topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google+  (Read 144824 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google+
« Reply #225 on: August 03, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Thanks let me check.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: August 03, 2011, 01:20 PM »
mahesh2k is actually right in his first line;

Anyone can follow any other profile in Google+ and you've no control over who can follow you.

Anyone can view the content that you choose to make publicly available (welcome to the internet!). Where I think he is misinterpreting things is that following someone is not the same as friending on FB (not as a one-way action anyway).

If someone follows you on G+, it means that your public posts will show up in their stream, nothing more. They would be able to see those public posts by going to your profile as well, that is the whole point of "public". There is no relation the other way unless you choose to follow them back.

What they can see is the public parts of your profile and your public posts, which (by definition) anybody can. If you are posting something that you do not want everybody to be able to see, don't share it with everybody, share it with your circles.

If you choose to block them, it means that you will never get any posts from them if they try to share something with you, they cannot comment on your posts -- they can't even +mention you.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2011, 04:56 PM »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Use your real name on Google+ or get minused fast
« Reply #228 on: August 14, 2011, 08:24 PM »
not sure if this has been posted already..

Use your real name on Google+ or get minused fast

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2011, 09:26 PM »
I just wish there was a way to back out of google+ without losing your google account, so I wouldn't have to deal with their asinine policies.  :down:

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: August 15, 2011, 04:30 AM »
If someone follows you on G+, it means that your public posts will show up in their stream, nothing more. They would be able to see those public posts by going to your profile as well, that is the whole point of "public". There is no relation the other way unless you choose to follow them back.
Exactly.

One more thing why i hate G+ is that, your friends and family influence the search results. So this could be a problem if you're connected to any profile which is made by link spammer or annoying friend who constantly posts links or stuff. This includes many top social media celebs who post too many links in their activity streams every hour.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: August 15, 2011, 06:59 AM »
Exactly.
I think his point was to be in opposition to your point.  The idea is, if you don't want people to see anything, don't share public.  Public is not limited by G+ in any way.  So don't use it.

One more thing why i hate G+ is that, your friends and family influence the search results. So this could be a problem if you're connected to any profile which is made by link spammer or annoying friend who constantly posts links or stuff. This includes many top social media celebs who post too many links in their activity streams every hour.
This only happens if you're connected to them.  If they're not in your circle, then you're not connected to them, as was quoted above.

G+ has problems (the real name thing is the biggest one- and with them being jerks about the whole thing after the fact, its worse), but this isn't one of them, IMO.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2011, 01:40 AM »
I think his point was to be in opposition to your point.  The idea is, if you don't want people to see anything, don't share public.  Public is not limited by G+ in any way.  So don't use it.
I think his point was not in opposition, infact i misunderstood friend feature thinking it was similar to facebook and orkut,which he pointed out in his reply. It's one way for public streams and can be controlled by the members. This point was cleared by you already but he just mentioned that where i misunderstood the friend activity of google+.

This only happens if you're connected to them.  If they're not in your circle, then you're not connected to them, as was quoted above.
Check the image again,they don't have to connect with you via G+ only. Even if you're in connection somehow using email or following them on G+ or blogger follow system etc, then this will affect SERP. For example, Matt cutts is connected to you in one way public stream activity but he's not going to follow you or many others, still his suggestions will appear in your SERP. Same goes with anyone with gmail account sending emails to you. You'll see the influence of their search pattern in your results page if they're searching google by logging in to any google service.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2011, 06:53 AM »
Check the image again,they don't have to connect with you via G+ only. Even if you're in connection somehow using email or following them on G+ or blogger follow system etc, then this will affect SERP. For example, Matt cutts is connected to you in one way public stream activity but he's not going to follow you or many others, still his suggestions will appear in your SERP. Same goes with anyone with gmail account sending emails to you. You'll see the influence of their search pattern in your results page if they're searching google by logging in to any google service.

But you *are* connected to them.  If you follow their public stream, you're connected to them- they're just not connected to you.  And if they e-mail you, then I'd say that was a connection too.

I don't like the fact that they are using this information; that shows that they are mining my contacts for that, and I'd like a way to opt out of that.  But even with that caveat, you are connected.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2011, 07:20 AM »
Yeah, that is connection. I can't imagine people clicking on certain links and keywords (pr0n) and getting tagged in results. That surely going to mess things up in search engine. It'll also affect some users when they click on certain search terms and end up getting noticed by office colleagues.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2011, 09:34 AM »
And thus we come back to why I don't want to use my real name.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2011, 01:54 AM »
I just wish there was a way to back out of google+ without losing your google account, so I wouldn't have to deal with their asinine policies.  :down:

just saw this today while fiddling around the settings. might come in handy..

firefox_22_08_11_002.png

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: August 22, 2011, 06:19 AM »
i just noticed that we have a head-start over Google on the "GooglePlus" name. there is an excellent Farr plugin with that name from way back in 2008. ;D

GooglePlus - View Google search results in FARR as you type

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: October 19, 2011, 05:00 PM »
"Google+ will soon support pseudonyms, moving away from strict real name ID policy, says +Vic Gundotra at #w2s"

http://twitter.com/s...s/126770022407348226

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2011, 05:30 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Well... I doubt that.