topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Easier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC  (Read 22447 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Easier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC
« on: November 02, 2010, 03:05 AM »
Hello folks:
       i am trying my hands on WINPE 2.0 DISC. I downloaded the VISTA WAIK from From Here:. Of course a User needs to have a OEM version of OS.

I realised that a user has to work from cmd prompt: at one point i managed to copy and mount imagex something....
  But i found out it is not easy to make one, i need to make a Bootable 2.0 PE Disc, but i am having a difficult time to add again  mount ??? : so i am asking if some users from Donation Coder could help me.

Is their a GUI for making a WinPE 2.0 Disc: or some batch file already made : That can accomplish this task. I need to add making plugins: like in Barte Disc.
I found one guide here:Windows PE 2.0 Guide:
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:11 AM by hulkbuster »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Easier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:33 AM »
Winbuilder - Download the main Winbuilder program, then choose the VistaPE project.

See the three steps at the end of the first post here.

If that server fails, then add vistape.winbuilder.net and try again.

Very simple to create plugins for it, I made a few a while ago but haven't played with WinBuilder recently - might have another look at the Win7PE project.

For a WinPE3 disc it probably doesn't get much simpler than Make_PE3.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:51 AM by 4wd »

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 02:18 AM »
Thank you 4wd, i couldn't find too much about WINPE 2.0 but 7PE 3.0 seems to be a popular among the two. And i am trying my hands on WINPE3 .0.
        Same guy in 911cd.net:, i am following that thread carefully, but will soon abandon it:  if it consumes more time to understand and make plugins. BartePE is way less sophisticated and easy to build.

Thanks for redirecting, which do you prefer v2.0 or v3.0 orBartePe or any other.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:53 AM »
I use WinBuilder to build PEs, (I used to use BartPE a lot in the past but WinBuilder is a lot easier), what type of PE depends on what I want it for.

LiveXP - I'm more familiar with it and it's good for small size ISO, (fit on a 180MB CD with a few utilities), and RAM requirements are lower.
VistaPE/Win7PE - If it's going to be used with esoteric hardware, (Vista/7 include storage drivers that will run on almost anything without trying to hack more in), and there's no RAM constraint.

I used to create multiboot PE based USB flash drives with:

1) WinBuilder - To create the PE environments, both LiveXP & VistaPE/7PE.
2) Various disk images - dban, ranish, supergrub, memtest, gag, ntpass, etc.
3) Linux Live - usually Puppy or DSL.
4) Parted Magic
5) Various DOS apps - mbrtool, etc.
6) Windows apps - ImgBurn, hardware info, etc.
7) Optional XP installer.

All bundled up together using USB_Multiboot.  Probably a bit over the top but it was fun just to get it working.

But I also did PE2/3 multiple boot USB HDD/flash, directly adding the various wim files by editing the bcd file with bcdedit to add them in, as per: Integrating multiple version of Vista  Six PE2 environments on the one flash drive.

H7PluginBuilder makes plugin building reasonably easy, minor editing required afterwards to tweak them but better than trying from scratch.  It's 3 years old but will generate BartPE and WinBuilder plugins.

It's been about 10 months since I last played with making PEs but I still try to keep up with the latest methods - I'll probably swing to WinPE3 and update the various plugins I had.

Perhaps I should have said, "Make_PE3 is the simplest way to create a simple Live Win7 PE."  Adding stuff to it will be a bit more involved, you're better off using WinBuilder and one of the Win7PE projects found here, it will be easier to add stuff to.

Addendum: Just found this: Windows Forensic Environment - a Windows PE designed for forensic analysis of the system, (ie. it won't write anything to the system thus possibly corrupting evidence).  I think I'm going to have to pull out WinBuilder again to have a play  8)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:21 AM by 4wd »

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:26 PM »
Wow that's quite a mouthful of stuffs you threw: although i quite dont have the use for MultiBoot USB-stick and other material except for H7PluginBuilder. It certainly is easy i.e., after making it myself. The readme tab for H7PluginBuilder is not so clear , it doesn't have a chm helpfile. Not to mention, how to use script on Winbuilder ,theory on text is ok but it would be great with pictures. :(

I downloaded Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) from here: whch required me to validate.  However WAIK 1.1 Vista + Server 2008 from Here: which didn't require validation.  Anyways, i guess i can use the former WAIK too for making PE.

4wd can you please help me out: i downloaded all the necessary scripts to be used in VistaPE CAPI, and i also selected all the necessary source, target and the place for iso to be created . But i am getting some errors:
http://www.freepicsupload.com/#php3GYGjR-Snap_001.png

http://www.freepicsupload.com/#php3GYGjR-Snap_003.png

What do i do from here: any suggestion from your part would be of tremendous help.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:29 PM by hulkbuster »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 06:32 PM »
Where are you running WinBuilder from, (path/folder)?

