topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 - Mini-Review  (Read 65889 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 - Mini-Review
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 08:15 AM »
a small update: after further usage, i ditched the LGS driver-software totally and have gone with a custom AHK script to make use of the G1-G3 keys. the volume rocker and mute button worked out of the box so no problems there. the mic quality was quite pleasant, clear with no static, tried on both Mumble and Teamspeak 3.

Why did you ditch the software?  Just curious...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 08:34 AM »
Why did you ditch the software?  Just curious...

there was nothing wrong with the software. I am just more comfortable with default features and the enhanceability that Autohotkey provides. I also have a Logitech K800 keyboard, whose Fn keys are configurable via AHK without the need for Setpoint software.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 09:23 PM »
Why did you ditch the software?  Just curious...

there was nothing wrong with the software. I am just more comfortable with default features and the enhanceability that Autohotkey provides. I also have a Logitech K800 keyboard, whose Fn keys are configurable via AHK without the need for Setpoint software.

That's really interesting. I presume you're quite satisfied with the result, so far? Any niggles?

Could we have a copy of the AHK code you used for that, please? I'd like to learn from it.
Not sure whether I'd use it though, unless it defeated the Logitech software for the same functionality.
As I said above, "One of the things I need is the control panel display for the headphones". Your approach presumably means you don't/can't use the control panel display (which includes mixer, testing, voice simulation control and battery meter). Do you use something else instead?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 09:33 AM »
That's really interesting. I presume you're quite satisfied with the result, so far? Any niggles?

Could we have a copy of the AHK code you used for that, please? I'd like to learn from it.
Not sure whether I'd use it though, unless it defeated the Logitech software for the same functionality.
As I said above, "One of the things I need is the control panel display for the headphones". Your approach presumably means you don't/can't use the control panel display (which includes mixer, testing, voice simulation control and battery meter). Do you use something else instead?

I didn't find myself using the control panel display that much to warrant the additional software even though they were nice to have.

the AHK code requires some testing on your side as explained here and you should get something like this:
Key history
VK  SC   Type   Up/Dn   Elapsed   Key      Window
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B0  119   a   d   7.25   Media_Next        
B0  119   a   u   0.25   Media_Next        
B3  122   a   d   1.33   Media_Play_Pause   
B3  122   a   u   0.34   Media_Play_Pause   
B1  110   a   d   1.04   Media_Prev        
B1  110   a   u   0.26   Media_Prev        
74  03F       d   5.09   F5                
Press [F5] to refresh.

that is for the keys G1-G3, so the code is as follows:

AHK code
Code: Autohotkey [Select]
  2. SC119:: ;Media_Next            
  3. ToolTip, %A_ThisHotkey% pressed (Media_Next).
  4. Send, {Media_Next}
  5. SetTimer, RemoveToolTip, 5000
  6. Return
  8. SC122:: ;Media_Play_Pause      
  9. ToolTip, %A_ThisHotkey% pressed (Media_Play_Pause).
  10. Send, {Media_Play_Pause}
  11. SetTimer, RemoveToolTip, 5000
  12. Return
  14. SC110:: ;Media_Prev            
  15. ToolTip, %A_ThisHotkey% pressed (Media_Prev).
  16. Send, {Media_Prev}
  17. SetTimer, RemoveToolTip, 5000
  18. Return
  20. RemoveToolTip:
  21. SetTimer, RemoveToolTip, Off
  22. Return

as I mentioned elsewhere, the mute button and volume rocker works out of the box. another thing to note is that on my PC, the AHK code doesn't work if Logitech's software is running.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 12:18 PM »
another thing to note is that on my PC, the AHK code doesn't work if Logitech's software is running.

This is because it probably registers it's hook at a higher level than you are.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 08:09 PM »
Ah, many thanks @lanux128. That's very helpful of you.
I shall see if I can get the AHK approach and the control panel display to work nicely together, but from what you say you have already established that they probably can't. Bother.
Time to experiment, methinks.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 09:02 PM »
This is because it probably registers it's hook at a higher level than you are.
yup, that's what i thought too. so in the end i had to pick one of the two.

