topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: UAC still requires permission...  (Read 10802 times)

Jakeman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
UAC still requires permission...
« on: July 10, 2017, 02:00 PM »
Hi Mouser,

Still running an older Gateway (GT5268E) with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz), Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and 6 GB of RAM, so even Firefox and Bitdefender can hog all the CPU at times, especially if Windows Update is running.  Thought that Process Tamer would be perfect in this situation, and so far it's been extremely helpful.

My problem, though, is that every time I start the pc I have to deal with the User Account Control popup no matter what I've tried to avoid it.  I did what your instructions said and elevated all the shortcuts to Admin rights, even going to the program files themselves and doing it there to the Tray, Config, and Update exes. 

I found that you'd added the 64-bit beta so I removed the other version and installed it, also raising all the property files to run as administrator. Restarted, but still get the popup, although it's a different color, probably signifying the 64-bit change in program.  Tried to change compatibility mode to Win 7 - no joy. Vista mode either.

What am I doing wrong, or not doing?  Very frustrating, and enough of a hindrance to uninstall the program altogether, or not have it start with Windows and just run it when needed.

Any help much appreciated!  Thanks.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: UAC still requires permission...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 02:31 PM »
Which shortcut are you altering?  The one in the startup folder on the start menu?  The others won't help if you're starting up the program at startup.

Jakeman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 05:13 PM »
Good question!  No, I hadn't changed that shortcut, but just now did - no effect.  Unchecked all the Run As compatibility boxes to where they were at installation, leaving all Run as Administrator boxes checked - also no effect. 

I do have the program installed on a different partition than my main drive (C) - could that be part of my issue?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 10:08 PM »
Regarding the hogging of the CPU:
When watching 1080p videos or listening to 320KBps MP3s, my old 2.6GHz Dual Core (4GByte RAM) clunker starts to act up. For no apparent reason I see with Process Explorer that all available computing resources are fully used up and video/audio starts to stutter. After I terminate  Foobar2000 or PotPlayer, about 60% (on average) of available resources are still being used, but now by the Windows Management Instrumentation service.

A little bit of Google research revealed that this service and the services that depend on the WMI service are actually started in the wrong order. So I created a little batch script that stops the WMI service (and dependent services and restarts these services. Sometimes I must execute it more than once, but afterwards I don't experience any stutter anymore.

So if your system is suddenly consuming a lot of computing resources, you could apply this trick instead. Although it sounds a bit silly, it works like a charm on my system and it might work on your system too.

Code: PowerShell [Select]
  1. NET STOP iphlpsvc
  2. NET STOP UALSVC
  3. NET STOP Winmgmt
  4. NET START Winmgmt
  5. NET START UALSVC
  6. NET START iphlpsvc

Those are the names of the services that need to restart in Windows 2012. While I don't think these service names are different in Windows 7, I wouldn't be surprised if they are.

Regarding the installation location:
Whether you install software on or off the C:\ partition, as long as Windows is able to access that location, Windows as a whole and that piece of software remains working just fine.

For years my systems contain at least 4 different partitions, the 1st is only for Windows itself, the 2nd is for the programs I install, the 3rd for the data I make and/or manage and the final one is just for temporary file storage. The rationale behind this strict separation is that I take a lot of work out of the hands of the NTFS file system this way. Now it only needs to taker care of finding the ideal positions of files on each partition and afterwards the content om partitions 1 and 2 will barely change.

The file system only needs to do a little content "house-keeping" on partition 3 and the temporary files on partition 4 can easily be discarded, so those files don't matter at all. This structure keeps systems lean and mean, even after years of operation. Many on this forum and real life think I am way too extreme with this divvying up, but I see only advantages. Besides consistent speed, it also makes backing up data much easier.

Anyway, Windows will work fine. You might encounter software that "expects" certain software to be in a certain location, but that is usually software written in a way that is not according to Microsoft's guidelines. Properly written software really doesn't care where it is installed.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 11:10 PM »
^ I don't think that answers the question at hand?  :huh:

Jakeman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:35 PM »
No, it didn't.  But it was informative, nonetheless, and something to try if I have to uninstall ProcessTamer and need to dampen the cpu drain - I think!

