topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: the power of Linkman  (Read 5175 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
the power of Linkman
« on: July 20, 2019, 07:23 AM »
This was meant as a reply to Cyberdiva on another thread.

Pale Moon as my browser due to the wonderful extensions
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=48093.0

However, let's keep it as its own. This has been by far the most valuable program I have used, without any real comparable alternative, imho.

=====================

Linkman gives full support.  And they are pretty robust in having a number of browsers built-in. Hard to find improvements that will bring them from 8.99 to 9.0.  And I have over 100K bookmarks and it works wonderfully.

Once I suggested that they might have an archive feature, where your pages could be kept on your disk, for those that vanish or become 404s. (A decent pct. can then be found in Archive.org. or by Google search.)  They actually were working on it a bit, I think they decided it was too much effort and complication for too little usage.

What a program! It is especially helpful as a research assistant. I group a topic with a keyword (e.g. the "real Nazareth" or "WooCommerce plugin") and when the topic comes up in discussion I quickly have my 5 or 50 urls on the topic, with some notes about what is in that page.  Also with Google books and Archive.org, I line it up in order and give each page of interest a description of what I found there. 

Remember the predecessor, Powermarks :).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 07:29 AM by Steven Avery »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: the power of Linkman
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 04:41 PM »
Hi Steven,
I'm not sure what exactly I said that you're replying to.  Was it my statement that as far as I knew, Linkman hadn't been updated in quite a while, but it works perfectly for me just as it is? I see you mention version 8.99. I've got 8.98.0.1. Not sure what the differences are between mine and 8.99. After reading your current posting, I went over to the Linkman site. The page says that Linkman integrates with Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Opera, but it says nothing about Pale Moon. It used to be that that didn't matter, because Pale Moon could use Firefox extensions. But now that Firefox has changed the way it does extensions, that's no longer true. So I'm not sure how I would upgrade to 8.99 if I wanted to. As I say, though, I'm not sure it matters, since 8.98 does what I need.

And yes, happy to see your shout-out to Powermarks!  I too used it for years and loved it.  :up:

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 05:37 PM »
8.9.9.11 is what I have.  Pretty sure the differences are tiny.

Firefox/PaleMoon is mentioned in Tools->Settings->Browser.

And I had no problem putting it on Pale Moon. You have to use the Legacy .xpi which you download to your disk/desktop whatever and is on the Linkman Firefox extension page.  Then you pick it up with the button in the Pale Moon Extension page that loads an extension from a file.  That is what worked for me on Pale Moon, also Waterforx and Cyberfox, I think. (Lenovo SFF with little on it, so I loaded about 12 browsers for fun.)  It is all the same extension. It would work for Firefox 56 but why bother with Pale Moon handy.  You can identify the browser by using the Tools-Settings-Browser User Defined.  (Or default is good too, for calling.) That is helpful for loading a page from Linkman to the browser, where you have various choices even at the time of loading.

If you use the Quantum .xpi then it will say the file is corrupted and the extension will not load.
The extension will always communicate with the Linkman Drop Basket, just remember that if it is squirrelly you probably initiate the ADD/EDIT from the browser side.

And sometimes you change 80 to 81, port, but on my latest use of a Windows 7 it was not clashing with Skype, dunno why, so I left everything at port 80 for now.

I do go in and out of Pale Moon, Firefox (Quantum and Quantum ESR) and Chrome (regular and Canary). I use Opera for some oddball sign-ons as well, it is my back-door browser. And use the others more on a whim.

Make sense?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:48 PM by Steven Avery »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 09:36 PM »
And sometimes you change 80 to 81, port, but on my latest use of a Windows 7 it was not clashing with Skype, dunno why, so I left everything at port 80 for now.
-Steven Avery (July 20, 2019, 05:37 PM)

On a side note:
Skype hogs port 80 for no other reason than that port being the least likely to be blocked by a firewall of any kind. But this is irritating for those that run a website development server locally. Or any other software that uses port 80. If you run such software as a (background) service, make sure that Skype starts last when you reboot your computer. Skype can use almost any port for its communication and selects one randomly if port 80 has already been occupied.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Steven, thanks very much for the helpful info about updating Linkman on Pale Moon. Given what you say about the differences between your version and mine being very small, I think for the moment I'll leave mine as it is. But I have your message saved (yes, I know I can find it here, but....), and if/when eventually I find a compelling reason to update, I know I'll find that message helpful.  Again, many thanks!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 11:39 AM »
linkman!  i remember right here on dc transitioning from powermarks to linkman.  yes linkman is a godsend to those like me who were obsessed with powermarks.  so linkman is still chugging along?  seems like it was last updated in 2017...still...not bad, looks like it is working and the developer is still active.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 03:51 PM »
Once I suggested that they might have an archive feature, where your pages could be kept on your disk, for those that vanish or become 404s.
-Steven Avery (July 20, 2019, 07:23 AM)

You might try Local Website Archive (LWA, free and payware versions) by Aignesberger Software, author of the more famous WebSite-Watcher.  If you need to keep exact copies of web pages offline, it's the best I've seen.  Usually I only need redacted fragments, which I keep in notekeeping-program-of-the-week, but for perfect copies, this is the thing to have.

Given that Aignesberger Software make these two excellent web-oriented programs already, it's a pity they haven't offered an alternative to Linkman, LinkStash, etc.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 07:11 PM »
notekeeping-program-of-the-week

Very true  ;D

My links are all over the place, have Netscape, Opera bookmarks as html files going back 15 years plus. For a while I had all of them imported into LinkCollector (now defunct, was at www.portablebookmarkmanager.com)