I shall see if I can get the AHK approach and the control panel display to work nicely together, but from what you say you have already established that they probably can't. Bother.
Time to experiment, indeed. ;)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 03:49 AM »
if you have an On the go (OTG) host cable, you can plug the receiver into your Android phone and listen to music and audio books. basic functions like play/pause and volume works.

OTG host cable

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2015, 05:49 AM »
a recent review on techspot.com gave Logitech G930 a score of 85.

The Best Wireless Gaming Headset - TechSpot - Mozilla Firefox_2015_07_14_001_ver001.png

http://www.techspot....t-wireless-headsets/

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Bother, it seems that you can't have your cake and eat it.

Though I haven't tested all these points (below) under all conditions, it seems that the Logitech software controls all the headset functions/buttons. Thus, if you disable (bypass) the G930 headset's Logitech driver and software, then:
  • (a) The little switch on the side of the headset that switches between stereo and Dolby surround sound is effectively disabled and you get stereo only, in either position.
  • (b) The G930 control panel software showing levels, equalizer, mic and avatar voice controls, headset battery status display, and surround sound status/test is not invoked (does not run).
  • (c) The programmable buttons G1,G2 and G3 are disabled (though in my experience these may not always work properly with Winamp).
  • (d) The mic presumably works as an ordinary mic, but the headset mic mute button might not work, and the mic sensitivity to background noise and filtering of same, and the listen-to-mic may not work.
  • (e) The headset volume control wheel button might not work.

Thus, with software disabled, one's experience in use of the headset would seem to be a negating of most of the headset's extra functionality and superb listening experience, for which one has paid $$$. There would be at best only a pass-through listening experience with unmodulated stereo output.

So, I wouldn't recommend buying the G930 headset if you do not intend using the software/driver.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2015, 09:02 PM »
I got some of these headphones earlier this year and have mostly been enjoying them. But lately I've been having issues with them turning off without any low battery warnings or anything.

I recently got frustrated enough with it to see if I could find what the issue was, and I found this thread:

I just upgraded to Windows 10 preview build 10166 and noticed my headset was shutting off EXACTLY every 15 minutes (I timed it). I knew this was the function that detects if anything is actually being played over the headphones, it shuts off to save the batttery.

Come to think of it, my problem with it shutting itself off began about the time I upgraded to Windows 10. I'm trying out the following solution and we'll see if it helps me:

Step 1: Exit the logitech gaming software from your task bar.
Step 2: Open up Device_Manifest.xml, which normally is located at: C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\Resources\G930\Manifest. This file can be opened with notepad.
Step 3: Look for "<battery turnOffInterval="900", I imagine this is how many seconds it will wait before activating the auto shut off feature, which 60(secs) / 900 is 15 mins, which is what the amount of time it seemed it was cutting off. Change this to "0".
Step 4: Save as to desktop
Step 5: Move the original file to a different folder(perhaps a backup folder) and it will let you know that you need administrator priviledges to do so, click continue.
Step 6: Move the new file to the location the old file was located, and again click continue after acknowledging administrative permissions.
Step 7: You can now bring the logitech gaming software back up.

I followed the steps a little differently, making a copy of the Device_Manifest.xml file in the same directory before modifying it according to step 2.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:10 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 09:45 PM »
Thanks!  I haven't upgraded my gaming box to W10, but I'll keep this in mind for when I do.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 - updating the software.
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 07:23 AM »
@Deozaan: That's odd. Maybe you are not using the latest Logitech G930 software? I don't have any file such as Device_Manifest.xml in any directory, related to G930 or otherwise. So I guess it's the Logitech gaming software that has this, not the standard G930 software. I don't have the gaming software installed.