My drive also has several partitions and I didn't think having this program on my installations partition was the issue.  Getting confirmation of this was useful.  Yet now I'm still at a loss how to fix the issue of the UAC requiring permission every time I start or restart the computer.

I'm missing something here and I appreciate the help.  Thanks.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 12:02 AM »
I apologize if my previous post did not communicate my thought in the way I intended. There were some keywords in Jakeman's posts where I reacted upon.

Software that prevents applications from hogging the CPU can be seen as a medicine that fixes the symptom, but not necessarily the cause. Around 3 weeks ago, my system started to hog the CPU excessively and it appears that the WMI service is causing this. So if you can prevent such excessive hogging by simply restarting a few Windows services (which takes about 10 seconds on this Dual Core PC) then why not try it and see if that helps in getting back the performance you expect from your hardware.

What I find weird is that the WMI service starts to freak out after any application starts to demand (slightly) more than average amounts of computational resources. ProcessTamer, ProcessLasso and similar software can help, but in my mind it is better to get rid op the cause first, before you start fixing the symptoms.

So if there is no reason to start ProcessTamer, using whatever UAC setting or not, all the better.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 08:26 AM »
No, it didn't.  But it was informative, nonetheless, and something to try if I have to uninstall ProcessTamer and need to dampen the cpu drain - I think!

My drive also has several partitions and I didn't think having this program on my installations partition was the issue.  Getting confirmation of this was useful.  Yet now I'm still at a loss how to fix the issue of the UAC requiring permission every time I start or restart the computer.

I'm missing something here and I appreciate the help.  Thanks.

If you turn off UAC (if you feel comfortable doing that for a bit to test), does it start up fine?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 04:04 AM »
Have you tried using Task Scheduler to bypass the UAC prompts?

http://www.thewindow...-programs-bypass-uac

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 08:22 AM »

What does it say?  It wants me to unblock it, and I just don't trust sites these days.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 08:37 AM »

What does it say?  It wants me to unblock it, and I just don't trust sites these days.

the website? (no problem here reading it:)
If you wish, you can also create elevated shortcut for the program, that will allow you to bypass UAC Prompt and run the program without seeing the UAC Prompt in Windows. This is how you can do it.

Type Schedule Tasks in Start Search and hit Enter to open the Task Scheduler. Under Actions, click on Create Task. Follow this post on how to create a  task in Task Scheduler.

Under General tab, give the Task a name, say NoUAC1. Check Run with highest privileges.

Run programs without the UAC Prompt

Under the Action tab, click on the New button and browse to the folder location of the program executable file and select it. The Action should be Start a program.

bypass uac prompt

Under the Settings tab, ensure that Allow task to be run on demand is checked.

Create elevated Program Shortcut

Once all this is done, click on OK. A new Task will be created and you will be able to see it.
Create elevated Program Shortcut

Now you will have to create a shortcut that will run this task.

Right-click on the desktop > New > Shortcut. In the the Create Shortcut wizard, type:

schtasks /run /TN "NoUAC1"

Here NoUAC1 should be replaced with the name for the task that you have chosen. Click on Next and exit the wizard after it runs its course.
[..]
Now when you click this shortcut, you will be able to bypass the UAC Prompt.

EDIT// added link - do you need that one quoted too?
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 10:44 AM »
Nope. Thanks!  I don't unblock (whitelist in disconnect/turn off ublock) unless I trust the site, and its advertising stream, which is very few sites.  I'll pay for the site if you put it behind a paywall and it's consistently useful, but not trust their ads.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 11:50 AM »
The page also provided links to 2 applications to make the task of creating the shortcuts much easier. I tested them both and one of them doesn't work in Win10, and the other was discontinued by the developer, replaced by Winaero Tweaker, which does work well.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 11:57 AM »
The page also provided links to 2 applications to make the task of creating the shortcuts much easier. I tested them both and one of them doesn't work in Win10, and the other was discontinued by the developer, replaced by Winaero Tweaker, which does work well.  :)

Thanks!  Hopefully their disable reboot will work still.  My manual work around broke with some update, and this morning when I got up for a meeting, I was close to being late because it took a while to install their updates because it had restarted overnight.  I really want to stay on Windows.  But stuff like that tests my resolve.