topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Prevent screen lock  (Read 3115 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Prevent screen lock
« on: February 11, 2017, 06:27 AM »
Hello!

I am using a remote computer with very limited abilities due to strict administration and I want to prevent it from locking its screen.

Is there a way to do that?

I was thinking to open Internet Explorer and visit a website that will somehow do something periodically to prevent standby?

Or is there any other solution?

Thanks

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Prevent screen lock
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 08:11 AM »
What software are you using to access the remote machine?  Perhaps it has a "keep alive" function built in.  Otherwise you may be able to use something that sends a mouse movement and/or clicks some empty spot on the remote desktop.  I haven't used remote desktop type software but I am sure this issue comes up.  There is likely a simple solution.

Is there an online forum for the software you are using?  If so somebody there likely posted an elegant method if there is not a built-in command.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 09:24 AM »
You have tools that mimic mouse movements and/or key-presses to prevent the lock screen from appearing. 'Caffeine' is such a tool. To my knowledge it is freeware and doesn't require installation.

But be advised, remote connections can still be dropped if there is no activity for a certain amount of time. This 'certain amount of time' is configured by the admin that enabled the remote connection for you. It should be possible to ask this admin to give your user account more of this 'certain amount of time', if you need this. Don't expect too much though, idle remote connections are a possibly huge security breach, definitely a bandwidth drain and costly (license-wise) if you connect remotely to Windows Server 2008/2012/2016.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 06:37 PM »
The problem is that I cannot install any software! Even right click on desktop has been disabled!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Then don't copy it to the desktop?

Caffeine does not require installation, just copy it to a location where your user has write access and run it from there. Nothing more is necessary (for Caffeine to do its job, I mean).

Who is still using that method of doing things on the desktop? Next time you tell me that you use the trashcan to "store" and "retrieve" files too.
My dual monitor setup has only the trashcan icon on it, so you could call me prejudiced...

Besides all of the above, if your user account on the remote computer is so limited in what it is allowed to do, why would you even want to keep the remote connection open for longer than the allotted time?