread responses it may take a day or two to look at the suggestions in detail. I appreciate your efforts, some of them quite detailed.

Happy Holidays!
CT

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 11:33 AM »
I used WindowBlinds for a period. I was very pleased with it early on.
But I found it needed a lot of maintenance. Often little things, just to get it going again. Dealing with imperfections in chosen themes. Etc.
That's why I ended up going with global changes. At least they're stable. And light themes are ubiquitous in programs, so I get no surprises from unexpected white panels. (With the exception of Evernote - but I'll be fine as long as i can use classic mode.) Where I can, I choose more subtle themes. Used WindowsBlinds to do that for all programs but themes always introduced a glitch somewhere along the line.

I'm not sure what I'll do with photos etc long-term. Maybe use another computer. Maybe some programs would allow me to reverse the reversal, just within their own window.