topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screen overlay during capture (like Windows sniping tool)  (Read 5255 times)

ceebu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I searched the options and the forums and couldn't find an answer - so apologies if this has been answered already - Please feel free to redirect me to the answer.

I would like to have a screen overlay for screen capture - just like how windows Sniping tool does - this makes it easy (for some people) to narrow down on what you are capturing -
Does screenshot captor have this option already ? if not, is there a way to add it ? If not doable, is there a workaround (for eg use AHk to trigger a transparent overlay which clears up the region you select.
Note: this request is specifically for selected region screenshot.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screen overlay during capture (like Windows sniping tool)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 02:42 AM »
Have you tried the Region Capture feature (Grab selected Region, <Shft-PrtScr> hotkey by default) ?, that magnifies a region around the cursor for exact capturing.

OT: It is so darn useful I often use it to measure (pixel) misalignment between controls in applications I work on :-[

ceebu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 06:03 AM »
Yes, I regularly use that option - However, I am trying to get my wife to use SC but this (screen overlay) is the only thing standing between a successful convert and a non-liker  ;D ;D ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Can someone explain the difference between what you want and what SC does with the selected region capture feature?

hubi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 01:05 AM »
The Windows Snipping tool "overlays" the entire screen with a "shadow" (not sure how to describe it) and the selection you make is "clear" making it maybe a little more obvious what region is being selected.

IMHO what SSC does is fine and perfectly clear. However if the user is used to one method they may be resistant to change. SSC does so much more than the Snipping tool.

ceebu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 04:49 AM »
Have uploaded a video here - https://imgur.com/a/uzod3Yt

@ 3 seconds, you will see the overlay caused by using windows sniping tool.. @ 10 seconds, you can see the cross hairs created by the screenshot captor.

My request is to find if there is a way to have SSC display the overlay when capturing... This could be in addition to or a replacement of the current cross hair -

ceebu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 04:50 AM »
IMHO what SSC does is fine and perfectly clear. However if the user is used to one method they may be resistant to change.

Yup - this is exactly what I am trying to do :-)