topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Sony v. Hotz: Sony Sends a Dangerous Message to Researchers -- and Its Customers  (Read 10842 times)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Seems the case was settled (dropped?) last week.

Sony has agreed to drop a lawsuit against a hacker who published the secret key used to jailbreak the PlayStation 3, in exchange for promises he will drop all future attempts to unlock the game console.

Also the guy donated on the money he himself was donated to help fight against Sony, to the EFF.

Hotz, who sought private donations to pay the legal expenses of fighting Sony's suit, promised to give the money away if there were any remaining funds once the litigation ended.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'm a bit disappointed he didn't fight Sony. Seemed to me like he had a really good case, not to mention quite a bit of support.

On the other hand, if I were in his shoes, I may have done the same thing.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Only companies should take on someone like Sony. No point an individual risking any sort of financial security for the rest of their lives just to fight an unfair fight anyway.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Only companies should take on someone like Sony. No point an individual risking any sort of financial security for the rest of their lives just to fight an unfair fight anyway.
+1.

Even if Geohotz had a reasonable case, there's no way in hell he could afford anything to match the army of lovers lawyers that Sony has. Best case scenario would be dragging the thing on for eternities... or rather, until Geohotz had run out of money.
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One man just won a ruling against Sony in Finland since a new game he purchased for his PS3 required the removal of OtherOS:

http://psx-scene.com...er-os-removal-85452/

Though, once you read the fine print, you realize that the Consumer Complaints Board, who made the ruling, have no legal authority to enforce the ruling.

The CCB does not have the power to enforce its ruling, but the opinion of the CCB in Finland is considered by the courts in a dispute.

Even still, it seems like it sets a precedent.