topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2015 Pledge: apng2gif and webp2gif  (Read 5834 times)

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2015 Pledge: apng2gif and webp2gif
« on: December 18, 2014, 02:03 AM »
Hi all,

The web-designers among you already know that using an animated asset in your web page design is a pain. We have GIF (supported by all browsers, but limited to 256 colors and 1bit transparency), animated PNG (supported by Firefox) and animated WebP (supported by Chrome).

If you actually want to have an animation with semi-transparency (smooth edges, something appearing or smoothly changing from one thing to another thing, ...) on your web page, you have a big problem. You have to serve different files to each browser.

Earlier this year, I made some command line tools for batch-converting gifs to animated pngs and webps and now I am thinking the opposite direction may actually be more useful. The scenario I am imagining is this:
* you create your animations in WebP or animated PNG using full colors and smooth transparency
* you run a command that coverts all WebP or PNG files to GIFs and places them into the same folders <- that would be the NANY
* you use browser-specific CSS hacks (or PHP) to serve the right files for the user's browser
* profit (max. quality of your design for as many people as possible)

So, what do you think, is it worth doing? Would you use it?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2015 Pledge: apng2gif and webp2gif
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:00 AM »
i don't have an opinion on this but i just wanted to say it brings me happiness to hear from you.  :Thmbsup:

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2015 Pledge: apng2gif and webp2gif
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 03:37 AM »
Thanks. I have been a bit distracted during the last year and did not have that much time and missed the last NANY. I hope things will bet better now.