EDIT: If you're running WinBuilder from the Desktop, try creating it's own directory, (eg. D:\WinBuilder), copy it there and run it.  The above message looks like you're trying to run it from the Desktop.

Can you send/PM me the log file it generates?

The last version of H7PluginBulder is 1.4.0 available here - (not obvious from the thread I pointed to).  I'll have to install a 32bit VM to play with it...just remembered how to use it, I'll add a picture later.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:36 PM by 4wd »

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 12:41 AM »
Thank you for that, ( i was running Winbuilder from Desktop all along)  i did and made a Directory for the downloaded Project folder in a folder called WinBuilder and converted Barte .inf file to scripts and copied few Barte plugins folder wihit scripts in it: to  C:\WinBuilder\Projects\VistaPE-CAPI\Apps\HD Tasks

On hitting the play button i got errors: one thread here clearly states :BartPE plugins in WinBuilder project: methods to build a plugin from Barte plugins.
I am novice at these things: :)

This is my error log:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 05:03 AM »
Thank you for that, ( i was running Winbuilder from Desktop all along)  i did and made a Directory for the downloaded Project folder in a folder called WinBuilder and converted Barte .inf file to scripts and copied few Barte plugins folder wihit scripts in it: to  C:\WinBuilder\Projects\VistaPE-CAPI\Apps\HD Tasks

On hitting the play button i got errors: one thread here clearly states :BartPE plugins in WinBuilder project: methods to build a plugin from Barte plugins.

I think you should start from scratch to get a feel for WinBuilder first.

1) Delete, (or move), the WinBuilder\Projects directory, (WinBuilder will create it as necessary), so all you have is WinBuilder.exe and WinBuilder.ini in the directory.
2) Run WinBuilder and go to its Download Center, make sure the vistape.boot-land.net is ticked, select Minimum from the dropdown menu and then hit Download.  There will be about 16MB to download.

This will download the minimum requirements to create a VistaPE disc.  See if that works.

greenshot_2010-11-06_20-59-11.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

BartPE plugins will probably need a little bit of tweaking to get them working, (some do, some don't).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:06 AM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 05:16 AM »
Using H7PluginBuilder

For this example we'll do something simple, (I won't test if it works in a PE afterwards because it'll need some tweaks), by creating a plugin of MyDefrag, you'll still get the general idea.

Once around the block first, (see first pic):
A - Resets the interface back to default ready for plugin creation.
B - Import a PEBuilder plugin or monitor installs from FileMon, InstallRite or InstallWatch which can then be saved as WinBuilder plugins.
C - Batch conversion of PEBuilder plugins.
D - Import a .reg file and save as a PEBuilder/WinBuilder plugin.
E - Monitor the installation of a program and capture its registry entries and files to be saved as a plugin.
F - Allows you to select an .ocx or .dll and then capture the registry change when it's registered.
G - PEBuilder specific settings.
H - WinBuilder specific settings.
J - H7PluginBuilder specific settings.
K - Whether or not the generated plugin will be enabled in PEBuilder/WinBuilder by default.
1 - Enable if you want to be able to choose an output folder at 2.

I don't know if D, E & F work - I've never used them.  I do know it will convert PEBuilder plugins but WinBuilder can do that also.

Set up H7PluginBuilder, (H7PB), as follows, (choose your own Target dir of course):
01.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

Set the WinBuilder options as follows, (click button H in first pic):
02.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

Click the Explorer tab at the bottom of the left panel and then right-click the Programs folder and select Grab Folder:
03.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

Select the MyDefrag folder in C:\Program Files
04.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

All the files will now show up in the explorer panel, untick the ones not required:
05.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

Click on the Registry tab at the top of the panel, right-click HKEY_CURRENT_USER and select Import:
06.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

The .reg file being imported is the registry entries MyDefrag creates in HKCU/Software/MyDefrag, (go into regedit and just export them):
07.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

The entries will be imported and you'll have the following:
08.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

By clicking the Blue line under the panel you can edit/add various entries:
09.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

Right-click on the last entry and select Remove:
10.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

Go back to the Main tab, right-click on the MyDefrag.exe file, select Properties and set as below, change Shortcut->QuickLaunch->Create to True and edit WinBuilder->Section to say Files.  After that click the Explorer tab at the bottom and for the rest of the files being added also change WinBuilder->Section to Files:
11.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC
12.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

These shows what files we are keeping from all the added ones, click the Build button.  If the Target file already exists then you will get a warning exclamation mark up the top right:
13.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

The result panel will show the basic script without the encoded files.  The actual MyDefrag.script in the output directory will contain the files encoded within it, (that's why it's 996KB):
14.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