Thinking I might have old drivers of G930 software, I checked.
The Windows 10 Device Manager showed that I was running the G930 driver v10.0.10240.16384 (2015-07-09), and when I got it to check for updates, it said I was using the latest version.
The G930 software interface did not display what version it was, but it did say that there was a newer version of the software available (right-click the G930 Systray icon to check for updates), so I let it download/update itself. However, the driver remained unchanged.
The image below shows that the installer (g930_g930.exe) updated the G930.exe software to a 2011 version (v1.9.364.0).    :tellme:

When I right-click the G930 Systray icon to check for updates, it now says I have the latest version. Still no Device_Manifest.xml in any directory, related to G930 or otherwise.

Logitech G930 - software update 2015-08-26.png
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:15 AM by IainB, Reason: Minor edits. »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 12:26 PM »
I got some of these headphones earlier this year and have mostly been enjoying them. But lately I've been having issues with them turning off without any low battery warnings or anything.

I recently got frustrated enough with it to see if I could find what the issue was, and I found this thread:

I just upgraded to Windows 10 preview build 10166 and noticed my headset was shutting off EXACTLY every 15 minutes (I timed it). I knew this was the function that detects if anything is actually being played over the headphones, it shuts off to save the batttery.

Come to think of it, my problem with it shutting itself off began about the time I upgraded to Windows 10. I'm trying out the following solution and we'll see if it helps me:

Step 1: Exit the logitech gaming software from your task bar.
Step 2: Open up Device_Manifest.xml, which normally is located at: C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\Resources\G930\Manifest. This file can be opened with notepad.
Step 3: Look for "<battery turnOffInterval="900", I imagine this is how many seconds it will wait before activating the auto shut off feature, which 60(secs) / 900 is 15 mins, which is what the amount of time it seemed it was cutting off. Change this to "0".
Step 4: Save as to desktop
Step 5: Move the original file to a different folder(perhaps a backup folder) and it will let you know that you need administrator priviledges to do so, click continue.
Step 6: Move the new file to the location the old file was located, and again click continue after acknowledging administrative permissions.
Step 7: You can now bring the logitech gaming software back up.

I followed the steps a little differently, making a copy of the Device_Manifest.xml file in the same directory before modifying it according to step 2.

Just following up to say that I haven't had problems with the headset shutting itself off since I did this. :Thmbsup:

Aside: My brother and his brother-in-law both have this same headset and were playing a game last night online together, and their headsets kept turning off randomly. So now I have some confirmation that I was not alone in experiencing this issue.

@Deozaan: That's odd. Maybe you are not using the latest Logitech G930 software? I don't have any file such as Device_Manifest.xml in any directory, related to G930 or otherwise. So I guess it's the Logitech gaming software that has this, not the standard G930 software. I don't have the gaming software installed.

I didn't know there was a difference. Maybe I only have the gaming software installed and not the... uh... other software.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 01:40 PM »

I didn't know there was a difference. Maybe I only have the gaming software installed and not the... uh... other software.

As someone who did install it, it's no different that what you have in the G software.  You can install the G930 without installing the complete gaming bit, but the gaming bit integrates it in if you install that.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2015, 08:44 PM »
...As someone who did install it, it's no different that what you have in the G software.  You can install the G930 without installing the complete gaming bit, but the gaming bit integrates it in if you install that.

Yes, that probably helps to explain it.
The G930 headset software switches the headset off after X (approx 10 or so) minutes of continuously having detected no sound input.
The tweak that @Deozaan describes is to the file Device_Manifest.xml, which is apparently set by default to switch off the headset after a specific period of time (15 mins.). What an annoying setting! - but I would presume it's a mistake (human error).
It seems that the file Device_Manifest.xml is probably installed by the gaming software (which I haven't installed).

