topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: wierd mouse click problem  (Read 14581 times)

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
wierd mouse click problem
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:18 AM »
Lately when I click to close a window, sometimes it opens anything directly under it on Desktop, or sometimes opens something nearby.
My Logitech 500 laser wheel mouse mouse seems to work just fine otherwise.
My OS came up 'clean' after reg, antivirus, and PUP scans, so I don't know if it could be some weird virus.
I was running several mouse programs;
-Amoumain A4Tech,
-Logitech (forget the name; something about communicating with Logitech)
-Logitech Smooth Scrolling
-Volumouse
-Unknown auto-download of mouse driver when I originally plugged in the mouse
I uninstalled both Logitech programs, but problem persists.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: wierd mouse click problem
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 12:25 AM »
Sounds like a common problem I've experienced with Logitech mice. Eventually the clicker wears out and starts double-clicking occasionally when you only click once. Every Logitech mouse I've owned in the past 10-15 years has eventually experienced this issue. One mouse started exhibiting this kind of behavior after only a couple of weeks!

I'd love Logitech if their hardware didn't wear out in 1-3 years.  >:(

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 03:03 AM »
Over the years I also have experienced vague problems with Logitech mouses. Only with me the mouses last 4 to 5 years. The last one (G500) works and clicks fine...it just makes the system freeze for a second at irregular intervals. It's too bad because I really liked it as you can add or remove balance weights inside it.

Now I have a Sentey Apocalypse mouse and it has (much) higher precision, which I like a lot. But the lack of weight might become a problem.

Personally, I had better experience with functional survivability of Microsoft mouses (basic models), so if you are just looking for a basic mouse, I would suggest to get one of those. Feature-sets of Logitech mouses are often very, very tempting though.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 04:58 AM »
I also have had problems with Logitech mice, MX518 was great for 3 years or so then the scroll wheel died.  Logitech BT mouse now doesn't want to connect to anything and the LMB has become very flakey, (also about 3 years old).

Been using a Coolermaster Storm Sentinel Advance mouse and a Microsoft BT mouse the last two years or so with no problems, (apart from the matt non-slip paint on the Sentinel starting to peel).

Logitech keyboards are better than their mice, (G15 still works well).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 07:12 AM »
Sounds like a common problem I've experienced with Logitech mice. Eventually the clicker wears out and starts double-clicking occasionally when you only click once.

That was my first thought too, but I don't think it's just Logitech that is susceptible to this behavior. I've had several different brands of mice (granted mostly MS, but there were others), and all of them died the exact same - ^this - way. While I don't click that hard, or that fast...I can't help but think - given the history - that it just might be something that I'm doing.

AzureToad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Been using a Logitech M705 for nearly 3 years. 
My experiences have been similar, but not exactly the same.
I've always thought that a fresh set of batteries took care of my problems.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 10:25 AM »
Sounds like a common problem I've experienced with Logitech mice. Eventually the clicker wears out and starts double-clicking occasionally when you only click once.

That was my first thought too, but I don't think it's just Logitech that is susceptible to this behavior. I've had several different brands of mice (granted mostly MS, but there were others), and all of them died the exact same - ^this - way. While I don't click that hard, or that fast...I can't help but think - given the history - that it just might be something that I'm doing.

That's been my experience as well, and not just with Logitech mice. I suspect it has something to do with the fact I tend to lay my fingers across the button, even when I'm clicking, which is kind of the point of having an ergonomic mouse for me. It seems to put odd stress on both the plastic parts that make up the button on the outside and the mechanical part of the actual button inside.

It also may just be that I have a heavy finger.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 12:59 PM »
^wow. Score: 'the other brand' (various praises); Logitech 0%.
It's surprising how relieved I feel, knowing it's -only- (probably) my Logitech mouse, and (probably again) not my entire OS or box doing a Titanic or something.

I better also run a RAM check and see if there's any problem there (the 'fix' is to loosen and reseat the contacts; always works but rarely needed).
Tnx for the tips on alternate mice selections.  :Thmbsup: I may give one or another of those a shot.
Yes, the rubberized slip-check coating on my L-500 is getting crumbly or something too.

My A4Tech mouse looks like this but with only one wheel not two.
My A4Tech driver folder size is 271kb; Logitech's complete mouse + 'phone home' suite was something like 50 or 74MB.
My fav keyboard I'm writing this on is an ivory colored Compaq 286 key-click which is fairly silent and works flawlessly, because (remember me posting about this?) my Microsoft ergonomic black one the keys started sticking and even lube spray wouldn't fix it.
I do have a Logitech battery powered mouse identical to the 500 laser that appears to be croaking, but the way you have to wiggle it to make it 'wake up' before -every- mouse click operation drives me nuts.