The resulting script is attached as is some working plugins I made for WinBuilder VistaPE011.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Hello 4wd, that was really generous of you.http://www.freepicsupload.com/#phpeWUsdu-a.gif
. If only the author of H7Builder had taken the trouble to make a guide: this  thread would not have started. Although i didn't have much problem with H7WinBuilder. With H7Builder : i feel their is not limit to adding plugins except getting the scripts right.
I removed the previous WINPE and installed WINPE for W7: the process stoped with an error on 26th step. Can't find a proper word for explaining. The project folder and its content that would be lost on the process of creating the Disc: thankfully i have it saved in my External HDD.
This thread clearly stated:
http://www.freepicsupload.com/#phpeWUsdu-Snap_001.png

So i have to edit the updates.ini if i have to add any folder: C:\WinBuilder\Projects\VistaPE-CAPI\Apps

Can you provide same guide on how to work with Winbuilder i.e., to make a WINPE DISC. 

Hope i am not asking too much of your time.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 07:44 PM »
Hello 4wd, that was really generous of you.

No problem.

Can you provide same guide on how to work with Winbuilder i.e., to make a WINPE DISC.

For Win7PE, OK - give me a day.

Hope i am not asking too much of your time.

I'm rich in time :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 08:52 PM »
For this exercise we'll be creating 7PE that uses bbLean as its shell, download it from the link in the first post here.

The reasons:
1) It's a small download, ~58MB - might not mean much to you but since I only have 512k ADSL I'm not going to download something that requires the WAIK, (1.7GB = 11 hours), if I don't need it.
2) It boots fast and looks good.
3) It WORKS - WinBuilder project servers seem to have gone downhill since the last time I got into this.  Now it's better to grab a project from the forum but it's a mess trying to find the latest versions of what, (for Win7PEs at least, I'll give LiveXP a go later).

Extract the archive into a directory, (not a root directory, you'll get an error when you build):

Run WinBuilder and select your source path for Win7 DVD, (x86 or x64), by hitting the Source button, (I've selected P: where an image of Win7HP x86 is mounted), and then press Play:

After a few minutes you'll end up with an ISO:

And to prove it worked, here it is running in VirtualBox:

If you get an error saying unable to change drive then you are running WinBuilder from a root directory.

If you get an error saying unable to mount source images, (WIMs), then check that you are not running WinBuilder from a root directory, reboot the PC and try running again.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 01:32 PM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 05:43 AM »
Continuing with bbLean 7PE.

Now to create a plugin for SoftPerfect Network Scanner.

Netscan isn't a fully portable program it has system dependencies which we'll need to integrate.

Download netscan.exe and archive it into netscan.7z:
00.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

The easiest way to create a plugin is to find one that's similar and adapt it, in this case copy the file Apps\Accessories\HxD.script to Apps\Network and rename it to Netscan.script:

Run WinBuilder and you'll get the following picture.  Highlight Apps\Network\HxD v1.7.7.0 and click the Edit button (1):

Click on the Description button and edit as follows (the logo is straight from the SoftPerfect website):

Click on the Attachments button, highlight the HxDen.7z file and click the Remove File(s) button, answer Yes:

Click the Add.. button and then add the netscan.7z file you created:

Click on the Source button, delete the [Download] section and change the ones marked with * as follows, click the Save button then the Close button:

You should end up back on the main page, change the Start menu folder to Network and tick the Create QuickLaunch Shortcut as follows:
08.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

Tick the Addons\Additional Files entry and then click the Open Source Directory button:
09.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

Navigate down to Windows\System32 and copy the following files into it:
NOTE: Copy x86 files if you're building an x86 PE, or x64 files if you're building a x64 PE.  Actually now I've thought about it, since netscan.exe is a 32bit program probably the x86 binaries are all that's needed.
10.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

Now build the PE and it should give you this:
11.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

It LIVES!!
12.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC

EDIT: Attached plugin so you can compare.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 01:31 PM by 4wd »

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 01:22 PM »
hello 4wd, thank you once again for taking your time out for this thread.
Sorry for late acknowledgement, all this time i was downloading WAIK 1.1 for Vista . I am on a narrowband ! and making plugins through trial and error.
Prior to your new post i,e., using bbLean as shell for Win PE3.0 found Here:
         My main issue was with making a final ISO after downloading all the needed plugins from Winbuilder, which i figured it:
       http://www.freepicsupload.com/#phpr7i6y1-Snap01.png

The error things that Winbuilder poped up: i just redownloaded the plugin scripts and then it was OK.

