topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox Developer Edition  (Read 7521 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox Developer Edition
« on: November 10, 2014, 04:36 PM »
Anyone had a chance to use this "for real" yet?

I just got a copy just to see what it's like, though I'm massively unqualified to use the actual tools!

However, it DOES change the UI - Aurora is gone!
:Thmbsup:

It's back to some kind of one of the older square layouts, and yes, all the menus are back on top where they belong - none of this "let's hide everything under one button" junk!

I did have to put back in Classic Theme Restorer to fix some minor prefs of mine.
- Menu, Nav Toolbar, Tabs, in that order.
- I like the full quad of back, forward, stop, and reload buttons in that order on the left side. (Their original reload button is jammed way on the right of the address bar and I can't easily get rid of it, so I might have two reload buttons now. Who cares, that's nothing.)
- View/Toolbars/Customize is stripped pretty badly in the native version of most new Firefoxes, so CTR adds back a bunch of stuff you might have used. That's where I got those other buttons from - they weren't there to begin with in Customize.
- At some point a "Forget" button showed up in Customize, and I think it's from CTR, which should be interesting to try. For ex, when I get done with a LD marathon and I have 8 browser windows and 9 tabs each, my particular comp seems to make a big deal out of closing tabs ... it lags pretty badly for obscure reasons. So sometimes I go to Win Task Mgr, and just nuke the process... but on the days I was viewing 25 Youtube clips, sometimes the browser tries to "remember it all" and load them all back in at once. So "Forget" could be neat just to nuke all that stuff away, and then go back to more Ludum games er... real work!
:D
- The usual tiny tweaks such as colors and spacing that CTR is known for.

So I always like to have "multi clones" of Firefox, it's actually a different process, so when I've got 25 Youtube clips open and Flash crashes, and I want to restart, at least I won't lose other open things such as email.

Edit:
Now that I have a "third" clone of FF, I might even make it Email-Only, whereupon it leaves me two clones to "do rec things with", and then email can be sitting on another tab in my virtual desktop splitter, and still be open even if I close the other two. I'll think about that.

Edit:
Looks like the Forget button was a new feature only just rolled out in "reg FF 33", but Dev Edition seems to be 35.0a2 from the Aurora channel.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:28 PM by TaoPhoenix »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Developer Edition
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:18 AM »
I used to use a portable version of Firefox, loaded up with nothing but dev tools, till the Aurora crap showed up. Then I replaced it with a portable Pale Moon, with the same dev tools.

I might use this Developer Edition, if/when it's available in a portable version, since there are some differences between how Pale Moon and the latest Firefox renders pages.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 05:36 AM »
I used to use a portable version of Firefox, loaded up with nothing but dev tools, till the Aurora crap showed up. Then I replaced it with a portable Pale Moon, with the same dev tools.

I might use this Developer Edition, if/when it's available in a portable version, since there are some differences between how Pale Moon and the latest Firefox renders pages.

Check their pages - I don't know the release lag between reg and portable versions. Just to be fast to get some topics going, I downloaded the simple main release, but on their full page of versions somewhere they might already have the portable version. (Will that have ad-sponsor tiles even in Portable!? I don't know, the ramifications of all this start to get beyond me depending how they "push" ads into tiles.)

I do know this ... Web 2.5 (with the solidification of the big gun social media services) banked (unfortunately correctly) that "mass users are uneducated about a lot of tech". But we might also have a case of "In the Marketing Department, did the VP of Revenue get into a fight with the VP of Tech Development?" Because to release a *developer* version right on top of 'Look, they forgot to branch the codebase', developers are *the* smartest part of the browser user codebase. So then to simultaneously infest the "super-user" version of Firefox with the ad-tiles ... sounds like a fight that isn't going to end well!

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 06:29 AM »
I wish they'd return to providing a fully modular Firefox where Web Developer stuff is entirely optional and provided as an add-on.

Annoying that Firefox tries to be the one-for-all browser these days.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 04:20 PM »

Mozilla Firefox Developer Edition, Portable 35.0a2 (web browser) Released

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 09:09 PM »
OMG, how do I disable these crazy ugly skins and make it use my OS colors? I can't read the button captions. Black on black is impossible!

(my temporary solution till I can figure out how to disable themes  :()
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:25 AM by app103 »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 04:31 AM »
OMG, how do I disable these crazy ugly skins and make it use my OS colors? I can't read the button captions. Black on black is impossible!

(my temporary solution till I can figure out how to disable themes  :()

I saw some of that too - I used Classic Theme Restorer to tweak back some of the colors. But same criticism.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 10:54 PM »
This is what I am seeing with the default theme (the only theme that allows an add-on that colors tabs, to work):

Screenshot - 11_12_2014 , 10_31_13 PM.pngFirefox Developer Edition

And this is how it should look, when not skinned (Pale Moon):

Screenshot - 11_12_2014 , 11_31_53 PM.pngFirefox Developer Edition

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Stupid question but .... clicked the gear icon?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 01:23 AM »
Looks fine to me:

FF Dev Edition Toolbar.png

You can also Revert the Developer Edition theme:

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 04:21 AM »
Yeah, I tried that. I tried just about everything obvious that is accessible with a setting.

I have had to resort to using DOM Inspector and Stylish, and changing one CSS property at a time. Also doing some other tweaks, while I am at it. :)