topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The Rant Thread!  (Read 32252 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Rant Thread!
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:07 PM »
Got a rant about ANYTHING?  Post it here!

This shall be where things you wanna bitch about, will live! :D

Mouser will probably move this to the basement...and if so...we shall have a new addition to this thread...from me...ranting about it being moved!  ;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Rant Thread!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 11:54 PM »
The rants go marching two by two, hurrah!

Do only paid members get to see the basement?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 09:06 AM »
Well, I'd like to keep some of my rants in the Basement. Like this one:

https://www.donation....msg311605#msg311605

But I do have a minor rant about backups here:

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=33406.0

Who would have thought that you'd need to make backups of your backups in order to use your backups?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:29 PM »
OK, what do you think about radical red reveler Russians killing your puppies?

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:57 PM »
Damn!  This would be started when I don't have any rant(s) conveniently available  :P :P.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Damn!  This would be started when I don't have any rant(s) conveniently available  :P :P.

That in itself is a topic to rant about~! ;D

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 09:09 PM »

That in itself is a topic to rant about~! ;D

Hm-m-m-m ... I thought I just did  :P.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 03:46 AM »
Can anyone explain why it is that yellow colored pencils always seem to come out of the pencil sharpener with a broken point? They could be a brand new pack of pencils and that yellow one will always have issues, always end up all stubby, and you pretty much only get to use it twice.

I think it's a conspiracy in the pencil industry. They have all collaborated and come up with a scheme to make people buy more packs of colored pencils. And by all of them agreeing on making the same color inferior to the rest, they trap the consumer. There is no way out. You can't buy a pack of one brand and a pack of another to get a full, good quality set. That yellow one will always be the bane of your existence. You will end up with shoe boxes full of every color of every brand, but yellow.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 06:49 PM »
Can anyone explain why it is that yellow colored pencils always seem to come out of the pencil sharpener with a broken point? They could be a brand new pack of pencils and that yellow one will always have issues, always end up all stubby, and you pretty much only get to use it twice.

I think it's a conspiracy in the pencil industry. They have all collaborated and come up with a scheme to make people buy more packs of colored pencils. And by all of them agreeing on making the same color inferior to the rest, they trap the consumer. There is no way out. You can't buy a pack of one brand and a pack of another to get a full, good quality set. That yellow one will always be the bane of your existence. You will end up with shoe boxes full of every color of every brand, but yellow.
  And why does all the pencils have all that pencil and just a little eraser?  Shouldn't the eraser be at least 1/4 the size of the entire pencil?  lol  At least for us that make a lot of writing mistakes.  My handwriting is horrible, but I can type like there's no tomorrow.  hehehe

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 07:01 PM »

And why does all the pencils have all that pencil and just a little eraser?  Shouldn't the eraser be at least 1/4 the size of the entire pencil?  lol  At least for us that make a lot of writing mistakes.  My handwriting is horrible, but I can type like there's no tomorrow.  hehehe

Because it's an Upsell method for you to get that $1.57 big eraser!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 01:05 AM »

I had some really horrible handwriting when I was a kid. If you waited any longer than 3 days, even I wouldn't be able to figure out what I wrote.  :-[

My dad decided to give me a little help...a giant eraser, which I got in trouble for when I brought it to school.

mistakes-eraser.jpg

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 04:42 AM »

My dad decided to give me a little help...a giant eraser, which I got in trouble for when I brought it to school.
 (see attachment in previous post)

"Terrorist Prosecution begins when you are young" - modified Ferengi Proverb.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 08:28 PM »
I had some really horrible handwriting when I was a kid. If you waited any longer than 3 days, even I wouldn't be able to figure out what I wrote.  :-[

LOL.  I used to have one like that, but I flat wore it out.  hehehe

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 12:25 AM »
Generic Universal Non Purpose Rant. To reset the thread. All similarities to GURPS implied. GUNPR. Way less sexy.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 01:36 PM »

China forces EVERY internet user to register their real name in new free speech crackdown
http://www.dailymail...peech-crackdown.html

This is turning a corner in my opinion. I know large parts of corporate america would like this too, "to keep everyone safe blah blah " (and monetize us!) They just can't quite pull it off that fast yet - they would have to do it in steps.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 04:09 PM »
they would have to do it in steps

Which is happening, methinks.  How many software download registrations do you see that require a physical address, as well as your full name, when neither is required for the operation of the software  :mad:?  And if they have your physical address, they are ninety-five percent on the way to having your true name right now.  All it needs is a bit of research, and a small bit at that. (And I have the spam to prove it  :P.)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 11:24 PM »
Grrr, argh! I'm angry! Everything is great an I have nothing to rant about! Grrr, argh! :P

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 11:56 PM »
Grrr, argh! I'm angry! Everything is great an I have nothing to rant about! Grrr, argh! :P

Oh?  I thought you just did  :-\?!?

