topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Loved  (Read 2950 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Loved
« on: April 11, 2015, 03:17 PM »
Take a fairly generic low-res platformer, couple it with some downright uncomfortable in-game dialog, and what do you get?

Can games carry the auteurist intent and interconnection of traditional cinema and writing? Can we tell stories through games that aren't disposable? That live on after you've stopped playing? This is a short story in the form of a platformer that answers these questions.
Loved contains content that some players may find disturbing.

Loved.  A short story by Alexander Ocias
http://ocias.com/loved.php

loved.png

RockPaperShotgun.com's Kieron Gillen says:
It’s got the sort of meaningful choices interlaced through it which Fallout fans are always crying out for, has a genuinely oppressive atmosphere and at least a couple of killer endings depending on which way you choose to go.

PopMatters.com's Kris Ligman says:
The catharsis that comes at the end doesn’t arrive within the game, but after you’ve completed it, which seems exactly like the designer’s intention. It might take you only five minutes to complete, but it will take hours to fully unpack.

JayIsGames' review Dora says:
I've seen people "explaining" the game to other players, and I'm not sure I think that's the right thing to do; after all, if I feel one way about something designed to provoke a personal reaction and you feel another, does that mean one of us really needs to be right in our interpretations? Which in turn raises another interesting question. Is art only successful if it explains itself to everyone?

NPR's Mindless Arcade Friday says:
Recommended, for people who like:
playing cerebral games, being verbally abused.

and here's an interview with the game's creator, Alexander Ocias:
http://www.gamasutra...er_Confrontation.php

Whatever the end purpose of the game, every once in a while I really like a game/book/movie that messes with your head, even negatively so.
Try it out, but don't blame me for any consequences...