I don't like to bite more than i can chew: going through BBlean thread would be learning new thing from scratch.
I was going through the pic guide: The script generated for MyDefrag was 997KB: do i need to put this to project folder i.e., C:\WinBuilder\Projects\VistaPE-CAPI\Apps\HD Tasks\Diagnostic

I want few plugins like Notepad++, Irfanview, Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 , Acronis True Image 14, XYplorer 9.60, Q-Dir 4.19 , Adobe Acrobat 5/7 ,Winzip , UltraISO etc etc some with complicated registry in Winpe. Would it be possible with your methods.  http://www.freepicsupload.com/#phpr7i6y1-36_19_1lm5d.gif

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 07:38 PM »
I want few plugins like Notepad++, Irfanview, Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 , Acronis True Image 14, XYplorer 9.60, Q-Dir 4.19 , Adobe Acrobat 5/7 ,Winzip , UltraISO etc etc some with complicated registry in Winpe. Would it be possible with your methods.

I'll be downloading VistaPE and the WAIK at the library, their connection is 3-4 times faster than mine ;)

Creating plugins will definitely be a fair bit of trial and error.

No need to go through the thread for BB-7PE, bbLean 7PE will accept almost all the Vista-CAPI plugins, (as will pretty much any of the WinPE3 projects).  So you only need to download the project and then add in whatever scripts you want from VistPE, (actually, VistaPE-CAPI now includes bbLean as one of the shells so you can also go the other way - add plugins from the BB-7PE project to VistaPE).

Regarding your above examples, (search through the forums first, someone may have already done one that hasn't been integrated):
WinZip - Either use the already created/working 7Zip plugin or use it as the basis for a WinZip plugin;
Q-Dir   - Win7RescuePE includes it, attached below so you can tweak/integrate;
IrfanView - Also in the Win7RescuePE (download link in Post #14);
NotePad++ - Already in VistaPE (xVPE Np++.script);
UltraISO - In LiveXP project, should be easy to adapt.  Available at Galapo's LiveXP scripts;
XYPlorer - Set it up how you want then run it in portable mode, script would be easy - basically same as the netscan one above;

Acronis DD + TI - You really can't go past Mustang's scripts, he has one for DD10 and TI11 that are pretty much fully functional.  They do require payment though, DD is $4.99 and TI is $9.99 - (I've bought both in the past but no longer use Acronis programs).  He also has MustangPEBuilder2 for creating WinPE2 discs as well as a couple of PE building tutorials.  IIRC, Acronis provide BartPE plugins for registered users, these can be converted to Winbuilder scripts.

There's also a couple of free plugins for Acronis TI, here for an earlier version of VistaPE/TI and here for TI2010 and VistaPE-Leopard - both should be relatively easy to update for later TI versions, it's just a matter of comparing what value's are required with what's in the registry and extra files - I've done it before in updating a TI plugin from an earlier version, (sorry I don't have access to it, all my backups are located elsewhere ATM).

When you say Acrobat, do you mean Acrobat or Acrobat Reader ?

There's bound to be a BartPE or WinBuilder script for almost anything, just do a Google search: eg. +acrobat +(bartpe|pebuilder|winbuilder)

Then it's just a matter of converting/tweaking to get it working.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:44 PM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 12:14 AM »
For BB-7PE, (VistaPE is depreciated and not updated), here's a prelim WinZip plugin cobbled together after a couple of hours from the 7-Zip & Partition Find and Mount scripts, a log created by RegShot of the WinZip install and grabbing reg entries from within the PE.  Registry entries were converted using H7PB.

It's for WinZip 32bit, licensing info works and it runs.

Things that don't work that you can fix ;)
1) Haven't added optional 64bit support - check out the 7Zip script to see how they do it;
2) Haven't tested it.

For it to work you need to 7Zip your WinZip directory as follows and Attach it into the script, (as shown in the NetScan demo above).

2010-11-16_17-05-52.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC
2010-11-16_17-07-04.jpgEasier way to make a WINPE 2.0 DISC
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:16 AM by 4wd »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WinPE
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 07:39 AM »
image29.jpg

http://www.partition...ool.com/personal.htm

Early editions of EASEUS Partition Master can build a Linux based bootable CD to do some limited partition managements without OS. The latest 8.0.1 version comes up with the built-in WinPE Bootalbe CD, the most powerful bootable CD ever, enables you to manage partitions under a pre-OS or no-OS environment that is just the same as running the software within the OS.
2011-04-13_143809.gif

EASEUS Partition Master enables you to create bootable CD/DVD to manage partitions when Operating System crashes. With it, you can resize the primary drive to reinstall other Operating Systems or even manage partitions on a computer without Operating System. Apart from high hardware compatibility and software stability, functions provided by WinPE bootable disk are the same as that under the Windows, like extending (system) partition or settling low disk space and managing disk space on MBR and GUID Partition Table (GPT) disk. What's more, RAID can be perfectly supported under WinPE bootable disk.

Read the rest of the article.