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 11:58 PM »

Oh?  I thought you just did  :-\?!?

Or are you grousing about not having a creative rant  :P?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 11:47 AM »

Okay here's one.

I like Advanced Search because if I want to look up Red Hats I don't want 1,966,354 results about Red Houses and Top Hats.

But sometimes it's astounding what slips through the great morass of results. First, a negative-shout to the semi-automated junk content sites. I got a whim, and decided I want to find the shortest piece of US legislation ever passed. Maybe it's like 3 sentences making something a national flower.

So some site called ChaCha (the name already tells you it's like 9th tier quality). Question: "What was the shortest bill in history?" Answer: "The recent health care was the longest bill ever passed."

REALLY??!

So then I went to Advanced Search on both Yahoo and Google. "shortest US bill".
No Results.

REALLY??!

If I had gratuitous funding to do that kind of thing all day, I'd make a site consisting of phrases that produced no results, and then being the only page. But ever notice it's never 1 page? It seems to go from "no results" to about 100 in a flash.

P.S. I should do a page, to test the theory. So as of this moment, not sure if these links will stay put, but let's mark this point in time:
http://search.yahoo....-orig-top&norw=1
Yahoo's copy:
We did not find results for: +"shortest US bill". Try the suggestions below or type a new query above.

http://www.google.co...type=&as_rights=
Google's Copy:
Information No results found for "shortest US bill".
Stay tuned when I quit being lazy and make a site to test this stuff. And PS. it's pretty easy to bust them on some of the more NSFW stuff too.

Yay Rants!

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 02:00 PM »
Okay here's one.

I like Advanced Search because if I want to look up Red Hats I don't want 1,966,354 results about Red Houses and Top Hats.

But sometimes it's astounding what slips through the great morass of results. First, a negative-shout to the semi-automated junk content sites. I got a whim, and decided I want to find the shortest piece of US legislation ever passed. Maybe it's like 3 sentences making something a national flower.

So some site called ChaCha (the name already tells you it's like 9th tier quality). Question: "What was the shortest bill in history?" Answer: "The recent health care was the longest bill ever passed."

REALLY??!

No Results.

REALLY??!

If I had gratuitous funding to do that kind of thing all day, I'd make a site consisting of phrases that produced no results, and then being the only page. But ever notice it's never 1 page? It seems to go from "no results" to about 100 in a flash.

P.S. I should do a page, to test the theory. So as of this moment, not sure if these links will stay put, but let's mark this point in time:
http://search.yahoo....-orig-top&norw=1
Yahoo's copy:
We did not find results for: +"shortest US bill". Try the suggestions below or type a new query above.

http://www.google.co...type=&as_rights=
Google's Copy:
Information No results found for "shortest US bill".
Stay tuned when I quit being lazy and make a site to test this stuff. And PS. it's pretty easy to bust them on some of the more NSFW stuff too.

Yay Rants!

Well...they now have results :P

googres.png

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 07:19 PM »
shortest piece of US legislation ever passed. Maybe it's like 3 sentences making something a national flower.

REALLY??!

It pisses me off when the first couple of pages of your search is ranked on whether they're paying members or not, even when it don't have anything to do with your search....

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 07:27 PM »

Well...they now have results :P

Ha! That might be a cool way to promote some site, either here or maybe one I do!

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 09:49 AM »

Another Copyright Rant:
http://www.mcgarrsol...-to-destroy-the-web/
aka Irish Newspapers decided linking to a story was copyright infringement and wanted €300 (I had to copy and paste that symbol!) for a single link.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 03:09 PM »
Well this is kind of trivial, but it really grates:

TV ads that involve banjo music, or whistling. There's some ad agency out there that believes "family-ish" ads must be scored with one or the other.