topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Where to watch soccer?  (Read 2687 times)

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Where to watch soccer?
« on: April 27, 2015, 05:12 PM »
My son, 6, is in soccer this spring. He's in a kindergarten league, and as you can imagine these kids don't really get it. They clump around the ball until one of them accidentally kicks it out of bounds. (Same as it was when I was in kindergarten, I'm sure.) I was thinking if we could watch some soccer games he would get a better (basic) idea of strategy, field position, rules, etc. without being to "teachy."   

But how to do this? I didn't see anything on Amazon/Netflix except things like "soccer drills." I think it would be neat to follow a team through a season, maybe. Wouldn't have to be pro, but should at least be High School or College level I'd think.

I also thought about board games - battleball has some soccer-like strategy, but it's more like NFL/American football. Just looking for something fun to get him thinking "outside the clump."

Eric

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Where to watch soccer?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 06:18 PM »
First let me make the disclaimer that I'm mostly uninterested in sports. That said, I'm the uncle of many soccer players of various ages whom I love and support by occasionally attending their soccer games.

Make sure your expectations are set appropriately for his age and level of development (physical, mental, etc.). At that age it's more about developing proper motor skills and coordination rather than having any kind of grand strategy--especially when you/he probably can't expect his other teammates to be properly trained in taking advantage of the teamwork required to make use of any kind of strategy. Be patient as he learns the basics by chasing the ball around and getting a lucky kick in every once in a while. The rest will come in time, given continued dedication to the sport.

But as for the videos--which I think are a great idea to feed his passion and keep his interest in the sport--you could probably try YouTube.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:53 PM »
especially when you/he probably can't expect his other teammates to be properly trained in taking advantage of the teamwork required to make use of any kind of strategy.
I know :) If he hung back ready to receive a pass, no one would pass to him, and if he decided to make a pass, there would be no one to pass to! In this league there is no scoring, no goal keeper, and the coaches play on the field with the kids. The ref is more of a rule-mentor--like "this is a corner kick."

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 05:46 AM »
No idea where to watch soccer in the States -
have seen some US soccer on Eurosport - the quality seems quite high :up:

Here in Europe, it's difficult to get to watch live soccer online legally - and the illegal sources usually aren't of great quality. And watching live is definitely the most exciting, especially if you're a supporter.

In Youtube search for something like "soccer matches full" will get you a share of matches. During the world cup, international games were taken down very quickly. Not sure how it is for league matches.
Tom