The G930 software - for the software pre-amplifier and graphic equalizer - seems to be a fantastically good method for delivering excellent simulated surround-sound (7.1 or 5.1 channels) to the headphones at something close to or approximating the Dolby standard. The software seems to be effectively emulating a soundcard. In most cases, keeping the headset switch to the Dolby surround-sound produces the best results, but sometimes the stereo-only switch can seem to deliver an arguably better listening experience. Suck-it-and-see is the best option here, and personal preferences will probably be a deciding factor.
That's certainly the case with chip music, which can sound quite different on (say) ordinary headphones, as compared to the G930 headset with surround-sound or stereo.

Playing about with the headset and its software - particularly the software pre-amplifier and graphic equalizer - I have found that, on some audio files, for some bass frequencies, when these 2 softwares are ON, they can create a "tearing" sound (like speaker overload).
This is noticeable for some chip music - especially Impulse Tracker files (extension ".it"), where, for some bass frequencies, when these 2 softwares are ON, they can create a "tearing" sound (like speaker overload) and even a deafening accumulative noise load at those low frequencies. The latter means that some noise slowly accumulates like an increasingly noisy echo that doesn't go away or fade out. I'd never experienced that kind of sound effect before using this G930 headset.
Switching the 2 softwares OFF seems to eliminate the tearing sound, but not the accumulative noise load. The latter has so far been only noticeable when listening to Impulse Tracker files - which I think were designed for specific soundcards, most now probably being obsolete.
All of which leads me to suppose that, though the soundcard emulation in the G930 software seems to be generally very good for most listening purposes, it isn't perfect by any means for some specific kinds of output signals/frequencies.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2015, 09:56 PM »
...As someone who did install it, it's no different that what you have in the G software.  You can install the G930 without installing the complete gaming bit, but the gaming bit integrates it in if you install that.

Yes, that probably helps to explain it.
The G930 headset software switches the headset off after X (approx 10 or so) minutes of continuously having detected no sound input.
The tweak that @Deozaan describes is to the file Device_Manifest.xml, which is apparently set by default to switch off the headset after a specific period of time (15 mins.). What an annoying setting! - but I would presume it's a mistake (human error).
It seems that the file Device_Manifest.xml is probably installed by the gaming software (which I haven't installed).

And just for clarity's sake, mine does do that in windows 7.  So if I use the headset as just a headset in mumble or ventrilo, if we're not talking, it will shut off.  But if I route my game through it also, it never shuts off.  I've just dealt with it.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 01:49 PM »
The G930 software - for the software pre-amplifier and graphic equalizer - seems to be a fantastically good method for delivering excellent simulated surround-sound (7.1 or 5.1 channels) to the headphones at something close to or approximating the Dolby standard. The software seems to be effectively emulating a soundcard. In most cases, keeping the headset switch to the Dolby surround-sound produces the best results, but sometimes the stereo-only switch can seem to deliver an arguably better listening experience. Suck-it-and-see is the best option here, and personal preferences will probably be a deciding factor.

I've found that most of the time I prefer the simulated surround-sound on the headset. But there are rare cases where it just "feels" weird. Such as when I'm talking "on the phone" using my computer. The effect the simulated surround-sound has on the other person's voice is just too strange for me, so I switch it off.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2016, 02:36 AM »
UPDATE 2016-07-08:
After quite a long period of being probably roughly handled by me and my kids, the mic boom broke at the "elbow" (a potential weak spot). Fortunately, the fine wires inside did not break, and I was able to fix it by means of some duct tape holding it together around the break. Seems to be quite a robust repair - apparently hasn't weakened after several months of use. I'm glad its still intact and all working, though I actually seem to hardly ever use the mic now anyway.

Playing Fallout3 and other RPG games with this headset - with the full mixer software and surround-sound switched on - is very realistic, and you can detect noises of movement behind you and to one side.

The headset seems to have a new wear-and-tear problem - the volume thumbwheel on the headset seems to have have worn its friction face inside somewhere, so has little effect. I ended up using the laptop volume keys to adjust volume instead (which is a bit of a bind). I haven't figured out how to open up the headset without breaking it, to see if I can fix the thumbwheel.