topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CHS Settings hijacked by Windows 10 - External image editor deleted/replaced  (Read 4241 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
In the CHS settings, I had set ScreenshotCaptor as the External image editor (optional) for image clips, by putting C:\UTIL\Windows utilities\FindAndRunRobot\Plugins\ScreenshotCaptor\ScreenshotCaptor.exe into the field provided.
This had been working perfectly for several weeks/months - until today.

Today I wanted to edit an image clip in CHS, and when I selected the Launch image editor to edit clip, up popped a completely foreign image editor, and it was not immediately apparent what this editor was. On investigation it turned out that it was a new (to me) Win10 app - Windows Paint(!?)    >:(
I literally said to myself "How on earth did that get there?".    ;)

On checking the CHS settings, the field for the External image editor (optional) was now blank, so a Win10 update, or something, had presumably removed/hijacked this setting and forced the invisible default to the Windows Paint app.
So I reset it with C:\UTIL\Windows utilities\FindAndRunRobot\Plugins\ScreenshotCaptor\ScreenshotCaptor.exe and it now works fine, but presumably a Win10 update, or something, will hijack the settings again.

Question: How does one make this setting "sticky" and block a similar hijack from recurring?

To avoid this recurring, is it going to be necessary to (say) restore permanent CHS settings from a settings backup file first, each time CHS is started up?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
The Win10 update could not have cleared that field explicitly.
So that setting must have gotten cleared some other accidental way.
One possibility was that ALL of your settings have reverted to default -- perhaps because CHS did not find the settings file where it expected it or because a WIN10 update made the CHS settings file inaccessible?
When you exit CHS and restart, are your settings saved?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...When you exit CHS and restart, are your settings saved?
I tested that just before making the post. I put C:\UTIL\Windows utilities\FindAndRunRobot\Plugins\ScreenshotCaptor\ScreenshotCaptor.exe into the now empty External image editor (optional) field, shut down CHS and SC, then restarted CHS to check whether the External image editor (optional) field was still there (it was), and then edited an image clip to check that the link to SC was now working correctly (it was).

I think that what you surmise about how the settings got cleared might not be correct. I say this because, immediately above the External image editor (optional) field is the External Image Viewer (optional) field, where I had entered C:\UTIL\Multimedia\Image Utilities\IrfanView\i_view32.exe, and that was unchanged and continuing to work perfectly.

So something seems to have picked on the External image editor (optional) field as the thing to clear - and somehow the default was assigned to the Windows Paint app. I'd be interested in discovering how that happened.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:18 PM by IainB »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
I wonder if maybe what happened is CHS tried to use the external editor you had configured, and couldnt find the program there anymore, so reset it to blank.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
But the path has not been changed. As before, it is still C:\UTIL\Windows utilities\FindAndRunRobot\Plugins\ScreenshotCaptor\ScreenshotCaptor.exe

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Please note that I have edited my post at Re: CHS Settings hijacked by Windows 10 - External image editor deleted/replaced
So does that make any difference to what you were thinking?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:54 AM by IainB »