topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for iTunes alternative (WMP? or other?)  (Read 5730 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for iTunes alternative (WMP? or other?)
« on: January 26, 2014, 03:28 PM »
Summary:
what's WMP like as an iTunes replacement, for someone who isnt overly fussy -- but likes ease of use?

~~~~
Looking for a friend of mine - who is a long time computer user but, eh, doesnt tweak things (why I'm asking, and not her).
Disillusioned with iPod hardware and iTunes DRM, she's looking for an alternative. (Only allowed one more hardware transfer of music bought through iTunes - she's burned this music to cd.)

I used use JRiver Media Jukebox on windows xp - liked that a lot - nice user friendly interface. But it doesnt seem to have been updated since then. It's fueled by advertising which might not be so bad, the lack of updates would bother me more. The paid version is overkill.

Wondering what people think of WMP?
I've used it about twice in my life and both times it started chewing my hd and hogging cpu afterwards, which I found offensive. But I guess that if I actually used it and allowed it to import my music (or whatever it does), it might not be so bad after. Any experiences there?

If the WMP verdict is unfavourable, I'll probably go with Music Bee as recommended as techsupportalert
http://www.techsuppo...Selection_Guide_Full
Have installed it, requires a bit of initial tweaking (lame codec; manually setting My Music folder for ripped music). Seems good :up:
Tom

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for iTunes alternative (WMP? or other?)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 06:11 PM »
I came in here prepared to recommend Music Bee. Looks like you've got it all under control.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:59 AM »
Does she use a portable (laptop) or a stationary (desktop)? My advice would not suite the portable solution.

I have moved the extensive (100k+ tracks) music collection out of the system folder, and over to an external 2TB USB "F" drive. In the "C" drive's Music system folder I only have the approx 650 tracks that are on my favourite play lists, and this is then all WMP will scan. That is impossible to detect; no freezing what so ever.

I have amplified WMP with (freeware) Windows Media Player Plus! (last updated May 19, 2013) because of the useful features it will add: http://bmproductions....fixnum.org/wmpplus/ But if she never modifies her setup, this might not be for her, as we know Windows' default reaction always is to blame the extras, eh... extensions, if a problem has occurred.

When the job not is big, I think WMP is the better solution.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 07:41 AM by Curt »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:02 AM »
+1 for Music Bee in case a full-featured audio center is what's needed. (Personally, I use AIMP3 which has a simpler but different user interface.)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:35 AM »
What with having a largeish music collection, I think I'll recommend Music Bee - will probably mean I'll have to talk through adding codec for ripping, but once setup it seems easy to use :up:

Thanks people!
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:11 AM »
As an alternative to music bee there is mediamonkey.  I've been making use of it with no problems for a while.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 11:56 AM »
As an alternative to music bee there is mediamonkey.  I've been making use of it with no problems for a while.

thanks wraith,
it got a mixed review at that techsupportalert page linked above - I cant link directly to the review - I'll chance copying most of it here:

Right from installation, my immediate impression of MediaMonkey is that it is not a monkey, at all, but a 1000 lb. gorilla. Just like another well-known media player that will remain nameless, it wants flex its muscles all over your computer and be your be all-do all media player. It instantaneously began searching my hard drives for media files, without my permission, while registering itself as the player of record making it necessary to go through my files and reset their associations so that all would be well once I uninstalled this beast. With all that off my chest, let's get on to the features as there are many.

First and most important MediaMonkey can organize music and edit tags in your audio library with a potent and insightful interface. It will rip and burn cd's. Its audio converter can convert MP3s, OGG, FLAC and WMA files into other formats. It will download and show album art. For those who want to play DJ for your church group or social organization, there is a Party Mode which lock down your media files while still allowing requests. Last of all, but most important some, is MediaMonkey's ability to synchronize with iPods and other MP3 players. There are more features, but they are too numerous to mention here.
[...]
I have no idea how they managed to fit all this functionality into 34.2 MB, but as far as I'm concerned MediaMonkey is just bit too over the top and is far more than I or the average music fan needs and far more than the novice can handle. If I were a professional DJ, then all bets would be off.

It does sound impressive after the initial complaints. BTW are you using the paid or free version?
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Paid- I purchased the lifetime gold version.  Not sure if things have changed since the review, but it asked me before it did any of what the reviewer describes.  It doesn't ask me on subsequent startups as it refreshes what is available and what is not.  But on install, it did ask, and even asked for what paths I wanted to include.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 01:54 PM »
Thanks wraith,
will try it out for myself anyways :up:
Tom