topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any DCer's in Seattle?  (Read 9027 times)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any DCer's in Seattle?
« on: January 14, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Is anyone here on DC living and/or working in Seattle?

I'm thinking of popping over for a visit and would appreciate any travel info  :Thmbsup:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any DCer's in Seattle?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:13 PM »
I live in Bremerton, just over the pond (er, sound) from there, but I've lived in and around there.
What do you need to know?

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:50 PM »
I live in Bremerton, just over the pond (er, sound) from there, but I've lived in and around there.
What do you need to know?

Ah ha! I was looking for do's / don'ts, must-see's and of course the best places to eat!

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:24 PM »
I'm in the process of writing up all the stuff I know, mostly 'classic' Seattle things to do, with my own spin on things.
A few questions...
Will you be coming alone, or with a companion?
How long will you be staying?
When is your trip planned (soon, spring, summer)?

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 09:37 PM »
    • Will you be coming alone, or with a companion?

I will be bringing the missus

• How long will you be staying?

Hoping to do a long weekend - 3 or 4 days

• When is your trip planned (soon, spring, summer)?

Spring, all being well - say May.

Looking forward to it - going to take the ferry from Victoria.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:55 AM »
OK, here's what I got...
This list is by no means exhaustive, and I'm probably missing a lot of stuff, but this is what I liked or wanted to do when I lived closer.

DO
Go see the Space Needle (even if it's ridiculously priced) and visit all the stuff at Seattle Center.
Once people learn you went to Seattle, that's the first thing they'll ask if you did and you might as well have something to say.
If you're in that area later in the evening, you can catch an IMAX movie or Laser show.
You can even get there riding the Monorail from Westlake Center if you've a liking.
The EMP/SFM often has some cool things going on as well.

Take a walk down the waterfront.
From the Victoria ferry terminal, just head south.
Stop in at all the curio shops for souvenirs, especially this one.
Go eat at any one of the seafood restaurants there, the Crab Pot, Fisherman's, or Elliott's Oyster House (it's seafood, so it can get a little expensive, but they all serve VERY fresh food and mostly hearty portions).

Stop in at the Aquarium if you're into that sort of thing, it's a nice tourist diversion, not great, but I can't say it's not worth it.

Go to the International District (in less PC times, they called it Chinatown) and visit any one of the hole-in-the-wall bakeries for fresh Hum Bow... *drool*, and have dim sum at House of Hong or Four Seas; it's a decidedly different dining experience.
Visit the Uwajimaya store down there (it's huge, they have Pocky!) before you leave.

Take a day (or most of it) to troll the Pike Place Market.
Another Seattle classic, there's so many levels and twisting hallways you'll get the sense you haven't seen everything you wanted to, seen things you never have before (flying fish mongers!) and the street musicians can be a hoot.
Excellent hole-in-the-wall restaurants for some adventurous eating as well.
Since you're going in the spring, look up where the Maximus/Minimus sandwich truck will be for lunch.
I hear it's the best damn BBQ sandwich you'll ever have, and the truck looks like a giant iron pig.

Go to Gasworks Park, just because it's a cool place to visit, and check the time with your own shadow on the giant sundial.

DON'T
Eat in the Space Needle restaurant, it isn't worth it.

Go on the Seattle Underground tour.
Well, if you're a history buff, it's somewhat interesting, but it's been compared to touring somebody's dusty basement.

Eat at the Old Spaghetti Factory.
There are better italian places, and you could make better lasagna at home.

MAYBE
Ride the Duck.
I've heard good and bad things about it, but to me it just looks ridiculous

Visit Capitol Hill, the U-District, Ballard, etc.
All neighborhoods that have gotten recognition for some reason or other, but at the end of the day, they're just like any other city's "quirky" neighborhoods.
Athough that's usually where you go for the most interesting shopping...

If there's anything else you want to know about, have heard about or wanted to do that's not on this list, please ask and I'll get whatever info I can from folks who've been there and done it.
 :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:01 PM by Edvard, Reason: Added some links »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:37 AM »
That is so useful! Thank you. I am looking forward to a visit even more, by now. I also hear the coffee is good  :Thmbsup:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:31 PM »
Yes, that goes without saying, but if you asked around, you'd get as many opinions as, well... you'd get lots.
My hands-down favorite was Torrefazione; excellent coffee EVERY DAMN TIME.
Then Starbucks bought them and shut down all the cafe's.

Now I make it at home, and if my sister-in-law buys me a Starbucks gift card (every birthday and Christmas) I'll go there; but if I have a few extra bucks burning my pocket and I'm in the mood for a mocha in a covered paper cup, I go for Tully's (not half bad) or one of those "independent roaster" places.

None as good as Torre's was, but at least you'll get something outside of the Starbuck's standard.  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 05:38 PM »
While you are in your coffee shop, write us some new episodes of Head In the Clouds, or else! I can't cope without my new strips each week!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Oh crud, yes, sorry. Brought a stinker of a cold back with me from Atlanta courtesy of the pinhead in the next booth at our trade show.

I'll get to work this evening, I promise  :-[

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 08:36 AM »
Hey Timns, how'd your trip go?  :tellme:
I hope my "itinerary" didn't lead you astray, and hopefully you found some other cool sites to visit and things to do.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Drive down to Tacoma, go to this coffee shop called Satellite Coffee.  Get a cappuccino or a honey latte, enjoy!  I'll be there in a couple of weeks, and I'll be dropping by probably twice a day.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Hey Timns, how'd your trip go?  :tellme:
I hope my "itinerary" didn't lead you astray, and hopefully you found some other cool sites to visit and things to do.

It was very nice thanks - in fact I've been twice recently and need to go back again at the end of November. I think I've covered quite a few of the items on your list by now  :Thmbsup: and found some pretty nice restaurants to boot. In particular "Toulouse Petit" deserves a mention.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 11:22 PM »
In particular "Toulouse Petit" deserves a mention.

Well, yes, but the washrooms are too distant, necessitating a Toulouse loo trek.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 10:48 AM »
It was very nice thanks - in fact I've been twice recently and need to go back again at the end of November. I think I've covered quite a few of the items on your list by now  :Thmbsup: and found some pretty nice restaurants to boot. In particular "Toulouse Petit" deserves a mention.

Glad to help. Never heard of that restaurant, they come and go so fast nowadays, and I just don't make it across the water much.  My budget rather precludes nice restaurant trips anyway, but I'll check it out if I get the chance.
Did you get to see the King Tut Exhibit at Seattle Center? It's going until Jan 6 and it's the last time it'll be outside of Egypt, so definitely go if you haven't.  Went with my wife and son in September and my son got some great pictures.  I hear they banned cameras now; before they allowed cameras but no flash.

Drive down to Tacoma, go to this coffee shop called Satellite Coffee.  Get a cappuccino or a honey latte, enjoy!  I'll be there in a couple of weeks, and I'll be dropping by probably twice a day.

I don't make it down to Tacoma much either, but if I happen to be in the neighborhood, I promise to stop by.

In particular "Toulouse Petit" deserves a mention.

Well, yes, but the washrooms are too distant, necessitating a Toulouse loo trek.
-cranioscopical (October 30, 2012, 11:22 PM)
:nono2: ;D