topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Android App: Crave Negotiator - v1 - Feb 28, 2020  (Read 10879 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Android App: Crave Negotiator - v1 - Feb 28, 2020
« on: February 28, 2020, 03:31 AM »
"Crave Negotiator" is a bare bones minimalist application to help you resist impulse snacking.   It should run nicely on any screen size.

The Basic Idea: The app tries to get you to accept some small delays in succumbing to cravings for a snack, in hopes that you will be able to overcome a momentary weakness.

• When you push the button to trigger snack mode, you will then be prompted through a sequence (configurable number) of stages where you must wait a small amount of time (just a few minutes), after which you will need to affirmatively confirm that you wish to keep waiting for your snack time.
  • If at any point you fail to confirm a prompt, OR simply press the cancel button while waiting, the snack will be canceled.
  • Psychologically, the hope is that the countdown and small duration will give you the willpower to accept a very small delay in satisfying a craving for a snack.  And that with this brief window of waiting, the peak moment of intense craving will pass.

If anyone wants to try it:

It will eventually be on google play store.

Screenshot - 2_28_2020 , 3_26_11 AM_ver005.pngAndroid App: Crave Negotiator  - v1 - Feb 28, 2020
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:01 PM by mouser »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android App: Crave Negotiator
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 04:50 AM »
^ doesn't have to be just for snacking, could be cigarettes, anything really, I think. Will give it a go :up:
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android App: Crave Negotiator - v1 - Feb 28, 2020
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 03:38 PM »
I like it so far :Thmbsup:

Can I give an example of use other than just snacks:
I have this habit of diving into the internet when I get home after a late shift. I dont like it because I dont give myself time to come down after the work and the drive. Also this evening, being Friday I'm going to have a beer or two and a snack (but also dont want to rush into that).

Re the app:
I like the interface. I would like it to show notifications with time left, like a countdown timer (see below)-- not sure I'd want a sound when time is up, that would be sort of encouraging indulging then.

Screenshot_20200228-223152~2.pngAndroid App: Crave Negotiator  - v1 - Feb 28, 2020

EDIT// just in case: I'm not saying I would want it modified for other uses than planned.
Tom
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:45 PM by tomos »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 06:05 PM »
Glad to hear it might be useful.. I used it successfully today to avoid buying snacks while grocery shopping, but I suspect it won't be very useful in the long run -- the brain is pretty resilient and adaptive and it will find it's way around attempts to trick it :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 04:40 AM »
Glad to hear it might be useful.. I used it successfully today to avoid buying snacks while grocery shopping, but I suspect it won't be very useful in the long run -- the brain is pretty resilient and adaptive and it will find it's way around attempts to trick it :)
I found it helpful yesterday :up:
Yeah, we'll have to wait and see with the long run :-)
Tom