I don't recall why I retired my A4Tech mini-mouse, but maybe I should drag it out and give it a spin.
I've got whole boxes of 'old stuff' that'll never see the light of day again. :)
But (tech dreaming) I just posted elsewhere how I keep wondering if the day may come that I can replace my tower with a $35 tablet (and get superior performance).

Yes, my Logitech mouse seems to 'click' crisply and cleanly in a purely mechanical/physical way, but on-screen it's giving weird results like a 'phantom' clicker or something, and also copy & paste problems as well now.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:24 PM by bit »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 01:08 PM »

That was my first thought too, but I don't think it's just Logitech that is susceptible to this behavior. I've had several different brands of mice (granted mostly MS, but there were others), and all of them died the exact same - ^this - way.

I figured it probably wasn't unique to Logitech, but they're the only brand I've used for the past 15 years or so. That is, until I bought my most recent replacement last year. Now I'm using a barebones $7 Amazon Basics mouse. I decided that if this one fails after a short amount of time, it will be much easier to replace than my $60 mouse I was using before.

That said, you can buy replacement parts and solder them into your mouse. If you're up for that kind of thing. :) You can buy a bundle of them for a few bucks on eBay.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:51 PM by Deozaan »

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 01:46 PM »
Atch!, my faithful A4Tech mouse works except for the wheel.
It's wheel doesn't tilt, and rolling it does nothing--anywhere.
RIP A4Tech. It's been good.

Coolermaster Storm Xornet has super nice understated black styling.
Amazon Basics is very affordable.

May have to break out the like-new Logitech 500-type wireless and put up with its 'sleep-mode' annoyance until I can order something.
No wheel input on the A4Tech is really not an option for me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:35 PM by bit »

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 02:08 PM »
Sentay Apocalypse is available and affordable (giving it a closer look).
Jeeze, 6 different styling-color options, but prices vary.
At this web page, this choice (drop down a paragraph where there are 6 sub-choices) is way cool for $38.99 but just not in my price range at this time.
Man, it's even got a nifty little weight package you can use the empty slots to store an emergency supply of Chiklets or Asperin tablets. :)
Shades I know what you mean about weight, b/c the A4Tech is so lightweight if you let go of it, the stiffness of the cord can make it shift position.

Okay, I'm using the Logitech 500-type wireless as a stop-gap.
The blame thing is still like new with great scrolling action.
We'll see if it's 'sleep mode' still annoys...so far no problems, makes me wonder why I ever retired it.
I'll have to break out a pair of rechargable AA batts & charger.
This will give me something to tide me over until I can line up one of the other ^suggestions. :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 01:31 PM by bit »

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 03:09 PM »
I'd be willing to bet it's more of a problem with ergonomic mice than any other kind. In fact, I'm not sure I've had the problem with anything else. While that narrows it down to Logitech mice for me, I've never seen it with any of the plain OEM Logitech units I've used - some for long periods of time.

After performing autopsies on a number of mice, mostly after fatal button problems, here's my hypothesis about why that is. The moving parts in a high end ergonomic mouse are not significantly higher quality than the ones on basic mice. In fact, in the case of the electronic moving parts like buttons, I'd say they're generally identical. However, the physics involved as significantly more stressful because of the distances and angles involved. That would explain why these physical problems primarily affect the main buttons, as well as more advanced features like tilting scroll wheels.
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 03:52 PM »
I'd be willing to bet it's more of a problem with ergonomic mice than any other kind. In fact, I'm not sure I've had the problem with anything else. While that narrows it down to Logitech mice for me, I've never seen it with any of the plain OEM Logitech units I've used - some for long periods of time.

After performing autopsies on a number of mice, mostly after fatal button problems, here's my hypothesis about why that is. The moving parts in a high end ergonomic mouse are not significantly higher quality than the ones on basic mice. In fact, in the case of the electronic moving parts like buttons, I'd say they're generally identical. However, the physics involved as significantly more stressful because of the distances and angles involved. That would explain why these physical problems primarily affect the main buttons, as well as more advanced features like tilting scroll wheels.
^That's quite possible.
Just a 10" drop upside-down onto thick carpet may also be enough to goof up Logitech pushbuttons (as from a tabby cat trying to play Sphinx and share the mouse pad with the Logitech).
BTW, I think the auto-load of mouse drivers for the Logitech wireless may have been updated to make its wake-sleep mode less of a time-lag and not so annoying, at least it seems so now.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 04:25 PM »
So far, the weird mouse click problem 'appears' to be solved with the switch to my alternate wireless like-new Logitech mouse.
For now, due to budget constraints, I can use it, keeping in mind its gliche-prone idiosyncrasies, and everyone's well-advised alternative brand mouse suggestions.
Many tnx!  :Thmbsup:

