topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feds asked to avoid DEF CON this year  (Read 5756 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feds asked to avoid DEF CON this year
« on: July 16, 2013, 05:14 PM »
Jeff Moss (aka “The Dark Tangent”), founder and director of the Black Hat conference and DEF CON, has officially announced that employees of US federal agencies should keep away from this year's edition of DEF CON, which is scheduled for the beginning of August.

"For over two decades DEF CON has been an open nexus of hacker culture, a place where seasoned pros, hackers, academics, and feds can meet, share ideas and party on neutral territory. Our community operates in the spirit of openness, verified trust, and mutual respect," he wrote in a statement titled "Feds, we need some time apart."

"When it comes to sharing and socializing with feds, recent revelations have made many in the community uncomfortable about this relationship. Therefore, I think it would be best for everyone involved if the feds call a "time-out" and not attend DEF CON this year. This will give everybody time to think about how we got here, and what comes next," he concluded.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feds asked to avoid DEF CON this year
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:47 PM »
Good for him, the feds need a good kick in the face. I think it would be funny as hell watching the fat stupid bureaucratic world dictator wanabe idiots try to run all their spooky-rific equipment after the talent pulled out.

Kinda brings the phrase Monkey-with-a-coconut to mind.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Oh well. Guess the Feds will just have to go back to the old days of showing up and trying to pass themselves off as civilians. The FBI has always tried to put undercover people in there along with their official attendees so it won't be anything new for DefCon.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 10:24 PM »
Eh, I suppose what strikes me is that the 'Feds' like the government as a Book told me, is made up of people.  Some good, and some bad.  Some working against, and some working for.

I've always hated that whole cloth approach.  Especially since the directive is most likely to keep out only the good.  As you said, the bad have been coming anyway.  It will just spark up games of 'Spot the Fed' again...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:47 PM »
Oh well. Guess the Feds will just have to go back to the old days of showing up and trying to pass themselves off as civilians. The FBI has always tried to put undercover people in there along with their official attendees so it won't be anything new for DefCon.

You MUST see this:

http://www.youtube.c...;v=ryD5lqRM-Tw#t=34s

Watch for about 1 minute or so. ;) :D It's all cued up to the right point.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:07 AM »
OR... you could just show up as yourself and get the freekin' party started:

http://www.h-online....ference-1917800.html
General Keith Alexander, the Director of the US National Security Agency (NSA) and Commander of the United States Cyber Command, is to be a keynote speaker at this year's Black Hat conference.
* Edvard gets some popcorn and a lawn chair

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42 PM »
OR... you could just show up as yourself and get the freekin' party started:

http://www.h-online....ference-1917800.html
General Keith Alexander, the Director of the US National Security Agency (NSA) and Commander of the United States Cyber Command, is to be a keynote speaker at this year's Black Hat conference.
* Edvard gets some popcorn and a lawn chair

I was just about to post about that. Just moments ago I got this in a newsletter from Black Hat USA, along with a $200 off discount code in case I want to bring my popcorn and see it live:

On July 31, Black Hat USA will welcome General Keith B. Alexander to the stage. His keynote will give attendees an unmatched insider's look into the U.S. Cyber Command and the inner workings of cyber strategy. It would also be fair to expect some discussion of another of his roles—Director of the NSA.