topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to Use a School Project to Score Political Points 101  (Read 3952 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Student: But in May of 2009 you voted Yes on a bill that would cut $550 million to the DOE and a lot of that was for CTE.

Huppenthal: Well...the..Tell me a little more about that vote. What committee did it take place in?

Student: I actually have that right here.

(Student hands Huppenthal a record of the vote. Huppenthal is silent, then laughs nervously.)

Student: This bill actually passed, and then it passed again in the House of Representatives, and ended up cutting $550 million.

I don't really know which side is the correct one so I'm posting both.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to Use a School Project to Score Political Points 101
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 09:24 AM »
I have no opinion on the actual politics of this article as I despise all politicians and political parties equally, but I am extremely pleased when someone calls a politician on a controversial vote *and* has the irrefutable evidence right there to back it up so there's no chance of being able to weasel out of anything.

Kudos to that student!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:04 PM »
The Huffington Post makes it look like the politician was caught off guard and didn't know how to respond to the $550 million being cut from the education budget, so he just left.

The problem is that supposedly the video was edited from the student's actual video to shine a bad light on the politician.

Supposedly the student was mistaken about the budget cuts. Something weird & confusing, like money was cut from the budget, but even more was put back in via other methods.
Supposedly the politician returned with more information and the whole thing was quite amicable and friendly.
Supposedly even the student is angry that his video was manipulated to spread this false information.
Supposedly the person responsible (perhaps indirectly) for the edited video is this politician's opponent, who lost to him during the previous election.

As Paul Keith said, there's not really much way of knowing which parts of the story are true without more information.

It's a pretty sad time when even the "video or it didn't happen" doesn't mean it really happened.

bgd77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 07:28 AM »
I think it is a very good thing that there are people that confront the politicians and do not just sit and complain about them. This is what we all should be doing. Even if the student is not right or if the video is edited to make the politician look bad (shame on them in this case!!!), I think we have something to learn from this.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 09:11 PM »
I think it is a very good thing that there are people that confront the politicians and do not just sit and complain about them. This is what we all should be doing. Even if the student is not right or if the video is edited to make the politician look bad (shame on them in this case!!!), I think we have something to learn from this.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make & probably didn't succeed very well at doing it. Everyone who is in a position of power should be made accountable for their actions.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 02:04 PM »

That was exactly the point I was trying to make & probably didn't succeed very well at doing it. Everyone who is in a position of power should be made accountable for their actions.

I agree.