(edit): I realize we just finished determining that my old Logitech was problematic both as an individual unit and as a brand, and that Logitech mice are more fragile and damage-prone with generally shorter useful lifespans and TBOs (time before overhaul/discard).
But I do have this other practically new Logitech wireless, and its old 'wake-sleeping' delay seems to possibly have been alleviated by updated driver software.
So I'll use it for now, but plan on one of the above alternates for future reference next time around.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:32 PM by bit »

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 01:01 AM »
Atch! The phantom click problem persisted for a few moments on my last boot; may be a Logitech problem.
Other expenses preclude me getting a new mouse for now, but I'm thinking seriously about a non-Logitech future.

(edit): the phantom click problem is as bad as ever.
May have to do a HD backup restore of entire OS.
Will see if I can experiment with other mice first and isolate the problem.

(edit): In all fairness, this morning I ran a Memory Check and found errors.
Dislodged and reseated the RAM sticks and passed the Memory Check.
(I actually had to do this twice to pass successfully).

Downloaded and installed RevoUninstaller 30 day trial, found no sign of Logitech or Set Point, but did find Amoumain A4Tech mouse driver still active, which I uninstalled.
So far, no further problems with the Logitech wireless mouse phantom click problem.

(update):
Last night my fabulous like-new Logitech wireless mouse was fairly well-behaved, whereas today it is not doing copy & paste correctly, activating unselected programs when closing others, and generally acting almost unpredictable. >.<
It is rather like watching a pedigreed show dog come down with Distemper or Rabies.
Copy & paste works fine using the keyboard, which almost isolates the mouse.
I'm either going to have to get a new non-Logitech mouse, or do a HD backup restore, or actually I think I'll see if an old non-Logitech mouse does this or not first.
I vaguely recall problems starting about the time I installed Logitech Set Point software from a disk, which actually wasn't necessary in view of the plug & play already automatically doing whatever it was supposed to do.

edit: This is turning into more of a blog and isn't worth annoying DCers with a new post, but here goes:
The wireless Logitech mouse seems to be having radio connection problems and its cursor smoothness was getting downright jerky, and copy & paste highlighting action was 'spotty' and 'jumpy'.

I ran regedit and searched for anything named 'Logitech', and found a pair of folders named [Logitech_LDM_Control.LtAuth] that when Googled ID'd them as 'Logitech Desktop Messenger', and deleted them.

No improvement in the Logitech wireless mouse's erratic behavior.
Do you suppose it could be that SmartMeter they put in?

I replaced the wireless mouse with an older Logitech wired mouse, and discovered its laser wasn't tracking properly (which I recall now was why I quit using it before), so I gave it a nice hefty blast with some canned air right on the lens, and that seems to have given it back its crisp precise action, but time will tell.
Oh, and the replacement older wired Logitech's scroll wheel mysteriously works with Seamonkey now (and of course everywhere else).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:51 PM by bit »

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 03:34 PM »
I am sick of mouse problems. >.<
I went into the shop and made myself a mouse, which is proudly displayed here:
mouse.jpg
jk :)
To see the world's first mouse article please go here.
BTW, my old Logitech wired mouse seems to be working okay now, since I went into regedit and deleted the two 'LDM' folders.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 07:58 PM »
True ergonomics there  :P

Should have told you that I never use or have used the Logitech software that came with the mouse. Besides the base functionality of pointing and clicking I don't have or want specific functionality being added by the bloated crap that is Logitech software.

The only reason my last Logitech was a gaming mouse was because of its configurable weight. Anyway, my Logitech mouses still would act up and keep adding undesirable behavior until I had enough of it and bought a replacement. Perhaps that is the reason why my Logitech's lasted around 5 years, instead of the more common response from other forum members stating only a functional life-span of 1 to 3 years.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 08:46 PM »
I don't use the software either, but I've got 3 kids who use my computer on a regular basis. That's bound to at least cut any device's lifespan in half.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 12:02 PM »
@Deozann

Thanks for your $7 Amazon Basics Mouse link.  More expensive isn't always better.   :)

I have had this 'background' clicking issue as well.  With Logitech and Microsoft mice.  But have not seen it since switching to an onn - $8 Walmart-special.

zenzai

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 11:42 AM »
Check the LogiTech forums, it's been discussed there for a long time, and people have come up with different fixes. Some may work, some may not.