topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: create local webpage for archiving and organizing data  (Read 5605 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
create local webpage for archiving and organizing data
« on: November 14, 2012, 01:50 AM »
hello!

realizing how powerful webpages can be nowadays, where for example you can create an astonishing webpage in pure javascript, I start thinking of creating a 'website' to host my data, that will be only running localy without any server and stuff, instead of organizing my data to a bunch of MS Word files

all i need is:
1) a WYSIWYG editor to create rich text in the webpages like http://ckeditor.com/
2) a chart designer to create dynamic charts like www.diagram.ly or www.diagramo.com
3) a method to organize data in treeview www.jstree.com or www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/treeview/index.htm
etc

my question is, in which platform do i make all these to work?

thanks!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:28 AM by kalos »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: create local webpage for archiving and organizing data
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 06:01 AM »
I can't speak for platforms but I've been wondering if anyone here has experience with this software: http://www.lianja.co...ets-in-visual-FoxPro

It's not a site creator though from the sound of it.

Just throwing out impressions from a non-coder perspective:
  • syntax/mark-up self interpreter appears to be the new WYSIWYG backed up by a button for a help file (think writemonkey/workflowy.com)
  • I'm still impressed by how the software Knowsy Notes can elegantly create tables using the | symbol. Can't find many apps that can do that while also insta-create text/.csv files
  • Scrivener and Lyx uses corkboards and while not diagrams, have very powerful tweaks to personal wiki clicking
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:07 AM by Paul Keith »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:51 AM »
I'll mention the Tree class of note organizer apps, just for a discussion point. You start in your tree, and type to your heart's content. The one I use lets you make new nodes with key commands, and when you are done the whole thing exports into a tree based web page. Later you can add/update your nodes, then push out the whole site again.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer about the diagrams, but it covers the other two cases well enough for me.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:10 AM »
all i need is:
1) a WYSIWYG editor to create rich text in the webpages
2) a chart designer to create dynamic charts like www.diagram.ly or www.diagramo.com
3) a method to organize data in treeview www.jstree.com or www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/treeview/index.htm
etc

WhizFolders (as a tree-based notes organiser with rich text and wiki capability) + VUE for concept-mapping/flowcharts.

Mindsystems Amode v.2 has a tree, and each node has its own rich text note editor and concept mapper, among other things. Nodes can also be linked to each other in multiple ways.

Or if you don't mind using mark-up, you could go with an actual desktop/personal wiki like ConnectedText + VUE.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:43 AM »
Dr., these solutions are acceptable, but can they replace a javascript enabled platform?
where for example you can have a popup appearing when you put the cursor over a term?

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Dr., these solutions are acceptable, but can they replace a javascript enabled platform?
where for example you can have a popup appearing when you put the cursor over a term?

Sorry, I think I don't fully understand your requirements then (I don't know much about programming, I'm a very end-user type guy).

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:58 PM »
I think what kalos is looking for is a PIM that acts like a webpage but is in reality a notetaker with TreeSheets support.

Say a Tiddlywiki with a specific tooltip or a variation of Knowsy Notes where instead of Knowsy Notes just clicking and opening a text note in a single editor, it's an MDI that can be clicked to set to a new window.

ConnectedText + Vue would be very close but they don't necessarily need a software that can mimic a wiki webpage but a software that can mimic another version of a webpage (designed with the intention of it not being a wiki) but as a desktop app/local webpage.

Might still want to check out ConnectedText kalos. It might not be a local webpage but it might be good enough.  A reverse of the wiki process is Scrivener. You can try it's step by step tutorial. It's more of a novel writing word processor but what it does is that it uses the corkboard as a personal wiki so you don't get a pop-up (except tooltip) but you get an inspector sidebar for your text synopsis that can have pictures too where you normally need a full blown diagram Mindmap in certain programs like ConnectedText.

If you're going full HTML, there are outliners boasting these types of in-built HTML Editors but they are nowhere close to an archiver or organizer of local webpages: http://www.foliaro.com/screenshots.html

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:42 AM »
you could install Google Drive on your pc :
http://support.googl...n&answer=2375078

you might be interested in some program to create/organize notes like
CintaNotes,  KeepNote or RedNotebook
you can find all these apps at
http://portableapps.com/apps/office

DerekHal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Tiddlywiki is an interest concept you should checkout, even if it doesn't comply to all your demands. There a long list of fantastic Tiddlywiki plugins at the Tiddlytools website. There seems to be a tree list view plugin called RelatedTiddlersPlugin.

Another good source is Tiddlyvault.

If you want to check out the many differents adaptions - have a look at the list at wikimatrix.org.

Edit:
I did a quick googling for "tiddlywiki tree list plugin or macro" and found a plugin called "TagsTreePlugin"

Other basic Tiddlywiki sites: http://tiddlyspot.com/ and http://tiddlywiki.org/.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:22 PM by DerekHal »