Web Link Captor is my new application, which was created as part of the NANY 2012 event at DonationCoder.com
Web Link Captor is a program that takes a list of plaintext items, and builds an output document containing a list of url-linked results based on web searches for the items. It's a way to quickly build a clickable list of items from just their names, suitable for posting on your blog or a forum, etc.
Download latest version from Official Web Page: HERE
(download now available to the public).
Watch videos of the program in action: Part 1
and Part 2
- Friendly GUI lets you build flexible sets of processing steps to parse plaintext input lists and perform search and output functions.
- You can save and load projects and script configurations for easy re-use.
- Uses a set of standalone utility scripts that can be run without the windows front end GUI, and can be easily modified and expanded.
- The included backend scripts are in Python (but other languages can be used)
- Uses caching to avoid repeating web searches unnecessarily.
- Comes with output formatters for HTML, BBCode, Markdown/Wikipedia
- Comes with searching engines for google, and bing/opensearch (which can handle amazon, wikipedia, and many others)
- Flexible scoring system lets you interactively or programmatically tweak your results to get the best list of links.
Version Historyv1.11.01 - December 17, 2013
v1.10.01 - April 17, 2012
- [Feature] Scripts now create different temporary filenames in temp directory to make it much easier to debug where a search or manipulation script went wrong.
- [Documentation] Added help information for how to narrow a search to a specific site in google and how to add text to input.
- [BugFix] Excerpts in result grid that contained newlines were messing up the result grid (and potentially the results).
- [Feature] Option to check for updates at startup.
v1.08.01 - December 24, 2011
- [BugFix] Double-quotes in search strings were not being handled properly and resulting in 0 results
v1.07.01 - December 23, 2011
- [Feature] Now packaging with a minimal python addon included
v1.06.01 - December 22, 2011
- [Feature] New script combobox is hierarchical.
- [Feature] Script Tool files now specified hierarchical path and unique identifier which will make it easier to change tool labels without losing track of scripts.
- [Feature] Better error reporting on missing scripts.
v1.05.01 - December 15, 2011
- [MinorFeature] Added plaintext output script
- [BugFix] Fixed bug where blank labels could cause crash
- [Minor Feature] New option in output to remove labels from items
- [MinorFeatures] Minor improvements
v1.03.01 - December 13, 2011
- [MajorFeature] You can now download Python2 addon pack for the program, rather than using a standard python installation.
- [MinorFeatures] Lots of small user interface improvements.
v1.02.01 - December 13, 2011
- [MajorFeature] Embedded Python 2.7 DLL mode option -- MUCH faster
- [Feature] Improved all python scripting invocation features and options and error reporting
- [MinorFeature] Added more gui options including ability to hide help panels
- [MinorFeature] Small improvements to tools (ability to show readme links)
v1.01.05 - December 11, 2011
- [MajorFeature] You can now use an embedded DLL python interpretter option
- [Feature] Cache controls from options
- [Feature] Includes additional search scripts from ewemoa (thanks) [note they require some additional module installations]
- [MinorFeature] Reports elapsed time for operations
- [MinorFeature] Scripts can now include readme files and link to them from their tool descriptions.
- [MinorFeature] Some reorganization of script files
- [MinorFeature] Hover over links shows url in statusbar of web preview.
v1.01.04 - December 11, 2011
- Regular expression script improvements -- should be faster and may work on Python 2.6 now
- Tools/Scripts improvements
- Minor GUI tweaks
You can read the original NANY2012 discussion that led to this program here