topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: hooeey webprint - browser history tool  (Read 5343 times)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hooeey webprint - browser history tool
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:52 PM »
I've finally come across a really interesting app made specifically to maintain a (plain text) searchable database of your browsing history. I think it deserves an indepth review, so if someone can find the time to write one after using it for a while that'd be great.  :-[

hooeey.jpg

Here's a quick rundown of the main points. I am not affiliated in any way with this product.

• hooeey webprint (still in beta)
  • Adobe Air app (which, for me, equates to a somewhat annoying UI)
  • Works with IE and Firefox
  • Records plaintext (html) and screenshots (just the visible part of the page, screenshot recording can be disabled)
  • Realtime recording worked well for all the pages I opened within the browser, when I opened ~20 pages using a bookmark manager (Linkman Lite) however, the opened pages didn't show up in the catalog immediately... they did show up one by one as I activated those tabs in the browser.
  • Auto-tags pages and also lets you tag saved pages manually - creates two separate tag clouds for auto & custom tags.
  • Provides stats using charts (websites by time spent, websites by visits)
  • Data is stored locally. The privacy policy seems acceptable to my untrained eye.
  • Data can be exported locally (plaintext (.csv) export only, no thumbs, no stats), to their paid ($5/month) cloud service, or to 3rd party cloud services - Zoho, Google Docs, Amazon S3 - (no thumbs, "no browsed pages" <- I'm not clear about what they mean by this.)
  • Password protection available for the local database - the thumbs for browsed webpages show up as a faded background when you're prompted for the password *serious eyerolling*, I assume a glaring flaw like this will be brought to their notice and fixed in a future version.
  • Allows for blocklists to disable recording specific sites, wildcards and keyword filters, currently not implemented, would be welcome here.
  • Performance: Doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on system or browsing performance. Currently using a little under 100 MB memory on my system with a similar no. of pages (with screenshots) stored.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:51 AM by nosh »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: hooeey webprint - browser history tool
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:03 AM »
thanks for posting this, nosh! this looks a promising idea but the Adobe Air requirement bothers me a bit. maybe one of these days, i'll give it a try.